Hard losing

Options
AtlasxMedic
AtlasxMedic Posts: 16 Member
edited January 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey all, looking for some overall advice.

So I’m trying to chip away at my overall weight loss goal. I started January at 208lbs after being 195lb before Thanksgiving. I decided to fully clean up my diet, and put in more effort at the gym after Christmas. My daily meals now include 2-3 eggs for breakfast, veggies and chicken/fish for lunch, a protein shake following my workout, and then chicken/fish with veggies for dinner. I also drink 1/2 to 1 gallon of water a day. As for workouts, I work out 4x a week. 3 of those days, I start with 5-30mins of high intensity interval cardio and then lift weights for about 1 hour. The 4th day is dedicated to circuit training with cardio. I also make use of the sauna at my gym. After 4 weeks I weighed myself and I’m up to 220. I’m lost on what to do at this point, and I’m extremely discouraged. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong with my workouts or diet or both. Some have said I may not be taking in enough calories, but I’m not sure how to take in more calories and still be healthy. Others have said it’s just muscle gain, but I don’t see how I can gain 12 lbs of muscle without losing any fat.

I’d appreciate any and all input, advice, or criticism. Thanks!

**Edit** Just to clarify, I’ve discussed my issues with two doctors, and both have done labs and diagnostic testing. Both found no thyroid, insulin, or general metabolic issues.

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    How many calories per day are you eating and how are you measuring those calories?
  • AtlasxMedic
    Options
    Josh_lol wrote: »
    Your food diary is currently set to private so we can't determine if your calorie intake is accurate or not. If you've gained 12 lbs in the 4 weeks after weighing yourself, your calories in will more than likely be higher than what you are using.

What is your activity level? Do you work a desk job or a fairly physical job?

Weight loss is determined solely by calories. "Clean eating" and all that bs will not help you lose weight if you're still eating too many calories.

Weight and fat are 2 different things. All of those 12 lbs will more than likely not all be fat. When taking up a new exercise routine, your body will hold onto excess water while it repairs itself. To help determine your progress, I would recommend using a tape measure and measuring yourself across various parts of your body so you can use that to record progress as well.

Your body will not build muscle if you are in a deficit; this is a very common myth that if someone is not losing weight but still shrinking and losing fat, they are building muscle. This is not true and is likely the culprit of just your body holding onto water. Once your body has repaired itself and you get used to doing your workout routine or it starts feeling less difficult, you will likely notice a sudden drop in weight when you shed a lot of that excess water you were carrying.

Just a little disclaimer, I'm not a physician or dietitian in any way, if you seek proper medical advice or a workout / diet plan, seek a professional's help.

So I take in about 1200-1500 calories a day, and per my FitBit I burn anywhere from 1600-2100. I work as a Paramedic so my activity at work varies.

As for taping - I tape every other week. Over these 4 weeks I’ve gained an inch to my chest, abdomen, and calves. Everything else is the same.

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring calories by weighing food in grams on a scale? Using measuring cups and spoons? Eyeballing? It could be that you are eating more than you think. A scale would be the most accurate for solid foods.

If your exercise regime is new, you are also likely retaining some water (weight). This is temporary and will even out after a couple of weeks. Don't get discouraged!
  • AtlasxMedic
    Options
    I buy my chicken and fish portioned out, so the butcher weighs it for me. Veggies and sauces are measure by cup and teaspoons respectively. This exercise regime is new in the sense that I’m more consistent. That’s the most frustrating part. I’m more dedicated and pushing harder, but that number keeps climbing. When I didn’t pay attention to my diet and worked out 1-2x per week I stayed the same weight for months. Only 3 years ago I was in the Army running sub 7-min miles and I weighed 140lbs. So that’s why I came here, to figure out where I can improve and what’s realistic because I’m lost at this point.
  • bugbog
    bugbog Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    5 weeks lost 6.5 nearly half a stone,this week Saturday the 27th I stayed same 16 stone 3 and half so ok.Quite happy stayed same better than gaining.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    @AtlasxMedic agree w/ others, use a food scale and weigh by the gram, log all ingredients like oils when making recipes. Log beverages. There must be hidden calories somewhere.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I cannot tell in your picture. Are you female or male? That makes a difference in your start weight. I also wonder about your mfp equation in your goal settings.

Are you at your correct activity settings? Do you do cheat days and not record them.

Something seems missing or awry in your tracking food, excercise or both.

You are doing Keto? How are you feeling health wise? I hope you find your answers.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    How many calories per day are you eating and how are you measuring those calories?

On my lowest days I have about 1200, and on my highest about 1500. I researched the calorie values on the vegetables I eat, as well as chicken/fish and eggs. If I use a sauce or anything I use the label and serving size to determine the calories.
    Seems extremely low calories for a male. Where did you get this amount of daily calories to eat? Did you input your stats into MFP when you started? With that much activity seems your daily cals would be higher. Unless you're very short?

I think your food choices sound great as well as your activities! Great job on those!! :smiley:
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don’t have a Fitbit but 1600 seems high to account for activity or is that your total daily calories? Maybe check to see if it calibrated right?
  • AtlasxMedic
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! MFT wants me at 1700 calories a day. I marked myself as light activity because when I’m off of work I spend my 1.5-2hrs at the gym and then relax at home.

@Hearts_2015 I didn’t use an equation for my calories. When I started to clean up my diet, I based it off of needing more veggies and lots of protein. In all honesty, I started eating these foods and then calculated the calories. I obtained the calorie values from documents my previous nutritionist gave me. I do stand at a whole 5’6” though so that could be why I don’t feel like I’m starving at these lower numbers.

@smnovosad1 I appreciate your kind words. I never really thought about water weight until posting this, so maybe I should be less hard on myself.

@1houndgal Lol I am male (I need a better picture haha). As for cheat meals: I allow myself to have one occasionally, and what ends up happening is I eat fewer meals that day. For instance, I went out to lunch this week. My meal was around 800-1000 calories. My breakfast that day had been 350 calories. I ended up not having a protein shake that day, and for dinner I limited myself to 250 calories bringing my day to 1600.

@orangegato I will definitely try that out. I’m being told my chicken is all 4 oz, but I’m not verifying. However, would that account for so much weight gain?
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    megs_1985 wrote: »
    I don’t have a Fitbit but 1600 seems high to account for activity or is that your total daily calories? Maybe check to see if it calibrated right?

I wondered this too - is the 1600 to 2100 your whole calorie burn for the day or just the additional calories sent over to MFP?