I went obver my calorie limit for the day.....

Options
ebygin
ebygin Posts: 13 Member
I went over by 78 calories yesterday. I had started this journey 3 weeks ago and am usually slightly under my limit. But, yesterday, I had a second helping of salad with dressing for supper....
So, should I do half an hour on the recumbent bike in order to use up those extra calories? Or, any other activity to have a deficit calorie count at the end of the day? Is this what most beginners should do until one is used to counting calories BEFORE putting the food in the mouth - which I see now as a helpful idea when planning the days food intake. Thank you in advance. I am going to do some squats now. :-)

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    its completely up to you. You can either go for a walk, ride the bike or simply move on to the next day. 78 calories isnt going to be noticed in the long scheme of reaching your goals.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    You don't 'have' to do squats or jump on the bike for so little. MFP already accounts for a deficit, as long as you're not entirely using it up when you go over you'll be fine. Something like 78 calories over is nothing.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    When you set your goal, what rate of loss did you choose? 1 lb/week? If so, you have a 500 cal deficit built into that daily goal and a 3,500 cal deficit into your week. The 78 cal overage in one day, especially if you're often under, won't matter at all. In fact many people plan their weeks to be under calories some day and then over on weekends or even there's a special event. That's how I did it when losing and it didn't impact my progress at all.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    "Going over the limit" is something that happens occasionally.
    The important thing about this:
    Don't let this question the journey as such!

Pick up the shards of your damaged pride, glue them together then walk on and never look back.
  • ebygin
    ebygin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies. I'll not worry about it and try to keep my calories more in check through-out the day.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    When I go over, I log the extra calories into the next day. That way I eat a bit less the next day and it balances out.
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    78kcal over is still a 422kcal deficit. I wouldn't bother if I was under-eating most of the days
  • colingrace08
    colingrace08 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Do not punish yourself!! This will lead to a very unhealthy relationship with food. Just shake it off and remember it's about the long haul. One day out of 365 isn't going to make you gain any weight at all.
  • janelleginnetto
    janelleginnetto Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    What everyone said is true. I go over once or twice a week and just make up for it with the rest of the week
  • 911Doughboy
    911Doughboy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    considering that roughly 3000-3500 calories is around 1lb, i wouldnt worry too much about it
  • wryone4
    wryone4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't punish yourself! Remember that each day is a small step and its the long-term that has impact. You will have days it is easy to stay at or below your range and days when it is not easy. As long as you are paying attention and trying to stay where you need to be most of the time, you will be fine! Just keep at it!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Do you immediately grab something to eat when you are a few calories under?
  • suziecrn
    suziecrn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    all anyone can do is attempt to do their best each day. total perfection is impossible and i would think very boring. we are all here for various reasons but my guess is health is a goal for everyone. But health is not just physical but very mental as most of us know. take this old lady's advice. Let go of the little things and embrace the positive no matter how small. life truly is fleeting and beating ourselves up over bumps in the road is useless. Enjoy today!
  • Gould118
    Gould118 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Going over 78 calories is not the end of the world!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    78 calories is not anything significant. Think of it like this....3,500 calories to lose 1 pound. 78/3500 = .022286.

Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. Going over one day is NOTHING to stress over. Eat fewer calories than your maintenance......over time, and you will lose weight.