Popcorn Lovers

Options
When I research nutritional info for one cup of stove popped yellow popcorn I get so many different results. It varies widely in the MFP database too. Has anyone found a valid result? I’m thinking of making my own entry kind of based on the average of all the info I found.....logging it as 40 calories per one cup. Thoughts anyone?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Weigh and log the ingredients you use (oil, kernals, butter) as individual items or use the recipe builder.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I weigh out 200 grams of kernels and found the entry that is correct regarding usda. Then I put 200 grams popcorn kernels usda verified in the recipe builder. Then I weighed the popped corn in grams. 740 (example) and entered 740 servings. That way I can weigh out 50 grams or whatever and enter that as 50 servings. I don’t use oil, I just dry pop it on the stovetop and use the 0 calorie butter spray and salt.
  • kemoon0915
    kemoon0915 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I usually just log 3/4 a tablespoon of kernels and use 1 tablespoon knowing that all won't pop in the air popper.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I weigh the kernels before cooking, and add the oil separately. It's really easy. I have this microwave popper, I put it on the scale, zero, add as many grams of popcorn as I want (usually 40-50 grams), zero, add the oil. It takes only a fraction of a second to glance at the number on the scale.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I weigh the kernels before cooking, and add the oil separately. It's really easy. I have this microwave popper, I put it on the scale, zero, add as many grams of popcorn as I want (usually 40-50 grams), zero, add the oil. It takes only a fraction of a second to glance at the number on the scale.

This is also what I do. I love it because it takes the guesswork out. I usually put about 5 grams of oil (I like as close to air popped as possible) and about 60 to 70 grams of umpopped kernels, and it's a great snack for under 200 calories!