Shame about lack of exercise. What do I do?

Options
Does anyone else who can't exercise the same as what you see others do due to whatever reason it may be (injury, disability, health ect) get exercise shame?
What do you do to stay motivated and remind yourself that just cause you can't run or move in the same way as an 'average person' it doesn't mean you've failed?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Others are shaming you or you are shaming yourself? Almost everyone has something they can't do. I'm flexible and strong, can't hold yoga poses due to some injuries. I'm not going to feel bad about what I can't do, I celebrate the things I can do. I have a friend who is missing half an arm and she is always finding ways to accomplish things she shouldn't be able to do.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Hm. I've never heard the term "exercise shame."

Shame is an internal event/decision. If you are feeling shame that is something you have decided to feel. Change your thoughts, change your life.

Have you had any counseling? This type of mindset can be changed!
  • JanesGame
    JanesGame Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Good insight guys. Thank you! I think it is down to change your mind then adapt and grow.

Very much appreciate :)
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    The great thing about this website is that there are all types. You can build your friends list based on exactly who you want to surround yourself with. Go ahead and make a thread “People who just count calories/no exercise”, etc, and I bet you’ll get several people that would like to be friends with you. Weed out any friends you already have that make you feel bad.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There will always be people who can do more than you and others who do less than you.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,182 Member
    Options
    Stop focusing on what everyone else is doing and start focusing on what you're doing.

So you can't run? Walk, can't Walk? Crawl? Can't Crawl, push yourself around in your wheelchair.

We have a guy at my gym who's in a wheechair. He bought stuff to modify the rowing machine and he rows when we run

Anothern one is missing a leg, he did a workout he other day that included air squats... he did pistols the entire time

We can't do everything but everyone can do something. Find your something.

I agree.

I did a 10K run recently, and was amazed to discover that they had added a wheelchair class to the 10K. A group of about 10 people in wheelchairs, pushed themselves out and back on the 10K course! And I thought running 10K was difficult ... couldn't imagine trying to do that with my arm strength!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Do what you can. Everyone has things they can and can’t do, and your activity doesn’t need to be the same as anyone else’s.

If you can’t exercise your legs, then focus on your arms. If you can’t stand or get out of bed, then work on seated movements or exercises you can do lying down.

People who judge you for your ability level aren’t worth your time, but it’s hard enough being judged by others. Please try to be gentle with your own needs instead of contributing to that judgment of yourself.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    How about about meditation or yoga?
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    I saw something on-line that read, "Dance like no one is watching. Because they're not. They're checking their phones." Pretty much the same thing applies at the gym. And those of us who do notice what you're doing will more likely have admiration for you for overcoming your obstacles.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Everyone has put out some great advice. You need to work to change your self-talk. As long as you are pushing yourself, you're doing great.
  • JanesGame
    JanesGame Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys. It's really cleared my head and the way I think! Will definitely take it on board and start looking into what I CAN do and forget what people think :)