No weight loss on 30 day shred (half way point). Water weight?

Options
I have been logging and losing weight since the end of August. Up to Christmas I lost about 1.5lb per week on average for a total of 25lb. Over Christmas and New Year up to January 12 I ate at a smaller deficit or close to maintenance. In that time I lost about 2.5lb. Since then I have had a net deficit of around 500-750 calories and have been doing the 30 Day Shred every night. My weight has bounced around between 179 to 182. I keep waiting for a woosh but it’s not happening. My trend line on Happy Scale is completely flat.

My question is, could this be water weight from new exercise (after nearly 2 weeks) or am I eating too much back from exercise?

My stats:
Female, 44 years, 5.7
Starting weight 207
Current weight 181
Goal weight 157

MSP currently set for lightly active, 1lb per week goal loss

Calorie goal 1590
Daily steps 8000-10000
Exercise - daily 30 day shred. Logged as 180 calories (This is based on my heart rate monitor. I believe it is a conservative estimate)

I don’t eat all my exercise calories back but usually eat about 1600 to 1800 which give me around 1000 to 1200 net. I have a Fitbit Alta HR synced and it usually gives me quite a lot of extra calories earned through steps. I tend to leave about 150 uneaten every day. On Fitbit my calories are always ‘under target’.

I am logging every bite and weighing where practical. If I’m out and can’t weigh I try to over estimate. I think I have a pretty good handle on serving size.

Recently I have had so many extra calories left at night that I’ve been eating 200-300 calorie treats just to get me over 1000 net calories. Maybe I need to cut that out but then I would be netting too few calories if Fitbit is to be believed.

In reading this over I think I can answer my own question and tell myself to be patient. I think my shape has changed since starting exercise and I’m sure the scale weight will follow. It’s just tempting to force my body to co-operate by eating less.

Any advice appreciated but not the flow chart please. I’ve seen it many times.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It took over 4 weeks of weight lifting consistently for my whoosh to happen. If you are certain about your logging (it would be worth reviewing), then hang on for a bit longer.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    My guess is that you are eating too many calories back, particularly with the fitbit steps. As you get closer to your ideal weight, it get's harder to lose. Maybe cut back on eating the calories back a little bit and see if you start losing again.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    When I start to exercise consistently after a break it takes me up to 6 weeks for the scale to budge. But then all the accumulated loss for the period really shows on the scale.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Have you taken any measurements?

Last time I did 30DS I lost inches.

This year I am doing a mix of her DVD's and my weight has been all over the place, but again I'm seeing inches lost (week 4 of my mix starts Monday).

Edit: found my old Post... I only had it part of my routine for 27 days. In that time I had 6.25" lost and 4.4 lb drop in weight. I wasn't doing it everyday..looks like I only did the DVD 17 times and was 3 days into level 3. I took a recovery day once or twice a week. It wasn't my only workout. I was lifting as well and stopped because my lifting was being negatively affected.
  • Boot1973
    Boot1973 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I have lost inches. I find it hard to measure consistently but my clothes fit better and a lot of people are giving me compliments. I’m basically the same weight I was before Christmas and no one was saying much then. So I think it’s working. I am also going to tighten up my logging though and not eat back the Fitbit steps unless I’m really hungry. It’s so tempting to eat junk when you’ve already met all your nutritional goals and you’ve got 400 calories staring at you!

Going out tonight so night off from Jillian. Think we need the break, lol.