How do I begin?

Options
dklmiller
dklmiller Posts: 55 Member
Mother of two, 22 years old. Junk food junkie weighing in at 167 pounds at 5’3. I plan on cutting out junk food and adding more water. Just not sure how to cut 30 pounds. Any advice appreciated!

Replies

• dklmiller
    Options
    Thanks!
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    get a scale, prepare your own food, log calories accurately
  • dklmiller
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    You don't have to get crazy and change your life completely around in one day...

How you start?

Make just one change to your normal eating habits and learn to love walking in the evenings, before you know it, you'll be running and reading nutrition labels on everything
  • dklmiller
    Options
    Thank you! I’m definitely going for simple changes and habit forming!
  • jcam5637
    jcam5637 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All great ideas. I started by clearing out fridge and cabinets, found 5 healthy recipes, cooked ahead on sunday, even just prep ahead, chop, seal in baggies. I eat oatmeal every other day am and eggs every other. Go on walks with the kids, get down on the floor with the kids laugh, crawl, hide and seek, etc the lbs will fall off quick first few weeks then may slow down dont quit!! You are the mentor of your home and the center of your childrens universe!!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Put your stats into MFP, choose a goal of one lb per week, and just start logging. Start tweaking what and how much you eat to find easier ways to stay at your calorie goal without being hungry or giving up all your fave foods. Move more whenever you can. Learn as you go and be patient. Read the Most Helpful Posts thread stickied at the top of the boards. Good luck!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    1. Food scales are essential.
    2. Do something sustainable. Accept that pretty much everyone in the world eats junk food at least occasionally and try not to be so hard on yourself. Allow yourself things that you like that aren't necessarily that good for you, but in smaller quantities.
    3. If you fall off the wagon, don't beat yourself up, just get back on it.
    4. Don't pay too much attention to the scales. They are dirty liars.
    5. Meal prep if you have the time is really beneficial. Before I made the effort to meal prep, many unnecessary calories were eaten in the 'I've had a long day so can't be bothered to cook' phase.
    6. Protein will keep you full!
  • wryone4
    wryone4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Start by logging everything you eat. You will start to notice that small nibbles here and there add up. Then, take it slow - introduce small changes like reducing one not-so-good-for-you food like candy. Notice the difference in calories consumed. Celebrate. Then pick something else and replace it with something with more nutrition. Just introduce one small change after another. I venture you will feel better, stronger, and more confident.

You can do this!
  • dklmiller
    Options
    Just bought a food scale today! I can do this! Thank you all for your advice and support!
  • dklmiller
    Options
    How do you meal prep on a budget? Is it really as expensive as everyone says?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    dklmiller wrote: »
    How do you meal prep on a budget? Is it really as expensive as everyone says?

Depends largely on what you buy and where you live. I have one store near me that often has meats on for a damn good price, and often in bulk as well. I just bought a Food Saver so now I vacuum seal anything and everything I can. Also I use mason jars for lettuces and veggies. Sometimes storage is the trick to making things go a long way. Watching for good sales and stocking up when you can is good too.
  • KateBoss7521
    KateBoss7521 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    One of the most helpful changes I personally have made, is to not buy (much) junk food when I grocery shop. If I fill my fridge with fresh fruit and veggies, that’s what I’m forced to snack on when I get hungry. It has made a huge difference. If I have chips or snacky things sitting around the house, I end up eating them. Also— go grocery shopping right after you eat a nice meal. If you go when you’re hungry, it can be much harder to resist buying items you really don’t want to buy.
  • Greybeard51
    Greybeard51 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm older than dirt and live on social security. Tbh, u don't have to change your diet that much. I buy whatever is on sale and figure out how to make meals out of it. Some weeks it's chicken, some weeks pork and on rare occasions beef. But the key is to consume less per day than you have in the past.

Don't get all consumed about this food or that food... It's calories in vs calories out...

Personally I love food so I walk extra miles or go to the gym... But I'm retired and have a lot of time.

Just remember this is a journey that ends in physical fitness... I have been able to get off blood pressure meds and have lost 20# so far. Body fat is down to 24% and waist is 3.5 in smaller. But more importantly... My pulse recovery rate is now at - 20 within two minutes. I remember when I started my heart rate jumped up almost Instantly... Now it takes several minutes and a steep incline on treadmill to get above 105.

Good luck to you and remember... It's a journey not a race
  • dklmiller
    Options
    Thank you so Much! Canning is a great idea, i actually have a ton of mason jars! And I love the idea of forcing healthy habits by only keeping healthy snacks around!
  • wryone4
    wryone4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can save money by making a large amount of something, then portioning it out and freezing it or storing it for later in the week. This can also make planning easier. I like to buy chicken breasts on sale, grill them, then dice them in freeze them in serving sizes. I throw that on salad with an egg, and I have a protein-rich salad full of veggies and it is not terribly expensive. You can do this with lean beef and salmon, too.
  • thapainmaka
    thapainmaka Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    well you came here that's a good start....Counting calories and working out would be next
  • dklmiller
    Options
    Thank you
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    dklmiller wrote: »
    Mother of two, 22 years old. Junk food junkie weighing in at 167 pounds at 5’3. I plan on cutting out junk food and adding more water. Just not sure how to cut 30 pounds. Any advice appreciated!

Elimination diets always backfire (for me). Sure I can eliminate for awhile and that lowers my calories. Fewer calories = weight loss.

But that problem for me is weight loss is just the first step. Do you plan on eliminating "junk" food forever? If not, you might consider, and all foods in moderation approach. Allow yourself a treat or a fast food meal here and there......but within your daily calories.

Figure out true portion sizes, and calorie counts for all foods (not just diet ones). This can be an eye-opener, and useful for maintenance.