Former WW~ trying MFP

Options
Hello! I've been thinking about joining a weight loss program and was looking at WW again. But after reading some of the blogs on here, I decided to try counting calories. I also started running 9 weeks ago and that has helped speed up my metabolism. But it has also made it more obvious that I'm carrying extra baggage. I could run faster and easier with 50lbs less of flesh. I've been doing the couch to 5k running program and would love to hear from other C25K'ers.

Replies

• krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have done WW a few times and LOVE IT. But I also have success with counting calories, etc. And MFP is much cheaper... haha. I am also doing C25K, finishing up week 1 today! :)
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Just ran my first 5k earlier this year, but have swapped for biking for the time being (Riding in an MS150). I too have done sWW, South Beach, amongst others. This totally fits in with my analytical side. Feel free to send a friend request.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I start week 4 of the C25K program. I'm loving it, and as a very big girl, it has totally been doable. I can't wait until I can actually run a mile! Then two... then three! Three weeks and I'm up to a half mile, so I feel pretty good about that. =)

I also did WW in the past, and I love MFP better. For one, you count all your calories rather than changing calories over to points and then counting points. Seems silly to do extra math when I don't have to! :tongue:

I also love this community. I did do the WW online thing, but I find this community much more diverse, and sooooooo encouraging and helpful. When I went to the WW meetings, it was sorta like I imagine AA to be- anonymous. But on here, I've gotten to know a few people, and I meet with them every single day in a format that works well for everyone's time schedule (since we don't have to show up at the local church at 5 on Thursdays... or whenever/wherever.) Couldn't hurt to give MFP a try... FREE is a pretty great incentive! :laugh:
  • DRJJ2004
    DRJJ2004 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I was doing WW as well. I've done it so many times and I'm not sure if it was just getting old or what, but I was going nowhere. So I saw that a friend had joined MFP and I thought I'd give it a try. LOVE IT!!! I've also done couch to 5K. I finished it and ran my first 5K and decided it wasn't for me. I'd rather go to the gym. But different strokes for different folks!! :O) Good Luck to you!!
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have also tried both and have come to a conclusion that mfp is free and that is great! Also i found support on this mfp is better. Good luck!!
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    welcome! i had success with w.w. and my husband has lost over 200lbs with it. the program may not be for everyone. good luck to u
  • suekenneypfalzer
    Options
    Welcome! I'm fairly new as well - feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.

I did the C25K program about 2.5 years ago and after a year I was able to complete a half marathon! (even if it did take a really really long time!) Now I'm trying to build back up to that level again.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hey! Former WWer here too. There's nothing really wrong with it. When I was doing it though I drove 30 miles one way to a meeting because the meeting in my town was awful; and I live in a small town so everyone knows your bidness.... If ya get my drift. Then I got my iPod touch and d/l the MFP app and fiddled with it a little but tried WW online. Meh. So now this week I decided, "Hey, this is free, what is it going to hurt?!" I like the community here, I stumbled on some info about eating lower carb. Yeah I probably would have found this info out eventually if I was doing WW, and who knows, I may never have here. But I digress. For some reason this does seem easier. Yes I've only done this for 5 days or so, and in order to develope a habit I need to do it for 21... Learned that in WW! But, so far so good. So welcome, feel free to friend me. I have had success on WW btw I don't want it to sound like it's bad, because it's not, I learned a lot of valuable lessons from WW. Good luck on your journey. For me it's a daily thing, and there are times when it's a minute by minute thing.
  • beckyslife
    Options
    Hi! I'm a former WWer too. I opted for this instead because I prefer an online forum and WW was just too expensive. I just joined here today, but I find it very motivating. Some great success stories. I'm also on week 9 of C25K. I'm very slow (almost embarassingly!), but am jogging for 30 minutes now--something I never thought I would be able to do. I just keep thinking, "at least I'm not sitting on the couch". This is my 2nd attempt at doing it, and this time my sister is joining me, so I'm much more successful. There's something about having a partner that makes it better! II've got 30 lbs to lose and feel like I could improve my speed if I didn't have all of that shaking when I'm running! :) That's my goal here. I don't have aspirations to be a marathon runner or anything like that. Just want to meet this goal and keep myself motivated. Good luck with your C25K and your weight loss goals. It's tough but I think we'll both find that it's totally worth it!