How much actual muscle gain is possible to get from pilates/yoga?

Options
MarianMarMoi
MarianMarMoi Posts: 87 Member
Hello! I am not very knowledgeable about these sort of things, so I thought i could ask here :smile:

I am a quite weak person, slightly underweight (168 cm/5'6" and 51 kg/112.4 lbs) and up until quite recently I didn't eat that well. I've gotten a hang of eating better now and I feel comfortable moving on to the next step which is yoga and pilates. They are both something I've wanted to do for years (yes, I am a slowpoke with starting things) and I'm now intending to do at least 30 min every day of one or the other.

Can I expect any muscle gain from those two alone? I know that most people would start lifting weights when they want muscle gain, but for someone like me, would it make a difference do only do yoga and pilates? I'm not talking immediate changes, but after a year of doing them, would there be a gain?

I'm not expecting any fast changes, but it would be nice to gain a few kg. Also, would 50-60g of protein per day be enough for me when I only do things like pilates/yoga?

I think my end goal would be to weight at least 4 kg more than now, Is that too much to hope for?

Replies

• justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I began doing Pilates last year (with a certified Pilates teacher) and it has made a noticeable difference for me in terms of core strength, stability and flexibility.

I also had been lifting weights (not really heavy lifting though) and had been doing light yoga (vinyasa) long before I began Pilates. I think yoga and Pilates compliment each other well. My teacher also practices yoga but her life is Pilates.

Here's a source (one of many) for some of the benefits, which touches briefly on the strength benefits: https://www.pilates.com/BBAPP/V/pilates/benefits-of-pilates.html
  • MarianMarMoi
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply! That sounds great! I will take a look at the link.

I really do hope it will be "enough" for me since I can see it being a permanent part of my lifestyle :)
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You will get stronger - My question is - Why don't you want to lift weights? - Eastcoast Jim
  • MarianMarMoi
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    You will get stronger - My question is - Why don't you want to lift weights? - Eastcoast Jim

The main reason as to why I don't want to lift weights is that it's not something I want to do for the rest of my life. I'm incorporating things into my lifestyle as a part of a permanent change, and lifting weights is just not something I enjoy.
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Hello! I am not very knowledgeable about these sort of things, so I thought i could ask here :smile:

I am a quite weak person, slightly underweight (168 cm/5'6" and 51 kg/112.4 lbs) and up until quite recently I didn't eat that well. I've gotten a hang of eating better now and I feel comfortable moving on to the next step which is yoga and pilates. They are both something I've wanted to do for years (yes, I am a slowpoke with starting things) and I'm now intending to do at least 30 min every day of one or the other.

Can I expect any muscle gain from those two alone? I know that most people would start lifting weights when they want muscle gain, but for someone like me, would it make a difference do only do yoga and pilates? I'm not talking immediate changes, but after a year of doing them, would there be a gain?

I'm not expecting any fast changes, but it would be nice to gain a few kg. Also, would 50-60g of protein per day be enough for me when I only do things like pilates/yoga?

I think my end goal would be to weight at least 4 kg more than now, Is that too much to hope for?

Yoga and pilates will be good for flexibility but not for muscle gains. And 50 to 60g is about half of what you actually want. You will want around 100 to 120g if you are working to build muscle and more specifically a lifting program based on progressive overload.

Then I guess I will end up very flexible instead! Jokes aside, I do hope I get a bit stronger from it in the way justlog described above. I know their focus isn't on muscle gain, but looking at myself now I feel that any type of activity would do something. I will not get muscle definition from it, that's not my goal either, but I really do hope they give something.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options

The main reason as to why I don't want to lift weights is that it's not something I want to do for the rest of my life. I'm incorporating things into my lifestyle as a part of a permanent change, and lifting weights is just not something I enjoy.

Yoga and pilates will be good for flexibility but not for muscle gains. And 50 to 60g is about half of what you actually want. You will want around 100 to 120g if you are working to build muscle and more specifically a lifting program based on progressive overload.

Then I guess I will end up very flexible instead! Jokes aside, I do hope I get a bit stronger from it in the way justlog described above. I know their focus isn't on muscle gain, but looking at myself now I feel that any type of activity would do something. I will not get muscle definition from it, that's not my goal either, but I really do hope they give something.

You will gain a bit more endurance, but if you are going to gain some weight, it's going to be almost all fat.

The bigger thing is, it doesn't have to be one exercise or another. YOu can incorporate pilates/yoga, cardio and strength training if you have the time. Only limiting your workouts to one type is one going to give you limited results.

So i guess the bigger question is, what are you really looking for, and then you can design a plan to help you achieve that.

My goals... I guess I want to be stronger and feel less frail. I want my posture to be better and it would be fun if I could touch the floor with my hands without bending my knees.
    The biggest reason why I want to start with yoga and pilates is the mental aspect. They've always seemed like my kind of thing, a way to relax and feel good in my body and mind, silly as it might sound.

I don't want to do things I don't enjoy. I feel no need to be very strong and have muscles showing, I will not start lifting weights and I will not double my protein, so if that is what I would have to do to experience some muscle gain, I guess I will have to live with what I got.

So protein is very important even to help with strength, recovery and metabolism. Even if you don't double, you should probably get closer to 100g to benefit you improvements that you want from yoga/pilates. This doesn't mean you have to eat a ton of meat, but you should focus a bit more on protein based foods, including plant based sources.

You might find a mental aspect, but some don't. Largely, just like dieting, that is more about how the person is approaching it. When I did yoga, I never experience any additional mental improvements. But often it's power of placebo. The belief that you will receive those aspects, will drive those improvements. Its I am not saying that as a bad thing. Power of placebo can be huge.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've seen some yoga practitioners who have very lovely muscles. Especially those who do the types of yoga where you hold the pose for a long time, or quickly switch between poses. I don't know the names. I've been to a total of six yoga classes, but I was impressed with the physiques of some of the really serious people. Those were the ones that really had a master on what they were doing, and it showed. I was just falling down in the corner hoping no one saw me.

Some of the more difficult poses take quite a bit of strength to work up to. So depending on the type of yoga you do, you should gain some strength. There are many different kinds of yoga. I think you should ask a proper yoga teacher which type would be best for your goals of gaining muscle and relaxing. There are classes for both, but I don't know about at the same time.

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

You will gain a bit more endurance, but if you are going to gain some weight, it's going to be almost all fat.

The bigger thing is, it doesn't have to be one exercise or another. YOu can incorporate pilates/yoga, cardio and strength training if you have the time. Only limiting your workouts to one type is one going to give you limited results.

So i guess the bigger question is, what are you really looking for, and then you can design a plan to help you achieve that.

My goals... I guess I want to be stronger and feel less frail. I want my posture to be better and it would be fun if I could touch the floor with my hands without bending my knees.
    The biggest reason why I want to start with yoga and pilates is the mental aspect. They've always seemed like my kind of thing, a way to relax and feel good in my body and mind, silly as it might sound.

I don't want to do things I don't enjoy. I feel no need to be very strong and have muscles showing, I will not start lifting weights and I will not double my protein, so if that is what I would have to do to experience some muscle gain, I guess I will have to live with what I got.

So protein is very important even to help with strength, recovery and metabolism. Even if you don't double, you should probably get closer to 100g to benefit you improvements that you want from yoga/pilates. This doesn't mean you have to eat a ton of meat, but you should focus a bit more on protein based foods, including plant based sources.
    I'm wondering why she would need more than 0.8 grams per lb of LBM? Given that she's not eating in a deficit or planning on doing intense strength training, I don't see why she would need more. At her size, that would equate to around 75 grams assuming she has around 90 lbs of LBM.

• justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It is wise to know what activities you enjoy and don't. At my age, I refuse to do some sorts of activities that I hate. Nothing is sustainable long term if it is not enjoyed. Only you know best what you like best or find interesting.
  • MarianMarMoi
    Options
    justlog wrote: »
    It is wise to know what activities you enjoy and don't. At my age, I refuse to do some sorts of activities that I hate. Nothing is sustainable long term if it is not enjoyed. Only you know best what you like best or find interesting.

Thank you, I believe so too :)
  • MarianMarMoi
    Options

I'm wondering why she would need more than 0.8 grams per lb of LBM? Given that she's not eating in a deficit or planning on doing intense strength training, I don't see why she would need more. At her size, that would equate to around 75 grams assuming she has around 90 lbs of LBM.

If one wants to gain muscle 1.8 -2.8g/kg is recommended. That is around 90g+ of protein.
    Being active and lean drives up protein requirements.

OP, being vegan doesnt change protein requirements. In fact, you can eat high protein as a vegan. Id look at increasing consumption of tofu and seitin or even replace some of you current sources. These sources have much higher levels of leucine with drive muscle protein synthesis.

If you dont want to increase protein or explore various other exercise routines, than you can only expect certain results. If you are fine with that, its ok.

And there are more ways to gain muscle than just plain lifting. Lifting is the most effective way but there is a variety of resistance based training protocols that allow for progressive overload.

I did not mean that being vegan means I can eat less protein. For sedentary individuals the recommended amount of protein is 0.8g/kg, which I guess is the lowest anyone should eat, for more active people it's 1.2g/kg and up, and at 60g I am close to 1.2g/kg, so I'm not seeing why my intake would be so bad. Eating more than I already do I feel would be hard to sustain.

Tofu is quite expensive around here, so when I buy it I typically use quite a small amount for one portion. It's less expensive to buy protein powder and take it once or twice a day tbh, but that would only get me up to ~70-80g per day, which still would be low according to your numbers.
  • MarianMarMoi
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I see now that I didn't phrase the protein part in the OP as I recalled and a reply I made earlier might make things confusing. So to clarify:

I am trying to reach 60g per day when it comes to protein, I'd say that I'm usually a few g below. If I found a way to make it higher without it feeling forced I would. I set the goal to 15 % on here which is 68g, and I never reach that, but the 10 % is 45g, and I'm quite pleased that I'm never that low.
    Maybe it would be an option to take one dose of protein powder every day to bring it up to around 68, but I still don't see why my protein intake would be considered terribly low, fine if it doesn't give me any muscle gain, but why would it make me weaker when I only intend on doing yoga and pilates? I'm sorry, but I do not understand.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    That sounds awesome!
    I'm not sure what type of yoga I want to do, I think I will try a few different types. Most of what I will do I will do at home, there are quite many instructions on youtube that I hope will work fine to start with.
    It would be lovely to go to actual classes, though. I think that maybe after the summer I could afford it!

I would really recommend a couple of classes to start—check groupon for deals, they often have awesome studio discounts. That’s how I started—unlimited class for a month for $49. Regular individual class price was $19.

The nuances in the poses are very subtle and the adjustments instructors will make aren’t really ones you’d notice on your own. You want to have correct form to build the strength you need to get the strength (or lack of frailty) you want to build.

And I really would encourage more protein. There are some great vegan protein powders out there (pea, hemp) and vegan protein/fiber snacks. You may find your current diet limits your goal and abilities by not providing enough protein to even maintain muscles, let alone build strength. You’re not going to get bulky or muscular by eating a little more protein, if that’s a concern. But you will support your body in becoming less frail. :heart: