Smoothie recipes?

Options
Anyone have any low-cal, high protein/fiber tried and true smoothie recipes they want to share? I bought oats, whey protein, and frozen fruit along with fresh spinach but I can’t get the hang of it!

Replies

• abarber213
    abarber213 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think its hard to make a low cal smoothie. But. If you plan it right. Switch the cow milk out for something lile almond milk. And fix the shake as a pre workout with low calories or post workout with higher calories, you should be able to use the calpries lole their meant to be used.

There is a great youtube channel called Bodybuilding.com i think. They have great recipes. From desserts, to planning, to maim courses, and smoothies. It doesnt necessarily matter the calories as long as you use the calories by cardio or strength training, or keep it under your required daily intake.

For fat loss, a cutting diet would mean low carbohydrates and low fat but high protein. I try to keep protein at 1g/lb. And fat and carbs less than 100g. So youre burning fat but preventing muscle atrophy.
  • bvff35
    bvff35 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was never able to male smoothies low cal amd still taste half decent. Even making smaller portions of smoothies still made it too many calories for what I was looking for.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    When you say "low cal" that can mean almost anything. A 300 calorie smoothie is a lot more "low cal" than a 1200 calorie banana milkshake (or frappe for those of you in New England). I have a smoothie for dessert after dinner many nights - but NOT as a meal replacement. Mine typically includes:

1 cup light soy milk or nut milk (40-70 cals)
    1 cup frozen mixed berries and cherries (70 cals) or 1 frozen banana (110 cals)
    2 scoops Chocorite brand protein powder (150 cals)
    1/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese (82 cals)
    1 ice cube

Total: 342 cals to 412 cals (that's 11g fat, 35g protein, 34g carbs, and 9g of fiber)

You could leave out the ricotta and use low fat yogurt or none at all, but for me, the taste is most important not the number of calories. Without the ricotta or any yogurt, and using unsweetened nut milk for the liquid, that brings the calories down to 260cal-300cal depending on the fruit. The ice cube and frozen fruit make the result filling and thick, the whole milk ricotta adds creaminess. I used to put oat bran in mine, but didn't like the flavor - and if I want greenery, I'll have it as a side with my entree rather than ruining a perfectly good smoothie. :D

There are a lot of other interesting recipes on here, search for "smoothie" via the forum menu bar above.
  • jenerek_md
    jenerek_md Posts: 41 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have a green smoothie every morning that is about 300 calories:
    - one medium avocado
    - One frozen banana
    - One can of pineapple tidbits strained
    - 2 handfuls of spinach
    - Mint leaves (depending on preference can add more or less I use about 10)
    - One cup of almond milk
    - One scoop vanilla protein powder
    - One lime squeezed
    - Ice
    - Water to consistency desired

I kind of think this recipe reminds me of a pina colada without the booze of course lol

Note: This makes two smoothies.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I don't go for low cal smoothies, as for me they are a breakfast and should have the same cals as the other breakfasts I eat. I do want them to contain vegetables, protein, and some fat (as that's what I'd want in a breakfast).

Latest recipe (I vary based on what's on hand) was:

avocado
    frozen cauliflower (I usually use pre-roasted winter squash but was out)
    lots of frozen kale (I also use spinach often)
    blueberries and cranberries (not a whole lot)
    vanilla protein powder
    some homemade cashew milk
    some flaxseed
    water to make it the right consistency

Makes a ton, not super sweet, but that's my preference. To cut calories you would use something lower fat than my homemade cashew milk (which contains cashews) and leave out the flaxseed.