Recommendations: Best digital bathroom scale - Go!!

Hello,

My scale is crap. If I step on and off three times, I get three different readings. Normally within about a pound of each other. Problem is...I'm a numbers guy; I really value accuracy. What are your recommendations?

Also, please feel free to friend me. I'm always looking for people to encourage and encourage me on my fitness journey.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Have you replaced the batteries and it is on a hard, flat surface?
  • deimosphoebos
    deimosphoebos Posts: 117 Member
    I've been using this one for the last two months and I love it. It sends data to your smartphone (but does not link with MFP), but it's cheaper than some of them out there.

https://www.amazon.ca/1byone-Digital-Wireless-Android-Visceral/dp/B01FHELB56/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517013930&sr=8-1&keywords=onebyone
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Go where?
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    I’ve heard good things about the Withings WiFi scales.... I currently have a cheap one I bought at Aldi and it’s reliable, but when it dies I’m going to get a Withings
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    edited January 2018
    I've been using this one for the last two months and I love it. It sends data to your smartphone (but does not link with MFP), but it's cheaper than some of them out there.

https://www.amazon.ca/1byone-Digital-Wireless-Android-Visceral/dp/B01FHELB56/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517013930&sr=8-1&keywords=onebyone

Literally just got this in the mail today and used it. It was pretty cheap and seems fine for weight. It gives a bunch of other stats. It is nice looking. The app is ugly as all get out though
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member

Literally just got this in the mail today and used it. It was pretty cheap and seems fine for weight. It gives a bunch of other stats. It is nice looking. The app is ugly as all get out though

When I looked at thsta gew months back,the Google play store ratings for the aop were pretty bad
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Honestly, any scale is fine as long as your batteries are fresh and you consistently use it in the same location. If your floor isn't perfectly level, then moving the scale around will probably give you slightly different readings.

I just use a cheap one from Amazon. It was under $20 and is in agreement with the scale at my doctor's office.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Step on it once.

There is no reason to keep on and off-ing. Unless you are checking to see if you need to replace the batteries.
    The number you get is a point in time. Make note of it, log it in a trending ap if you wish, and move on.

It is the daily fluctuations trending downward over time that matters.

I just use a generic scale and it has served me well losing and maintaining.

Cheers, h.
  • scyran
    scyran Posts: 16 Member
    Step on it once.

There is no reason to keep on and off-ing. Unless you are checking to see if you need to replace the batteries.
    The number you get is a point in time. Make note of it, log it in a trending ap if you wish, and move on.

^^This. I am guilty of stepping on and off, on and off - what am I looking/hoping for? That I'll magically lose 10 pounds in 20 seconds?

That being said, I just purchased this scale: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1UX8RW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I really like it so far - syncs very easily with MFP, Fitbit app, and my Apple watch/iPhone health stats. And it was very inexpensive compared to similar scales. Now I only step on it once and it records my weight on the app and in all the previously mentioned apps. It works for me!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Hello,

My scale is crap. If I step on and off three times, I get three different readings. Normally within about a pound of each other. Problem is...I'm a numbers guy; I really value accuracy. What are your recommendations?

Also, please feel free to friend me. I'm always looking for people to encourage and encourage me on my fitness journey.

In this case, accuracy is over rated. What you want (and don't seem to have) is consistency. To trust the scale it should give you close to the same reading when you step off and back on, assuming you didn't move it (or poop in between). Be warned that some scales force this and will show the last weight if there is only a small change. My last one did this and needed more than ~3/4 lb change before it would show a different reading (that's more frustrating to me).

I picked up a Withings (now Nokia) scale in a clearance bin and like it. I step on it first thing after the bathroom and all my sites are updated by the time I sit down (and my scale is in the same room as my computer). One day when I'm bored I'll look at the API and get the data into Excel automatically :)

Not cheap though and the one linked to above looks interesting for the price.
  • SanaAnum
    SanaAnum Posts: 61 Member
    My scale is from tanita digital. Works with light. Same problem gives a different value i step on it even after a second.
  • change4char
    change4char Posts: 85 Member
    I love my bluetooth weight gurus scale.
  • SwissHausfrau
    SwissHausfrau Posts: 83 Member
    edited January 2018
    karahm78 wrote: »
    I’ve heard good things about the Withings WiFi scales.... I currently have a cheap one I bought at Aldi and it’s reliable, but when it dies I’m going to get a Withings

I have the withings scales and love them. Both hubby and myself have it set to send our measurements straight to the app on our phones. It recognizes which of us is on the scales even though we are only about 8kg difference in weight.
    They are stylish and easy to clean too.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    edited January 2018
    Momepro wrote: »

When I looked at thsta gew months back,the Google play store ratings for the aop were pretty bad

The app is ugly but it did log my weight and sent the data to my iPhone health app so I will have the info saved. I don’t trust any read outs from any digital scale such as fat percentage, water percentage, etc since logically a scale couldn’t calculate such things based on weight alone. But for logging my weight it seems fine and it’s a sleek looking scale. I tested it against my old scale and the weight was the same for both. I also only paid around 20 for it.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    I love my bluetooth weight gurus scale.

I just got this one as well. Measures body fat, bone, muscle mass, etc. which I find more helpful than just my weight. It uploads to an app on my phone.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    I also have the Weight Guru Bluetooth scale. It’s within half a pound of the Taylor I used for about 17 years. The app is nothing to write home about but it logs my weight to both MFP and FitBit. Kind of wish I’d gone WiFi because sometimes I’m still half asleep and you have to remember your phone and remember to open up the app for it to log. It does store the number though and will record it next time along with the new number.