Have to quit working out in March need suggestions

Options
I've lost 62 pounds so far I still have about 24 pounds until my goal March 26th I am going back to school full-time. I'll be going to school 4 days a week and then working the other three, and I'm also a mom of two. If I'm not studying at school or at work I'll be spending my time with my children . I am quitting the gym for the year that I will be in school ,does anyone have any suggestions that I can do on a lunch break for school I will not be around any close gym but I will be getting an hour for lunch a day any suggestions??

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I understand that, I was a sole support parent while going back to university and worked 2-3 part-time jobs. There are some options but what are you interested in? If you have access to a change room you could do calisthenics/bodyweight training such as burpees, pushups, chin-ups (if you have a bar), core work etc. You could always run or walk as well depending on what is available. Also, during the day you could make more of an effort to be on your feet and walking a bit when possible.

Is there no way you can get to the school gym during the day? That would be very beneficial if you could get time in.
  • Sheks41191
    Sheks41191 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I understand that, I was a sole support parent while going back to university and worked 2-3 part-time jobs. There are some options but what are you interested in? If you have access to a change room you could do calisthenics/bodyweight training such as burpees, pushups, chin-ups (if you have a bar), core work etc. You could always run or walk as well depending on what is available. Also, during the day you could make more of an effort to be on your feet and walking a bit when possible.

Is there no way you can get to the school gym during the day? That would be very beneficial if you could get time in.

As usual, I agree. There are plenty of options that are well suited for a lunch break - the limiting factor is often more tied to cleaning up after your workout/before you go back to work/school/whatever (both time and logistics).
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

As usual, I agree. There are plenty of options that are well suited for a lunch break - the limiting factor is often more tied to cleaning up after your workout/before you go back to work/school/whatever (both time and logistics).

Very true, changing and showering if you need those can really take a bite out of time available.

Of course, during Basic we often had just 5-10 mins to get showered in change...yeah there were lots of pushups!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Build some play type exercise into your time with your kids. Are they old enough to play soccer and run races with you and stuff?
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I frequently just walk around the parking garage at lunch. It's not an intense workout, but it burns some calories and I get some fresh air.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Build some play type exercise into your time with your kids. Are they old enough to play soccer and run races with you and stuff?

This was my thought as well. Depending on how old they are you could also go on bike rides, hike, go to playgrounds, etc. There are many indoor options as well. Exercise doesn't need to be structured, timed and done in a gym.
  • ms_havisham
    ms_havisham Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I care for my 2 year old niece for 7-10 hours 4-5 days a week, and when I can't fit a workout in before I leave home I do a yoga video with her. She will copy some positions, climb under me for others, or just climb on me, but it gets me moving. Or we just run around the house...the toddler version of running steps is an interesting addition to the day :) But I do like the video workouts...find a few you like and you can do them anywhere with internet access--though it helps to be familiar with a video if you are running it on your phone.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Walk at lunch. Most campuses are very walkable.

At home get some hand weights and do them while watching TV or after the kids go to bed along with body weight exercises, yoga, pilates, etc. Do active things with the family, like hiking, biking, boating, skiing, climbing, etc.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've lost 62 pounds so far I still have about 24 pounds until my goal March 26th I am going back to school full-time. I'll be going to school 4 days a week and then working the other three, and I'm also a mom of two. If I'm not studying at school or at work I'll be spending my time with my children . I am quitting the gym for the year that I will be in school ,does anyone have any suggestions that I can do on a lunch break for school I will not be around any close gym but I will be getting an hour for lunch a day any suggestions??

Include the kids in your activity. I'm a single parent and my kids and I walk alot together. I also do yoga at home, when they were smaller I practiced it in the evenings while they were asleep. Ana Brett Kundalini Yoga Flow Bootcamp is a really good DVD, it's tough but it will definitely give you a good hours workout. It includes meditation as well and with your busy life that can only be a benefit :)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'll get in a 30-40 minute run at lunch. I do have showers in the building and I have no hair to take care of ;)
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    We recently printed out some posters of stretches and exercises that can be done while watching TV, that my daughter and I can do. Maybe incorporate a kid friendly workout video or Dance party game that you can do together ?
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i don't know what your school looks like, but i remember when i was in college there was a lot of walking to get to the different classes i had to go to. maybe that will suffice for exercise. one school i went to had an indoor pool. i used to do laps during lunch.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    is your goal burning calories to continue the progress you've made with weight loss, or maintaining general fitness? or something else.

that makes a difference, i think. i'd ask around on the campus as well and just keep your eyes open for general fitness/exercise stuff that might already be underway there.

also, just wanted to say that losing 62 pounds is pretty awesome :)
  • disney_addict_1028
    disney_addict_1028 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions!!
  • disney_addict_1028
    disney_addict_1028 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    is your goal burning calories to continue the progress you've made with weight loss, or maintaining general fitness? or something else.

that makes a difference, i think. i'd ask around on the campus as well and just keep your eyes open for general fitness/exercise stuff that might already be underway there.

also, just wanted to say that losing 62 pounds is pretty awesome :)

Thank you ! I am 23 pounds away from my goal so keep loosing for a few more months:)