Crossfit and keto

Options
I’m a crossfit junky and am new to keto. Trying to support my wife on her keto journey and am looking for anybody else who is trying to cut and build muscle. Add me and let’s chat ✌

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to cut.... Or build muscle?
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Cut and build muscles & keto is not going to give you optimal results unfortunately. Unless you're new to lifting and/or obese, on recomp or on gear or just have freak genetics, building muscles at a deficit will be almost impossible. Keto isn't also optimal for gym performance either, many studies show it, but I suppose a happy wife, makes a happy life. Good luck in your journey.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    1) Crossfit isn't an optimal workout modality for hypertrophy (muscle gain).

2) Keto isn't an optimal diet for hypertrophy (nor for workout performance).

3) The circumstances under which you can simultaneously cut and build muscle are very limited, and the combination of crossfit and keto will likely make them even more so.

This^ and

This
    This doesn't sound like a good combo..
  • bielik316
    bielik316 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’m not really trying to build muscle I’m wanting to just cut and stay fit and put on a little weight if possible. Thanks for all the info so far.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bielik316 wrote: »
    I’m not really trying to build muscle I’m wanting to just cut and stay fit and put on a little weight if possible. Thanks for all the info so far.

Maybe it was a typo, are you trying to put on weight (bulk) or cut weight (cut)? Also, I would recommend at least loading your carbs around your workouts.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    am looking for anybody else who is trying to cut and build muscle.

A little contradictory judging from your initial comments, but at least you know now that doing both is extremely difficult (not impossible, but only very few people can achieve it naturally).

I also agree with psuLemon when it comes to carbs, if your body responds well to lifting and doing keto, all power to you, but it's not usually a common thing.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Wanna be able to do the explosive movements? Then carbs are your friend. ;)

Try keto, if you can recover, get better and go faster on low carb diet then enjoy it but most of us need carbs to be able to do the wods.

I definitely agree, although I thought low carb and Keto were a big thing in the CrossFit community, since you are in a better position to know, is that true or am I mistaken?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2018
    Options

Try keto, if you can recover, get better and go faster on low carb diet then enjoy it but most of us need carbs to be able to do the wods.

I definitely agree, although I thought low carb and Keto were a big thing in the CrossFit community, since you are in a better position to know, is that true or am I mistaken?

Paleo is the big thing in the community. And the original paleo did not restrict carbs. Just lots of good and healthy foods.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Paleo is the big thing in the community. And the original paleo did not restrict carbs. Just lots of good and healthy foods.

True, but it's become equated with low carb. Seems most who follow it believe it's supposed to be low carb even though that was never in the original ideas by Loren and from my understanding he has denied it ever was intended to be.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Paleo, zone... RPstrength are kinda popular nutritionist within the community as well and they make you eat alot of carbs.

So, higher carb paleo and not really keto, thanks.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

Paleo, zone... RPstrength are kinda popular nutritionist within the community as well and they make you eat alot of carbs.

Yup, Zone is actually what's usually Rxed for CF.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Interesting because I thought Zone had basically faded away. I haven't heard about it in years. Thanks.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Mhm. Many do 40% carbs 30% fat 30% protein. It's not high in carbs but enough for most normal people who do crossfit.

That's actually pretty similar to my natural split. I don't really aim for a split but I'm usually running around that for a week average last time I logged rigorously.

Thanks.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options

Have you tried it? I hated the blocks system

Years ago, with my ex, we tried it. Apparently, although not well explained, the Zone is supposed to refer to the optimal insulin release zone. Yeah, I found it too restrictive but some of the meals were good. The problem with all diets like that is they are designed like a construction kit and can be very restrictive for many. I prefer to just free form looking mostly to fill up mins on protein and fats. After that I just ensure I eat a varied diet to get my micros etc.

How long did you try it for? Are you doing something like IIFYM or similar right now or a more free form diet?