Couch 2 5k... Anyone starting?

Options
2»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I’ve done the program before but only got up through week 5 and stopped for whatever reason (even after that 20 min Run!) I am planning on doing this again but for now I’m not because I’m avoiding the gym until it gets a little less busy. I don’t want to run outside it’s too cold.

January is almost over, gyms everywhere will begin to get back to normal lol! I usually avoid January gym rush too, thankfully we don't get much of winter in SoCal and I have a treadmill at home.

Yeah, I’ve heard once you get past Valentine’s Day, gyms go back to normal lol. I went after work that first week of the new year and it was insane I couldn’t do anything but stand and wait (I go to a small gym)
  • melissa112
    melissa112 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've just started today so I'm glad to find others in a similar situation. We can push each other through the tough times!

I used to be really active. I walked my dog 7 miles a day on all sorts of terrain, plus other exercise. Over the years the weight has crept on and my dog is getting older
  • melissa112
    melissa112 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    melissa112 wrote: »
    I've just started today so I'm glad to find others in a similar situation. We can push each other through the tough times!

I used to be really active. I walked my dog 7 miles a day on all sorts of terrain, plus other exercise. Over the years the weight has crept on and my dog is getting older

I'm not sure why half my post cut off. I did say that as my dog is getting older, she can't walk too far and I didn't realize how fit she kept me.

Day 1 was good apart from some calf pain and feeling like my feet were going numb! Has anyone else experienced this?
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ran my first 5k without stopping (then walked 5k home) today I did the same thing and it felt great. Each week I'm going to increase my distance by 10% until I'm running the whole way. I'm surprised at how much fun it is, and how good I feel afterwards
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 1 Day 2 yesterday. Starting a running program (outside) in January in Minnesota isn't the easiest, but if I don't start now I never will.
  • mathdad41
    mathdad41 Posts: 119 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I've been stuck on W4D1 all week. I make it through the 2nd 3min run but have had to take extra walking time walking before the last 5min run. the last 2 times I tried it I even had to stop during the last 5min run and walk. So obviously I haven't counted it yet. At least I'm moving and it's still beneficial even though I haven't been able to complete it.

I'm hoping it's because my sleep hasn't been good lately. Dealing with a lot of stress that is affecting my length and quality of sleep. I slept better last night so I might give it another go tonight even though it's an "off" day.

This has all been done on a treadmill at gym cause it's cold out here in Michigan and I don't have adequate cold weather running clothes. Plus sweat so much I would prob have hypothermia by the end HA. Today is supposed to warm up to 48 so I might try to give that a whirl outside to see if that helps.

It's frustrating as I want to try my first 5k on St. Patrick's day and I'm not sure I am progressing enough to do so. I haven't signed up yet. Thinking I might just to force me to do it. It would suck to do it but have to walk, but at least it would be a starting point and use it to motivate for the next one. Better than not doing it at all I suppose.
  • kennyscott77377
    kennyscott77377 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 days 3 tonight, I've not done it yet. but it's been tough.

I've lost almost 12 lbs since the start of the year. I always find the first day of each week the hardest as the expectations on your body change with the increased run times, but the shin splints have passed almost, and I can feel the start of the benefits.

I only need to lost another 26 lbs to get to my target weight, but as im a keen mountain biker who already cycles 30/40 miles per week, this is having an added benefit to that.

I need to start lifting weights which is next on the hit list for me.

plus the 10k and then up that to a half marathon.
  • arpank
    arpank Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hey all!
    I'm just starting the C25k running program today! It will be day one week one for me. Would like more MFP active buddies! I used to be a runner/jogger a 2-3 years ago but unfortunately stopped. Gained weight and here I am starting all over again. And it feels like I've never ran before, lol. Sucks!
    I miss running, it was a great escape!!!

Feel free to add me!
    :wink:

I am in the same boat. I was also a runner 2-3 years ago but stopped after getting pregnant and gained lots of weight. I am back in it again as my baby is 18 months now. I just did Week 3 Day 3. Feel free to add me.