Working out during the school year

Options
Hi There,

So I finally got serious about becoming a healthier person a few weeks ago. I feel so much better already! But, I'm a little concerned for the upcoming school year. I'm an orchestra teacher and the school year is about to start up. Right now, I have the luxury of being able to sleep until about 9 am and work out right after I get up, or in the afternoon around 3:00. Once the school year starts though, I'll be working from about 7:15-5:00 every day. So, for all the teachers out there, do you work out in the mornings or in the evenings? How did you manage fitting in regular workouts with all of your outside of work hours related school activities? Also, how did you manage food intake throughout the day? (My class schedule means that I'll be teaching from about 8:00-12:00 before I get any real breaks and I can't really eat snacks while I'm teaching my students) Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... I'm a high school English teacher and have NO clue how this is going to work come Wednesday (when I go back!) But here is my thought... a childish daily schedule? I've been working on mine and here is what I have so far....

5am - wake up
    6am - egg whites or oatmeal
    7:10am (when the kids come in) - protein shake
    9:36am (lunch time???) - maybe some greek yogurt with sugar free preserves
    11:30 (every other day planning) - an apple or piece of fruit on the days I have kids, and maybe some soup or something the days that I have planning?
    2:15 - piece of fruit or something light
    3:30pm - banana (i think the sugar may help my workout?)
    4pm - workout
    6pm - dinner?

Ok, so I know it's A LOT of eating, but like I said, I think if I set times for myself then I will be more apt to follow through once all of the school year drama starts!

Good luck this year!!!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My mom is an elementary school teacher who is hypoglycemic & has the same issues! She bought a small fridge for her classroom and keeps protein drinks on hand so she can have one halfway through her morning. It only takes a few moments to down one of those, and it keeps her going.
    As far as exercise, Mom generally has to wait 'til after supper. She has one of those gazelle machines, she'll work out on it for half an hour, or an hour if she's not too exhausted, at 7 or 8 at night. She really has to force herself to do it, especially after a long day, but it's worth it because she sleeps more soundly & well when she has exercised.

Personally, just from watching her, I tend to think that the stress of teaching is exercise enough! Non-teachers really have *no* idea how hard y'all work... especially people like band, choir and orchestra teachers who are expected to put on evening concerts & school assemblies on top of everything else. You somehow get 18 months' worth of work done in 10 months, and then spend half your summers "off" taking recertification classes at your own expense... Kudos to you, and thank you for all you do!
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    i'm a speech teacher in the public school system.
    my day is a series of 30-minute sessions so I am able to grab a quick yogurt or grapes etc during transition time.

I work out early am.
    m, w, fri i go to bootcamp 5:30-6:30am
    and t, th I hit the gym from 5-7am
    I also try to run on my lunch break or immediately after work.

Setting a concrete schedule has really helped me.

Good Luck!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm an English teacher and about to start in a new school soon too. I'll be working 8am-5pm, 6.30pm twice a week. I plan to workout both weekend days and hopefully 2 evenings. I'm a little nervous, as I currently workout about 6 days a week, sometimes twice a day, and I can do it whenever I feel like it. My husband goes to the gym at night, which will help, I'm sure.
    As for meals/ eating, I think that will require some planning. I plan to pack yoghurt with fruit and oats for the mid morning, and fruit/ cheese etc for afternoon. I'll try to stick with whatever protein/ meat they serve at lunch and the salad bar.
    Good luck!! Teachers work so hard, and it can be a stressful job.
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Hiya,
    I'm a secondary school teacher. When I started this 18mos ago my work schedule was my biggest issue but now that I'm firmly planted into it, its become a part of my day. I've done both the morning and evening workouts - I had regularly been doing evening workouts at my gym but then found that I felt like I didn't have my evenings. By the time I got home I found I didn't have time for simple things like laundry so I switched to mornings, getting up and being at the gym for when it opened at 6. In about February I went back to evenings because I was too tired. You need to play around with it and see which one fits best into your schedule.
    I would suggest having something either protein/fibre heavy just before your students come in. Or something like nuts in a desk drawer that you can grab quickly and have a few of (perhaps when clases are changing over).

My big problem during the school year is water...I never get enough drank for the simple reason I can't take a break to run to the bathroom. Anyone else have this issue??
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

My big problem during the school year is water...I never get enough drank for the simple reason I can't take a break to run to the bathroom. Anyone else have this issue??
    Oh yes. Definitely yes.
    For the past 5 years I've shared a classroom with another speech teacher so I would run between 30min sessions and ask her just to tell my students I'd be right there.
    This year I will be in a new school, so time will tell!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I teach 8th grade Language Arts...I have morning planning this year, and I've tried the early morning workout thing in years past (up at 4:15...working out by 4:30). Sadly, while I love the energy I have the rest of the day, my body does NOT like early morning workouts. I kept injuring myself just because I'm still pretty creaky and not very limber at that hour. So...workouts must come after work.

Here's my schedule for this school year:

Up around 5:15
    --let the dogs out, feed them, start the coffee
    --quick shower
    --breakfast (my morning power oatmeal), 16 oz. of water with ACV, 2 cups of coffee
    --get ready for work...out the door by 6:15

Homeroom at 7:30--kiddos leave at 7:45
    Planning from 7:45-9:10--homemade protein bar around 8:30
    Teach until lunch which is from 11-11:30
    Teach until 2:40
    Leave school at 3:00 (3:30 latest)--I used to stay a LOT after school and work--NO MORE!!!
    3:30--home from work--Shakeology snack
    4:00--sneakers laced up for 45 minutes of dog walking
    5:00ish--workout
    Between 6:30-7--dinner
    Shower, spend time with dogs and hubs
    9:30-10--bedtime
  • kckramp
    kckramp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have really enjoyed being able to workout so much this summer. I feel so much better and am worried about keeping it up during the school year. I think I will be working out after school , But I know those junior high students take a lot of energy.
  • MisScorpio
    Options
    I work full time, raise my 11yr old niece on my own and i attend college part time. I work 7-4 m-f college 5-8, 3 days a week not including homework and assignments. It can be a struggle to find the time to workout but you just have to try to squeeze it in when ever you can. Some days i do it at home after she is in bed, i use the gym in my apartments or take her to the kid care at my gym. I hope you find the time to manage everything.. It can be done so dont give up :happy:
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    bump

I teach 3rd grade and have been wondering some of these same thoughts. If I have specials mid morning like last year then I may get a snack in there. I have a quick lunch time and then I could get in a small snack after school or on the way home.

As far as exercising goes I have almost always opted for early morning, but lately I have been getting it in in the evening. I may convince myself to do both some days or catch up in the evening if I didn't get enough in the morning.
  • soozy84
    soozy84 Posts: 118
    Options
    I'm a High School English teacher too and my plan as of next week (when Scottish schools go back) is:

Breakfast: Boiled egg on toast or bran flakes
    Morning break: Banana & cereal bar
    Lunch: Soup & diet coke
    After school/before going home: Apple

In terms of exercise, I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing except move my classes to after school. I was maybe going to try and fit some in before school but I know it would never happen... I'm not a morning person at all!

Monday: Zumba
    Tuesday: Tutoring after school and then Body Pump
    Wednesday: the occasional yoga class (probs not every week)
    Thursday: Body Combat
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: early morning Body Combat (not every week)
    Sunday: early morning Body Pump

I usually take a lot of work home (mainly essays to mark) but this year I'm making a conscious effort not to do that. Not only does it stress me out and take away time I should be spending with my partner, but it usually results in me mindlessly munching on biscuits. Not good!
  • OhSuzzz
    OhSuzzz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person, so getting to work at 715 is hard enough, I work out after the school day. We're fortunate enough at our school that we have a workout group on Tuesday/Thursdays with one of our coaches that's totally free for teachers, it's about 40 minutes. And then I just recruited a yoga teacher to come on Wednesdays for any interested teachers, so I'm pretty excited to transition into the school year.

I especially struggle though during the first few weeks of getting into routine. It's hard after having 8 weeks off! All of my 'free' periods are in the morning, so snacking in the AM isn't an issue, I get no break after lunch, just 5 classes straight through, so I usually have almonds or something easy and clean to munch on that I can snag in class change or after the kids start a project... I teach computers so I have less talking, more walking opportunity to snack.
  • Violin11
    Violin11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks! These are all great suggestions. I'll start making my schedule for the year so that I'll be ready. Keep adding all the wonderful ideas. I appreciate it everyone!
  • jcstoker
    jcstoker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a secondary science teacher in tropical Cameroon. Midday exercise is not an option for me. I am also not a morning person, and as I need to leave for school at 6:45 there is not much time before school. I am aiming for 20 min on my exercise bicycle each morning and then after school some strength training. We have some weights etc at school and other teachers that want to work out together. Since I am also an administrator, I have fewer classes and more time in my office so snacks are not a problem. I just need to find healthy and available items to eat. I love Kashi granola bars but cannot get them easily and my supply is running low. Anyone have an idea how to make something equivalent? I especially like the almond and flaxseed ones.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm a teachers aid sub, so my schedule really depends on who I'm subbing for that day and most days I don't get called until about an 40 min before I need to go. I personally exercise after I get off of work.. that way I can work out the stress from the kids during the day :) My school days typically last from 7:30/8:15/9:30 until 2:45/3:30.

How I manage food intake is I eat something like a bagel and cream cheese with some fruit before I go. Then depending on when lunch is, I'll pack some snacks in my bag. I also never buy lunch at the school... I always pack my lunch. Generally a sandwich, fruit, something sweet and water.

Also I try to eat my lunch pretty quick, and then go take a few spins around the building. It helps get the blood flowing and if I happen not to make to the gym that night at least I got some exercise in that day.