Recently relocated to Turks & Caicos

Options
Alright so when I lived in the states I cooked every.single.meal. I used to make fresh granola every week and everything... It’s killing me here not being able to. So I need advice. Easy snacking that’s high in protein, dairy free, SIMPLE ingredients.. while things like almond/peanut butter are great they’re not sufficient for a serving of protein without being high in fat...

Rice is a staple here on the island but the proteins that are made are soo high in fat and always made in butter. Dying to get my nutrients! I’ve never struggled this much to find a balance.

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I've never been, so I have no idea what the grocery shopping is like there. There isn't anywhere to just get grilled chicken? Or grilled fish?

Also, why can't you cook anything yourself?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the relocation! A lot of peoples dream for sure!

But- why don't you have a kitchen?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Well, some of us don't find high in fat satiating for the cals.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,509 Member
    Options
    Can't you get fresh chicken and fish? Veggies should also be available. Are there no supermarkets or local street markets? Where do the locals shop for cooking? So many questions...
  • shampbj
    shampbj Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What about eggs? You can cook them in the microwave if you don't have a kitchen. You can do just the whites for protein if you are worried about fat. I'd take a look at what the skinny locals are eating and try to adapt to the local food climate. Also, hit those beaches, lady! Swimming and walking on a tropical beach is the most enjoyable calorie burner ever!
  • tomasart
    tomasart Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Do You have a closet available for rent? lol Enjoy Your island> :)
  • apooler2
    apooler2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @Cbean08, @JoRocka, @yirara because everything is imported its soo expensive - think 14$ for a small bag of grapes expensive. on that note, I dont mind paying whatsoever for fresh - guys sell fish all over the place here! I am working for a resort and my living situation is the equivalent of a glorified hotel suite...without the stove top? ahah it weird! also, its an island where nothing is actually grown here except coconut trees and mean conch fishing haha literally everything else is brought in.

@JerSchmare its not that I feel fat will make me fat, its that my body can only break so much of it down and it typically leaves me incredibly sick.

@shampbj I havent found a decent egg yet, again everything is imported.. I've already asked around if anyone owns chickens.. It's the perfect place to!

I'm not afraid of fat or getting fat - im more worried about getting all the appropriate nutrients I need. had I known the hotplate here would have been a dud I would have brought one myself. ordering one will take weeks to get here. its just the little details I need to find out, everything else is unreal here!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    apooler2 wrote: »
    @Cbean08, @JoRocka, @yirara because everything is imported its soo expensive - think 14$ for a small bag of grapes expensive. on that note, I dont mind paying whatsoever for fresh - guys sell fish all over the place here! I am working for a resort and my living situation is the equivalent of a glorified hotel suite...without the stove top? ahah it weird! also, its an island where nothing is actually grown here except coconut trees and mean conch fishing haha literally everything else is brought in.

@JerSchmare its not that I feel fat will make me fat, its that my body can only break so much of it down and it typically leaves me incredibly sick.

@shampbj I havent found a decent egg yet, again everything is imported.. I've already asked around if anyone owns chickens.. It's the perfect place to!

I'm not afraid of fat or getting fat - im more worried about getting all the appropriate nutrients I need. had I known the hotplate here would have been a dud I would have brought one myself. ordering one will take weeks to get here. its just the little details I need to find out, everything else is unreal here!

You'll figure it out!! I assume this isn't like- permanent life long move if you're in a glorified hotel suite- you'll work it out- I'm sure once you settle in- and figure out how other people do it- you'll come up with a system!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Well for my money I say you should have to suffer a little bit.

Because I'm in Seattle.

Can your family back home send you a hot plate and maybe a crock pot?
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    See if the resort will sell you some of their “bruised” produce or something they have excess of. Networking for you, will be key!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If groceries are that expensive--$14 for grapes, how about if I buy a couple weeks worth of food, pack food instead of clothes, and deliver it to you in person. When you pay me, I can pay my traveling expenses. Free trip for me. You get the groceries you want. Send me your list.

PS I'll throw in the hot plate!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Hmm, interesting situation. What kind of food does the resort offer? If I were you, I'd do my best to make friends with other employees, especially those in the kitchen. Can you get some special requests made for you? If they have the ingredients, surely they could make something up that isn't necessarily on the menu.

Also, I'd ask the hotel concierge or management for some tips. There has to be a trick that someone knows.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    do you like rice and beans? it's a staple in a lot of places. i love jamaican rice and peas. (though you will need a pot and a hot plate)
  • nickhinds88
    nickhinds88 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Become friends with your closest fish monger, order yourself a rice cooker, food scale and a decent blender maybe some protein powder as well. Enjoy some pineapple and rum and your new home in paradise.