Dairy Free/ Vegan Protein Powder

Options
Does anyone have recommendations for dairy free protein powder? I’ve developed an intolerance to dairy, and any dairy makes me break out with horrible painful cystic pimples. I’ve tried Vega One and couldn’t stand it. I was using Quest but given that it’s whey protein, I can’t use it anymore.

Any recommendations would help. I usually mix it with frozen fruit, spinach and water in the blender if that helps.

Replies

• MavenAnderson
    MavenAnderson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there, first time to comment on a post (hope I'm doing this right), but a couple of months ago I also went on a search for a dairy free protein powder.. I have a horrible stomach intolerance to anything with whey protein. I didn't like Vega One either.

I found MRM Veggie Elite Protein on a bodybuilding forum and it had great reviews. It's sold on the company's website, but I ordered mine on Amazon, where it also had really good reviews and a cheaper price.

I've tried both the Cinnamon Bun and Chocolate Flavor and really liked both! Hope this helps!

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Probably the closest thing to quest, in terms of flavor, is orgain. However, I think quest tastes a bit better (but it's close).
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I've heard really good things about Orgain and it's available at Target for about 30 dollars.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    There's a vegan shakeology. Terra's whey uses goats milk which you can try sample sizes of. I'd suggest pea protein or hemp protein. I'd try to steer clear or soy isoflavone protein powder bc 1. Soy is a phytoestrogen 2. Isoflavones aren't that great for you. 3. If you have trouble digesting
    Avoid whey bc it's hardest to digest there is another kind of whey that is easily digestible but I forget the name. Or you can make your own protein drink. All you need is a nutmilk or dairy free yogurt for a base eggs some veggies like kale n spinach a fruit like blueberries ( oats are a good protein source or cottage cheese if you can tolerate it) and I add superseed to mine for fiber supplements
  • jaxonbean
    jaxonbean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you in Canada by chance? Epicure has an amazing vegan protein powder with heat stable probiotics! So you can bake with it too!
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I take FundAminos. It's comprised of the essential amino acids, which is the part of protein that's important because you make the rest. I like it, lightly flavored and I mix it into a daily fruit/veggie smoothie. I run and lift and am eating whole food plant based and this works for me as a "protein" drink.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I've heard really good things about Orgain and it's available at Target for about 30 dollars.

It's even less on Amazon, and you get a discount if you like it enough to subscribe to it. I get it for about $22.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try spirulina pills or brown rice protein.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like Orgain. I hate Quest, though, so maybe I'm not a good judge, since everyone else seems to like that one (my favorite whey brand was Biochem).

IME, the Vegas vary a lot. I initially hated it, but have found some kinds I like, although maybe it grew on me. My biggest issue with non whey proteins (I haven't tried egg white) is that they don't mix as easily, so I tend to use them in things I do with my mixer and don't just mix them into yogurt or oats like I did with the whey.
  • SouthernVeganMama
    Options
    My husband likes Orgain, but my favorite is the Vitamix brand “Blend it Up”. It has tons of good stuff in it WITHOUT sweetener!! I hate stevia and all those sweeteners, and with this I can sweeten with fruit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Generally you can get natural/unsweetened from most brands, IME. At least I could with Biochem, and Orgain has it.
  • mbminx
    mbminx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I rather enjoy Amazing Grass. One of the tastiest ones I've tried so far. I've also tried one made from bone broth (actually called Bone Broth Protein) That was Ok. Just because it wasn't my favorite - you might think it's great. Worth a try - at Fresh Thyme they have a variety of single serving packets, which are great for trying different brands.
  • th1nr
    th1nr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My favorite it Bob's Red Mills brand -- yes the same brand that does the gluten free flour but they make great plant-based protein powder. It's tasty and affordable, there are chocolate, vanilla and chai flavors as well as an unflavored version I believe? It has probiotics, chia seeds, and iron as well as 20g protein per serving
  • spartan117sj
    spartan117sj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Another commenter already mentioned it, but I personally love MRM. They have a couple different varieties, with the Veggie Elite + Superfoods being one of my favorites. Clean ingredients, good macros, and excellent taste. I used Vega too, but had to bow out once their big, 45-serving tub hit $70
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few over the years, and the one I've stuck with the past few years is PlantFusion. I can actually just shake it up with water & drink it like that, doesn't taste "chalky" to me.

And, your "recipe" for your smoothie is pretty much like mine! I add in hemp seeds, and occasionally PB2, so I know it will work well for that.
  • fatvegan88
    fatvegan88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like Iron Vegan. Best taste and consistency hands down.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Costco has a couple good vegan vegetable protein powders my wife likes them. Due to Crohns she is sensitive to lactose.