How much water should I drink per day?

Options
I have read somewhere before that you should drink a certain amount of water per day for the weight that you are in order for you to lose weight. So if I weigh 189 how much water should I drink? And how would you calculate this to find out how much to drink?

Replies

• sturgill
    sturgill Posts: 118
    Options
    I was told to divide my weight by 2 and drink that many ounces of water .
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    What I found on the internet said take your weight and multiply it by .55. So for you that would be about 100 ounces.
  • cnjbarry
    cnjbarry Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    no matter what you weigh you should drink 8 cup of water a day or more. No more that a gallon a day
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have read somewhere before that you should drink a certain amount of water per day for the weight that you are in order for you to lose weight. So if I weigh 189 how much water should I drink? And how would you calculate this to find out how much to drink?

half your body weight in ounces. 189/2
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I drink half my body weight in ounces but a minimum of 64 ounces regardless.

Aside from helping flush your system and keep you hydrated, I'm not sure why people say water helps you lose weight.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Ok here's how I heard it. It's 1/2 oz per pound of body weight. There are 128 oz in a gallon. That's the minimum. If you exercise or it's really hot you should drink more.

I know it's a ton. But for the past two weeks I've really been trying to drink a gallon a day. It's hard at times. But I have found that I like the look and feel much better. My skin isn't so dry, it also looks smoother. Also a big plus for me is that the BM's have really become regular and more productive so to speak. :) Also I don't have to go to the rr all the time.
  • kmeekhof
    Options
    no matter what you weigh you should drink 8 cup of water a day or more. No more that a gallon a day

this is not true.... 8 is the "recommended" but somebody who weighs 200lbs is going to need more than somebody who weighs 100lbs
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i posted a topic about water a couple weeks ago but it seems to have vanished...... :grumble:

You should drink 8 8oz glasses per day and add another 8oz glass per 25 pounds of extra weight you cary.

so for me 168 pounds 64oz+16(ish)oz
  • kmeekhof
    Options
    I drink half my body weight in ounces but a minimum of 64 ounces regardless.

Aside from helping flush your system and keep you hydrated, I'm not sure why people say water helps you lose weight.

I know it doesn't really make sense, but it also helps prevent water retention. It flushes toxins out of your body. Helps move the fiber through your body.
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    remembered reading that somewhere also; so I looked it up. One site I looked on was your weight divided by 2 is the number of ounces of water so at 189 you would need 94.5 ounces of water a day.
  • countrygirl0123
    countrygirl0123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! :smile:
  • demone00
    demone00 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was told to divide my weight by 2 and drink that many ounces of water .

this is what I was told
  • 2BFitHealthy
    Options
    I was told to never exceed a gallon.
  • Clash1001
    Clash1001 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've always heard the 8 glasses thing....but what size is a glass? 8 pint glasses would be a gallon, so I'm guessing half pint glasses?

(Sorry, I'm uk based, and liquid in ounces is totally meaningless to me...off to google it!)
  • sheaprovines
    sheaprovines Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So does my fitness pal adjust the amount of water you need to drink according to your weight? I am at 336 pounds and it say 65 ounces which seems hard for me to drink so much!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    So does my fitness pal adjust the amount of water you need to drink according to your weight? I am at 336 pounds and it say 65 ounces which seems hard for me to drink so much!

It gives everyone the same amount, but it isn't necessary for everyone. Judge your hydration levels by your urine color...if it's light/pale, you're good.

(Yeah yeah I know, seven year old thread)
  • jennrissa
    jennrissa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use an app called water drink reminder. If you enter your weight it will tell you. As you lose weight or do activities or are in hit weather it will give you the adjustment, so long as you enter what's going on and it's simple to do. For your weight it said 95.7 fl oz.