Is yoga good for exercising with a weak heart/poor circulation?

Options
I've been trying to figure out the best way to get some exercise in but I have health problems that I have to take into consideration.

I don't have the money to go to the doctor and figure out exactly what is wrong but I know that if I walk up a flight of 20 steps my heart will race as well as chest pains random when I get too excited. If I stand for too long, it also can start racing and my head gets a really big pressure headache. I get bad knee and lower back pain too. My circulation is also very poor; from the tingling and numbness that can happen in seconds...I'm fairly certain I have RLS.

For a while, I was trying to bike 4 miles but I'd literally have to stop every 5 to 10 minutes if I wasn't going downhill to rest and drink water. My heart would get really fast and it would be hard to catch my breath in just those 5 minute intervals. I'd be seeing spots by the time I was done. I decided it wasn't worth killing myself with that so I quit.

Would yoga be a little less strenuous? I tried some kids yoga and had to take it slowly but I'm not sure if it would benefit me in losing weight or if it would help me get more fit. I'm new to all this stuff. I'm going to be watching what I eat (though I really like food) and fixing my sleeping habits as well. And insight would be helpful if I should add this for my exercise.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options

If you think you have heart problems, disregard what I have written below and see a doctor.
    If you are just out of shape, and overweight, continue reading.

Why not try putting your info into MFP (this site) to lose around a pound a week.
    Learn to log correctly and accurately using a digital scale.
    That is all you need to do to lose weight.

For health and fitness, walk. Start slow.
    If you are not use to walking just do 5-10 minutes at a time, if you can, do that a couple of times a day. As you get stronger walk further, faster, and longer.

Once you are comfortable walking for half an hour think of other exercise options.

Cheers, h.
  • KyoumiOnism
    KyoumiOnism Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you are not use to walking just do 5-10 minutes at a time, if you can, do that a couple of times a day. As you get stronger walk further, faster, and longer.

This is what I was basically doing when I was biking. I did 4 miles a day, 4 days a week, for 3 months straight. By the end nothing had changed. I had to stop just as many times as when I started. My body didn't seems to want to acclimate. So, I want to try to do something that'll be a work around having this heart racing issue. I weigh 180 ish and wand to get to 140. I don't think adjusting only my eating will get me there. :/
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    To lose weight the most effective way, eat less than you do now. That is a calorie deficit. The best way to know you are in a deficit is to count your calories.

Exercise is good for you but, in and of itself, it does not cause weight loss unless you are in a calorie deficit.

4miles a day on your bike was probably too far to soon. That is why I said start slow. You have to build up to exercise.

Again, if you think you have a heart problem, see a doctor.

Cheers, h.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    In addition to RLS, I encourage you to also look up POTS syndrome. My mom has it and it took her forever to get diagnosed, so now I always throw it out for people.

I can’t really tell from your description, but it might be worth trying compression stockings if blood tends to pool in your feet and make you lightheaded.

Also, please please see a doctor. It is going to be way cheaper to investigate possibilities now, then it would be to pay the hospital and surgery bills if something ends up happening. Your heart is not something to play around with.