Should I be eating more calories?

Options
Hi all!

I’ve been doing Mfp since jan 1st, stuck to it for the first week and dropped 5lbs, second week I stuck to it and started exercising (gained 2lbs!!!!), 3rd week didn’t stick to it but walked a lot (gained another 1lb) and this week I have stuck to it and exercised and weight isn’t budging.

I’m aiming to eat around 1400-1500 a day which is what mfp calculates for me. All other online calculators say I should be eating around 1700 to lose a pound a week. Could I be eating too little?

I am 5ft 8”, 180 lbs and aiming to lose 35lb. I exercise for around 45 mins 6 days a week with a mix of weights and cardio. Although admittedly, I hate cardio so the intensity is probably lacking a little.

I am weighing and measuring all my food including little snacks and drink etc. My muscle and fat measurements improved in the first 2 weeks but haven’t changed since.

Any help would be most welcome! I’m starting to worry that I’m putting all this hard work in and not getting anywhere :(

Replies

• vegankid1990
    vegankid1990 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) so should I be eating back my exercise calories? I’m always worried they are overestimated
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) so should I be eating back my exercise calories? I’m always worried they are overestimated

Yes eat back your exercise calories. They are sometimes overestimated so alot of people eat 50-75% back to be on the safe side. Again you'll know after a few weeks with how your loss is going, you may be able to eat all of them back.
  • speedingticket
    speedingticket Posts: 73 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    So you lost 5lbs, then gained 3lbs back? After about 3 weeks, that doesn't sound too bad. You've lost 2lbs! To be honest if you are weighing everything, and eating 1500, you just need to be patient. Eating more will only slow down your weight loss (but is still an okay thing to do, for lots of reasons, including sustainability).

What's your activity set to, and what % of your exercise calories do you eat back currently? Overestimating your NEAT and exercise calories burned could lead you to eating closer to maintenance than intended...but you're start off at a 500-1000 deficit (I assume?), so it would have to be a big overestimation for that to be the culprit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

how are you measuring them?
  • vegankid1990
    Options

I have a fit bit so it’s all automatically logged to mfp from there
  • TavistockToad
    Options

fitbit generally should be fairly accurate, from what i hear - i don't use one myself - once it gets used to you.

try eating them back, tweak after 4-6 weeks if you're not losing at the expected rate.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Fitbit was always fairly accurate for me, so I would have ate pretty much all mine back.
  • vegankid1990
    Options
    So you lost 5lbs, then gained 3lbs back? After about 3 weeks, that doesn't sound too bad. You've lost 2lbs! To be honest if you are weighing everything, and eating 1500, you just need to be patient. Eating more will only slow down your weight loss (but is still an okay thing to do, for lots of reasons, including sustainability).

What's your activity set to, and what % of your exercise calories do you eat back currently? Overestimating your NEAT and exercise calories burned could lead you to eating closer to maintenance than intended...but you're start off at a 500-1000 deficit (I assume?), so it would have to be a big overestimation for that to be the culprit.

Thanks, I feel a little more optimistic now. I guess I’m just impatient! I think it’s because last time I lost weight it was very steady and constant each week with a few weeks where I maintained so thought it might be the same this time round.

My activity is set to lightly active I think? I try not to eat any back but if I do it’s maybe about half or less?
  • vegankid1990
    Options
    Sorry, just checked and it’s set to not very active. Again I think that was me trying not to get overestimated. My job is at a desk half the week and out and about driving and walking around the other half so I doubt that equates to much activity.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The initial 5 lbs was mostly water weight. If you’ve kept off 2lbs this month that might be fat loss. Have you measured yourself? Sometimes I’ll lose inches but not weight esp if you are doing weights.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

The fitbit "incidental calorie" estimate was often high for me. (Mowing the lawn was an example-- shook the thing all around and sent the calorie estimate off the charts.) I ended up un-linking it from MFP and going with the fixed MFP estimates plus exercise calories (sometimes taking estimates from the fitbit for specific workouts).

It comes down to developing good portion control (logging) and careful estimates of exercise, staying a bit conservative on eating back the calories. You just need to set MFP up with a reasonable base calorie estimate (adjusting the activity level in a reasonable manner and setting to 1lb per week loss).

It really worked for me and has now helped in many months of maintenance.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I would stick to what MFP has set for you. Remember if your like me and it took 25+ years to put the weight on, I cannot expect it to just melt off in short time.

Yes it is hard work cause well if it was easy everyone would be doing it. Just give your body and you a chance and stick with the program.
  • SportyKirsty
    SportyKirsty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    MFP is very bad for overestimating exercise. It is advisable to thus only eat back 25-50% of your exercise calories. So you tread on side of caution.

Most food comes with an excellent guide on food calories (and i dont necessarily mean pre packaged - a box of eggs tells you how many calories per egg on the box etc) so make sure what you select there matches true calories of the item/ingredients.

once you get this right you should see a difference. and as someone else said after a month of this if you loose too quick eat more exercise calories back and if not enough don't eat the calories back or a lower percentage.

Also be aware that ppl can fluctuate easily by 4-5lb (2Kg) on water weight so never beat yourself up over being up by a small bit. look at your overall trend.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    MFP is very bad for overestimating exercise. It is advisable to thus only eat back 25-50% of your exercise calories. So you tread on side of caution.

it was actually spot on for me, i ate all mine back and always lost as expected.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I notice you're not being consistent week to week. This is important because weight loss, and even maintenance for that matter, is all about consistency over time. Try to take your head out of the day-by-day or week-by-week and focus on where you want to go over the long run. This should help you from getting crazy by whatever might happen in the short term.

You might enjoy reading through the responses on this thread for some perspective on short term fluctuations.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636670/i-do-between-2-to-3-hours-of-cardio-a-day-and-im-still-gaining-weight-please-help#latest

On another topic, no one is good at logging their food at first. It takes a little time and practice to get the hang of it and also to find a balance between tracking nothing and obsessively weighing everything to the point of making yourself unhappy. Keep at it and you'll get better.

• vegankid1990
    Options
    I notice you're not being consistent week to week. This is important because weight loss, and even maintenance for that matter, is all about consistency over time. Try to take your head out of the day-by-day or week-by-week and focus on where you want to go over the long run. This should help you from getting crazy by whatever might happen in the short term.

You might enjoy reading through the responses on this thread for some perspective on short term fluctuations.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636670/i-do-between-2-to-3-hours-of-cardio-a-day-and-im-still-gaining-weight-please-help#latest

On another topic, no one is good at logging their food at first. It takes a little time and practice to get the hang of it and also to find a balance between tracking nothing and obsessively weighing everything to the point of making yourself unhappy. Keep at it and you'll get better.

Haha yes I did mess up in the 3rd week as I was away! But I have been good all the other weeks.

The first week I wanted to just focus on diet so I didn’t get overwhelmed. Now I’m in a good exercise routine that I seem to be sticking too quite well so hopefully if I just keep at it I should see some results eventually!
  • vegankid1990
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice and reassurance! Weightloss was a lot easier and ticker when I was 22 haha!

I just keep going! :)