Thoughts on bread?

Options
13»

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    You people are killing me! I have celiac disease and gluten-free bread is just sadness in a bag. I am now feeling compelled to drive over an hour to a spectacular gluten-free bakery (Mariposa, for those of you in the SF bay area) and load up on all the crusty goodness so I can dedicate a day's worth of calories to just bread!

The GF free bread of 2018 is still miles better than the hard weird GF free bread of the 80's.
    Wasnt enough butter in the pack to help that *kitten* slide down

Yuck! I was only diagnosed about 8 years ago, around the time gf became a fad, so I benefited from all the focus on developing palatable gf substitutes, and the consumer support for the occasional gf bakery and deli.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    spvlat wrote: »
    A lot of people say that carbs are a "no" when it comes to weight loss. Do you think that a couple of slices of bread is going to prevent someone from losing weight even if the total amount of calories consumed per day is not overreached? In the past while I tried to lose weight, my nutritionist and I noticed that my body had a hard time metabolizing certain kinds of complex carbohydrates (especially pasta). It's been a few years since then and I'm trying to lose a couple of pounds by myself now and I was wondering if I could have avocado toast for breakfast again without sabotaging my diet.

If your body couldn't metabolize complex carbs, they would just pass through your body without yielding up calories. Not being able to metabolize something is not the cause of weight gain or inability to lose weight. It would cause you to lose weight.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I eat avocado toast at least twice a week and I’ve lost 95 lbs! That’s not to make fun of your question, but to encourage you to forget about what you’ve been told about dieting “rules”. Instead, read the stickies on MFP and eat what you like while counting calories to stay in a deficit and you’ll lose weight.
  • mikeb4bjj
    mikeb4bjj Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My thoughts? Bread is tasty, I like it.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I've got nothing against bread.

It usually tastes great BUT it's also usually 80-120 cals per slice and tastes even better toasted with butter (another 100 cals per tbsp).

Enough for me to eat it only in moderation and, if I have to choose between it and something else based on cals, I usually choose something else.

BTW, the same reasoning applies for me to pasta, rice, potatoes and any other "starchy" food.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I love bread. I grew up in Croatia where people eat bread with everything, and where there's a bakery on every corner.

There's nothing like freshly baked bread with salted butter. Yum.

Having said that, I really had to moderate how much bread I'm eating, as it's one of the easiest foods to overeat. I could so easily eat over 1000 calories of bread in a sitting, and it wouldn't even get me full.

These days I tend to buy presliced sourdough, and have about 200 calories worth with breakfast. Other bread is an occasional treat.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I decided to eat less bread than I have been. Eating 1/2 sandwiches and using just one part of a hamburger bun for hamburgers. Using the more nutritious bread, though. Adding more vegetables to lunch to make up for smaller sandwiches. That is working for me.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

I grew up where if I wanted a snack as a child and there was nothing, Mum would say " There have some bread " lol.
    Bakeries are everywhere and you always have fresh bread on the table.

I looove bread. I bought bread maker recently and make dough for these delicious,white bread rolls and smell of fresh baked bread...oh man.

And I lose just fine . There is no chance I am gonna cut it out or replace it with some low calorie,cardboard crap version . I count it in my daily allowance and for me,carbs are worth the calories .
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    THIS

aeloine wrote: »
    x7g8xna8w341.jpg
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    Options
    I love bread! (and pasta, rice, couscous, bulgur, potatoes and all the other things that are supposed to be soooo bad for you *kidding*). I don't care if it's white of wholegrain as long as it's not those useless toasts you get in the UK. A bread needs to have volume, and a fantastic crust, and taste. Sure, no problem losing weight with about 55% carbs a day.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I like wholegrain bread and enjoy some of it daily. It never hindered my weight loss as when I was losing I still had a calorie deficit.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I eat high fiber English muffins like its my job, and regular bread as well. I find bread to be very satisfying, so I just make sure to watch my portions.
  • Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I imagine someone else already said this, but pay attention to the macros suggested by MFP. If you're on the app, go to the space where you log your food, scroll down and tap on nutrition (my app is another language, not sure what it would be called in English). There, you'll see the suggested amounts of carbs, protein and fat per day.

I've been more or less following the MFP settings. I can still have bread, am losing weight and am feeling so much more energetic thanks to following the macros.
  • 17adf33
    17adf33 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Not a great fan, but useful for packed lunches. Potatoes a different story!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I love bread