Post Kidney transplant trying to lose weight

Options
Is there anyone else out there who has had s kidney transplant and is trying to lose weight?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    This is well without the capabilities of an on line forum.

Please talk to your medical team. Also request a registered dietitian to help you lose weight.

Cheer, h.
  • beemcbe
    beemcbe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I haven’t had a transplant but I work on the kidney transplant team at a hospital. Are you recently transplanted and if so, cleared for exercise? Have your docs told you to lose weight?
    I second the above comment - talk to your team. There should be a dietician on staff who can meet with you. People are often frustrated after transplant because weight gain can be a side effect of the meds they give you. You might also consider asking about patient support groups in your area, where you might have better luck connecting with other recipients than on here.
  • ivettemgl
    ivettemgl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congratulations! I hope you are feeling well. I had a kidney transplant... my 7th year kindneyversary will be on April 13th. Weight maintenance has been a challenge but I try to stay as active as possible. Recently, mid January, I set out on the quest of losing 10 pounds - the weight I have gained since the transplant. I can share my successes, struggles, and motivation if necessary, Good luck.
  • linfalk
    linfalk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am hitting my three year Transplant anniversary on February 27! I am cleared for exercise, and have a dietitian that works on my Transplant unit.
    I was just looking for other post kidney folks to talk to and see what works and doesn’t work for them, what works for me, (and doesn’t) lol
    I have many reasons why I am trying to lose, mainly for my health. Also my son is getting married in August. Overall I lost 20 lbs after my transplant and gained it all back.
    I’m not looking for any medical advice, I was just looking for someone who is going through what I am going through.
  • pedrozamatt
    pedrozamatt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Wishing you a healthy life. Are you from USA? I am. I live off the pacific coast. Would like more friends in the same time zone.
  • linfalk
    Options
    Hi! I live in upstate New York. I don’t have a preference where friends are located.
    Are you also post transplant?
    My workouts are done on a Max Trainer. I don’t think I could ever do it like they do on t.v. though.
    Do you have a fitness routine that works for you?
    My name is Linda. Where are you located off the west coast?
    Thank you for your well wishes! I am trying to get healthy.
  • kimhski1
    kimhski1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm not a recipient but I'm a kidney giver :) Our 8 year kidneyversary is in March. So glad you are doing great!
  • FreidayGal
    FreidayGal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just got my kidney transplant 7 weeks ago today! The meds wrecked havoc on my tummy, so I lost 20 lbs in the first 5 weeks. We changed meds and I have a schedule that works, so I've been able to eat well the past two weeks. I need to lose 20 more lbs, but slowly. Would also like to meet people who are dealing with post transplant nutrition. Send me a friend request at FreidayGal!
  • ivettemgl
    Options
    Hi Linda. I live in Connecticut, I enjoy working out at my local YMCA - Zumba, treadmill (fast pace walking), and water aerobics. Personally, it is difficult for me to workout at home, I enjoy the energy of the group classes. It was difficult to get going with group exercise classes because working through kidney failure (kindergarten teacher) was all I had the energy to do for an extended period of time. Pre-transplant I lost 10 pounds because of the diet restrictions but have gained it back throughout the 6.5 years since the transplant. Since I could not eat chocolate for close to a year, I made it an eight serving food group post transplant - hence the 10 pounds. I have scaled back some with the chocolate. Good luck on your weight lose journey and best wishes for a perfect August wedding.
    Ivette
  • linfalk
    Options
    Hi Ivette! They do say chocolate is good for the brain! Did the anti rejection drugs give you diabetes? They did for me. I have found a way to include chocolate in my diet. Fiber One has a delicious chocolate brownie that is about 110 calories. I don’t eat them every day, but they are really good and can quash the chocolate craving, plus they are a good source of fiber.
    At what point did you go back to work after your transplant? I stil have not gone back to work, as I have bad arthritis and numerous other issues. I tried going back to work four months after my transplant but only lasted a week.
    Have you had any issues since your surgery that have put you back in the hospital? I miss working (I am a cook) but I can’t return to it now. In July I fell in a store and severely bruised and injured the bones in my wrist. (dominant hand) and I am still dealing with that. I may have to have surgery. I am like a magnet for sickness and injuries! Lol. Thank you for your well wishes!
    Linda
  • ivettemgl
    Options
    I must have an exceptionally healthy brain. I worked throughout kidney failure - honestly it was the most difficult time for me...so tired but always put mind before body. I did not tell my administrators what was going on because I just wanted a place where I did not have to continuously live out the illness. My brother gave me a kidney and I was blessed to not have to endure dialysis. My transplant was in April and I returned to work late August. I was walking a mile daily a month after the transplant. So funny you say "magnet for sickness and injury,' my doctor cleared me to fly in a plane a year after the transplant and I decided to go to Dominican Republic on vacation...I was participating in a pool side aerobics class, slipped, and fractured my knee in three parts. Imagine the pain!!!! I refused all medication and had my doctor on the phone the next morning. Did I mention the fall happened on day one of the trip. I'm sorry about your fall - I know its frustrating because you just want to be well. The anti-rejection medication did not give me diabetes. My kidney function troubles from lupus, my cells were attacking the kidneys, this was at the age of 23. I was lucky it was found early, through a routine urinalysis they encountered high levels of protein and the drama began. I did have both wrists braced, ankle wraps, knee immobilizers. I think we may need human protective bubbles.
  • linfalk
    Options
    Ivette, It’s funny how we just attract crap, isn’t it! My daughter in law keeps threatening to buy me one of those big plastic blow up bubbles! If I could just get rid of the arthritis I could manage the rest! Lol. Every time I turn around I get something else that sets me back. Do you find that you have a lot of fatigue? That is one of my major complaints. I deal with anemia a lot and low red blood cells. I do get peppier after working out on my Max trainer though.
    I’m sorry to hear about your having Lupus. I understand that it is a very difficult disease to deal with. I will keep you in my prayers.
    How is the snowfall out your way? We just got 5-6 inches and they are calling for another crap load. Spring can’t come fast enough!
  • MaggiePlusKidney
    Options
    I'll be four years post on April 22nd. 35lbs down since my transplant! For nutrition - I count macros, for exercise I do Crossfit 4x per week and yoga 2-3x per week.
  • linfalk
    Options
    Hi Maggie! Thanks for responding! Wow I wish I was in good enough physical condition to do that! I’m considering yoga because of. My arthritis. I worry about losing mobility. I am currently counting calories and tracking everything I eat, and it really seems to help me. I have degenerative arthritis in my knee that is flared up right now pretty bad. I will most likely have to have surgery on it.
    Congratulations on your approaching kidneversary!
  • MaggiePlusKidney
    Options
    Nice part about Crossfit is it's really scalable for all fitness levels. You don't have to be fit or even in shape to start. Arthritis would be tough to navigate with though. Definitely encourage yoga fo mobility!