Need a new way of looking at this.

Options
I started my journey in Oct 2017 with 50 lbs to lose. I have lost 11 but have been completely derailed since Christmas. My problem is that I'm telling myself that counting calories is no way to live and that it's not normal or mentally healthy to be that obsessed with food. So I try to just eat well and eat intuitively but I don't succeed there either because I feel like I need some concrete evidence that I am getting healthier. I will be 40 this year and type 2 diabetes runs in my family and I am scared to death of it. Logically I know that I just need to count calories and stop over thinking things. Obviously, if I could just "eat well and eat intuitively" then I wouldn't have a weight problem. How do I convince myself that intuitive eating doesn't work for me and I need to count calories even though it makes me obsess over food? I get going counting calories and then those thoughts creep back in. Has anyone dealt with this? Anyone have advice?

Replies

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    If intuitive eating worked for you, you wouldn't need to lose 39 lbs. That's the bottom line. You can "guess" at how much you need to eat or you can track and have a more accurate idea.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I haven't had exactly those thoughts - I actually enjoyed logging my food - but I do recognize the mindset of self-sabotage. Do you think that your longing to "eat intuitively" is in fact just an excuse to eat mindlessly, and that you're justifying it by telling yourself that calorie counting is "obsessive"? Permanent weight management can only happen if you are fed up with overeating - being overweight, and even the threat of disease, isn't enough to permanently change daily behaviors that you find pleasant and easy and comforting - you need an alternative set of behaviors that also are pleasant and easy and comforting, but not making you gain weight.

The words you use, are also important, in my opinion. "Obsessed" is a negative word. Can you replace it with "awareness" and "passion"? Food is good, you can and should enjoy it, but responsibly. You can't do that while being afraid - just to try to bring this essay together.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Well done for your weight loss this far. Are you possibly trying to jump to "maintenance" before you've got to where you want to be? Christmas and other celebrations can be derailing for as long as you let them.

Calorie counting is a good way to discover your portion control/size. You would like to loose another 30 odd lb, ish? You lost approximately 11lb in as many weeks so by this October by calorie counting doing much the same as you did, all being well finding your self discipline, you will be where you want to be. (Taking and keeping track of your measurements should get you past any weeks without any recognisable losses, they happen.)

From achieving your goal it becomes much more interesting, discovering how much food you can add in on a regular basis while still keeping within 7 or as many lbs as you choose of where you want to be without regularly going overboard again. Some add in so many calories a day, or a week others find their own way, the choice is yours.

No one wants to keep yo-yo dieting. The best way to avoid this is to discover what is right for you this time and enjoy the meals you have without letting them enjoy you, eating for the sake of it. Things may change with time 10/15 years or so, with will and an understanding of yourself you can do it for your life time. All the very best for your future, may it be the one you want.
  • CourtneyUT
    CourtneyUT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Do your balance your finances to make sure you pay your bills and stay within your budget, rather than spend intuitively? It's just good sense to use the available tools to stay on track rather than to flounder for no good reason.

Calorie counting is just body care like brushing my teeth or washing my hair. If I have to be obsessive to stay in the normal BMI range, then that's a positive, useful obsession.

Thank you for this. That's a perfect example.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You can make intuitive eating a goal, but use calorie counting a tool to get there, use the data you gain to learn what you can eat and what a portion size is etc. Just remember it can take time and a few months isn't long enough. The other thing is if you get diabetes, in order to.keep your blood sugar under control you will need to track carbohydrates anyway
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's possible for some people to lose weight without counting calories. One example - the No "S" Diet. What that is - no sweets, no snacks, no seconds, except sometimes on days that begin with "S" - Saturdays, Sundays, Special days. Some people can make this work.
  • Kezzah183
    Kezzah183 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I’ve got to admit that calorie counting is the best and easiest way for me. It’s made me realise, especially with weighing everything, how much I was overeating!! Guessing for me didn’t work, I was having literally double and triple the amount what I should have all because I guessed everything.
    I know how thing can easily become obsessive though. My obsession in the past was always the scales, getting weighed 20 times a day, getting upset because I’d put .2 pound on then I’d eat and drink less and less. A Very unhealthy mentality. so this time I’ve sworn to weigh once a week and it’s very tempting but I’m doing it the right way this time without stressing myself out.
    Just be healthy with it. Log all you food you want through the day in the morning then forget about it until tomorrow. That way your only thinking about it once a day. Hope this helps
  • CourtneyUT
    Options
    pamfgil wrote: »
    You can make intuitive eating a goal, but use calorie counting a tool to get there, use the data you gain to learn what you can eat and what a portion size is etc. Just remember it can take time and a few months isn't long enough. The other thing is if you get diabetes, in order to.keep your blood sugar under control you will need to track carbohydrates anyway

You're right - so really, it's track now or be lazy now and get diabetes and have to track anyway. Thank you for your perspective.
  • CourtneyUT
    Options
    Kezzah183 wrote: »
    I’ve got to admit that calorie counting is the best and easiest way for me. It’s made me realise, especially with weighing everything, how much I was overeating!! Guessing for me didn’t work, I was having literally double and triple the amount what I should have all because I guessed everything.
    I know how thing can easily become obsessive though. My obsession in the past was always the scales, getting weighed 20 times a day, getting upset because I’d put .2 pound on then I’d eat and drink less and less. A Very unhealthy mentality. so this time I’ve sworn to weigh once a week and it’s very tempting but I’m doing it the right way this time without stressing myself out.
    Just be healthy with it. Log all you food you want through the day in the morning then forget about it until tomorrow. That way your only thinking about it once a day. Hope this helps

That is good advice. Thank you!
  • fuzzy_l0gic
    fuzzy_l0gic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    To avoid the tediousness of counting every calorie everyday, I decided to pre-count some set breakfasts and lunches and save those in MFP as meals. Now I only need to count my dinner everyday, but only having to do it once a day has made my life easier.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Would you rather test your blood several times a day and take pills or insulin shots to manage potential diabetes for the rest of your life or would you rather count calories for awhile? You might not need to count forever, perhaps you can use it as a tool to create new habits and new judgments. Even if you have to count calories forever, you might decide its better than counting glucose , Insulin, sodium, pills, or whatever else you might need to do to manage a disease.

I don't mean this in a judgemental way, just a reality check that many of us have had to face.
  • pedrozamatt
    pedrozamatt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I found that finding the right foods to eat can help, and I’d say that snacking on those foods and drinking a glass of water without sitting down to a meal is a good habit.
    Think frozen, microwaveable meats, and fruits and vegetables. Make quick, pack quick, and eat quick. Don’t forget water helps with food digestion, so drink plenty of it