Logging you crossfit

Options
Anybody else on here do CrossFit how do you log it into your Fitbit it doesn't show any of the exercises on there?

Replies

• joycescudder
    joycescudder Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hey Joyce,

Crossfit is, by design, constantly varied. No two workouts, besides benchmarks and HERO WODs, will be the same. Some WODs throw around weight, others are more gymnastics based, some have some distance running, and some have built in rest. There are workouts that should be paced and others, like AMRAPs, which are non stop balls-to-the-Wall effort. As a result, you’ll never be able to create a formula that accurately tracks how many calories you’ll burn on any given day.

What I do, and what I’ve seen others have success with, is assign a Calorie number per minute that they are comfortable with - less if you are trying to lose. So someone in a cut would only calculate maybe 3-5 calories per minute do they don’t overestimate caloric burn.

I’ve seen anecdotal evidence that men doing “Cindy” burn an average of 13 calories a minute - but that’s a body weight only workout, and we don’t know the METS of the athletes involved, etc. it’s also only one study.

I personally wouldn’t trust a heart rate monitor for this. They are great for traditional cardio, but I would argue they are not well suited for CrossFit. However, I’m sure someone else will argue they are...
  • jodymaryk
    jodymaryk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Crossfit for 5+ years and struggled with how to enter the exercise on MFP. Now, I don't enter my exercise at all except in the 'Food Notes' section as I find if I do, I just end up eating those extra calories. I have my macros set at 40c/30f/30p (clean/almost Paleo diet) as right now I am trying to lean out a bit and my base calories at 1430 (55 y.o. female at 163#). On days I do Crossfit and/or weightlifting, I know I have a little wiggle room with those numbers but try to stay close. On rest days, I try to stay under the calorie total by a bit. It seems to be working and I feel great.

Glad you joined Crossfit! It has changed my life!