Disappointed

Options
So I've been at it under my 1200 calories goal every day except 1 this week. The 1 day I went over, hoping to jumpstart my metabolism. Well thecsvsle hasn't budged...Im up .6 from last Saturday? I don't get it it...I had a great week, even had the flu part if he week, so that's how little I was eating. Other than calories, what 1 macro should I focus on. I'm down 11 and have 40 to go!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Jump starting your metabolism isn't a thing. Your metabolism is running just fine. Stay consistent with logging daily and weigh your food if you aren't already.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Weigh can be influenced by water, and undigested food, if you've been sick you may be retaining water
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is funny that way. I had a week where I hardly lost anything, and the next week I dropped 3 lbs. I would be careful that you don't eat too much under 1,200 so you don't unintentionally slow down your metabolism.

The other macro I would watch would be protein. As you lose weight, you may lose muscle along with fat. Keeping your protein intake high, along with exercise...particularly strength training, will minimize muscle loss.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    kazgorat1 wrote: »
    Weight loss is funny that way. I had a week where I hardly lost anything, and the next week I dropped 3 lbs. I would be careful that you don't eat too much under 1,200 so you don't unintentionally slow down your metabolism.

The other macro I would watch would be protein. As you lose weight, you may lose muscle along with fat. Keeping your protein intake high, along with exercise...particularly strength training, will minimize muscle loss.

She shouldn't be eating under 1200 at all.

OP, weigh ALL your food with a scale, give it a month, and eat to whatever number MFP gives you. And ensure that your deficit isn't too extreme.
  • G8r4evr
    G8r4evr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    kazgorat1 wrote: »

She shouldn't be eating under 1200 at all.

OP, weigh ALL your food with a scale, give it a month, and eat to whatever number MFP gives you. And ensure that your deficit isn't too extreme.

• G8r4evr
    G8r4evr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. MFP gave me 1200, I thought that was average. I come in at it just below 1200 almost every day. I am weighing my food. I do eat a lot of the lean cuisine type meals, so my protein is probably on the lower side. Sodium is under almost every day. My fat does seem to be a few grams over almost every day...I wonder if that's my problem. Trying to up my water intake this week. No exercise, but hopefully soon. It's not my time of the month...wish I could blame it on that. Really need a win on the scale soon. Family is eating my favorites every day and I'm siting here with a bowl of soup.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You could eat all of your calories from fat, it won't make a difference (although I wouldn't recommend it from a nutrition perspective). Exercise would allow for some extra calories. The packaged food can be off by 20%, so if you aren't weighing those, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

I stand by the recommendation to have some more patience as well. If you are certain you are doing everything else right, give it time. Sometimes the scale doesn't move because it just doesn't feel like it. The scale is a jerk sometimes.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Weight varies and you said you've lost 11 pounds so you are losing weight. You want to look at your trend over months, not day-to-day or even week-to-week.

My weight tends to bump up about the time I ovulate. Here's a weight trend chart where I was at or under my calorie goal every day. My weight was up and down, even my trend was up and down, but my overall trend was downward.

vsl1eahckmxy.jpg
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    G8r4evr wrote: »
    So I've been at it under my 1200 calories goal every day except 1 this week. The 1 day I went over, hoping to jumpstart my metabolism. Well thecsvsle hasn't budged...Im up .6 from last Saturday? I don't get it it...I had a great week, even had the flu part if he week, so that's how little I was eating. Other than calories, what 1 macro should I focus on. I'm down 11 and have 40 to go!

You haven't given us enough information to even know where to start. I'd start with the fact that you are worrying about .6 of a pound. Next, how did you determine your calorie needs? How long have you been doing this? 11 pounds is awesome progress! You are young and apparently in a hurry to lose the weight. Patience is important because each day will be different for you and many factors influence what your weight will be on any given day. enter your stats into MFP and you will find that you can eat more than 1200 calories and still lose weight at a reasonable pace. You should also be able to eat what the rest of your family eats, just at quantities that meet your calorie goal. Don't deprive yourself as that will only make you feel more discouraged.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. MFP gave me 1200, I thought that was average. I come in at it just below 1200 almost every day. I am weighing my food. I do eat a lot of the lean cuisine type meals, so my protein is probably on the lower side. Sodium is under almost every day. My fat does seem to be a few grams over almost every day...I wonder if that's my problem. Trying to up my water intake this week. No exercise, but hopefully soon. It's not my time of the month...wish I could blame it on that. Really need a win on the scale soon. Family is eating my favorites every day and I'm siting here with a bowl of soup.

MFP set your daily calorie goal based on information you entered, including your weight loss goal. You really have a lot more control than it seems here.

Most people automatically set their weight loss goal for 2lbs a week. And for many women, MFP sets daily calories to achieve that, even if the deficit created won’t achieve that. This because MFP will not set a calorie goal below 1200, because it’s not healthy. So hard to get your body all the nutrients it needs with fewer calories than that. Unless you have over 100 pounds to lose, 2 pounds week is too aggressive a deficit.

There’s no reason for you to not eat what you want, it’ll just be in smaller portions. Healthy eating is about balance, not about deprivation.

OP, how tall are you, what’s your current weight and goal weight? Are you eating back any exercise calories?
  • pedrozamatt
    pedrozamatt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi, ever tried frozen meats? I love microwaving my protein, and snacking on fruit and vegetables. That way I can eat a few servings a day
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

The point is that there is no problem. You could do everything "perfectly" and you still won't consistently lose weight on the scale every single week. Unfortunately, weight loss just doesn't work like that. Some weeks you will maintain, some you might gain a little bit and you can't do anything to prevent that.

I would also recommend a weight trending app like Libra. It really helps to see the overall trend under the little fluctuations.