Do you eat your exercise calories?

Options
Just wondering whether I can still loose weight if I am eating my calories gained through exercise? I'm a bit worried about eating too little as in the past I have got very hungry when I have dieted in the past as then ended up binging. But will I loose weight if I eat my exercise calories?

Replies

• wryone4
    wryone4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. I sometimes do if I am having a night out. Sometimes I just keep them as a deficit. The key thing is to make sure you eat your allocated daily calories (without exercise). Eating too little can be counterproductive. Agree with the PP - MFP overestimates calories burned. If you are going to eat back the calories, start with 50%. Good luck!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I used to but recently switched to TDEE method for tracking my calories
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Yes, if I'm hungry.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I eat all of my exercise calories. So far I've lost 37 lbs. doing so. Whenever I don't I usually end up overeating the next day or later in the week. I usually do not exercise on machines. The calorie burns on MFP seem to be accurate for me.
  • ssarzen1976
    ssarzen1976 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've been on maintenance for several years and I eat most of mine back. Never been a problem...
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhere in the middle. I agree you need to fuel your body for a workout..if not it can stall weightless. but.. do you need to eat 800 exercise calories back to do that? no. Some fruit..or small portion of oatmeal or a hard boiled egg would do it.
  • mikeb4bjj
    mikeb4bjj Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I try to eat all of my exercise calories, but that can be a bit tough on days I train 3-4 hours (just Fridays, really). It's NBD if you are in weight loss mode, but if you are trying to maintain strength, you should try and eat your full allotment.