The older you get the harder it becomes!

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,985 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP at 50+, because I was started to see blood sugar, BP, and cholesterol numbers that were concerning, and I lost 30 lbs in a bit under four months, by which time my health indicators improved. Since that was my main motivation, I set my weight at that point as a ceiling and focused more on maintenance than losing more. I've maintained for over four years.

I've found it easier and more effective to lose and maintain loss in my 50s counting calories than any "diet" I tried in earlier decades (including trying to count calories in the pre-Internet days, when you had to try to look things up in books if they didn't have a label, and track everything manually).

As for "fat-burning exercise" anything -- any exercise, any movement, any reduction in caloric intake -- that puts you at a moderate deficit is "fat-burning," especially if you get adequate protein and do some resistance training, so that your body gets the message and has the materials to maintain muscles. Exercise that pushes you into an extreme deficit tends to outpace your body's ability to fuel the deficit from fat, and it will be forced to break down lean mass (muscle and, in extreme cases, organs) to make up the additional deficit.

• bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Panda8ach wrote: »
    i'll be 52 this year, and have been losing for about 23months now, started at 456lbs though and have lost 168lbs in that time (average about 1.8lbs a week) i'm 288lbs now and it seems to have slowed down a bit, but the truth is its a long term proposition.... if you think it took 50yrs to put it on so aiming to lose it over 3 to 4 yrs is pretty good going.
    i walk the beach most days, and do HIIT on a crosstrainer (only about 5 to10 mins every couple of days) i lift light weights as i have arthritis, but eat as little processed food as possible and watch the CICO.
    i believe the lighter you get the slower it gets, but you could exercise with a weighted vest on, or go for a walk with a heavy back pack....good luck
    and weigh yourself once a month so you'll only be dissapointed 12 times a yr!!! :D

Congratulations on your 168lb loss!! Epic :#<3

Thank you :)
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I am just starting with myfitnesspal, I am a weight watcher and have used that app for years, I can't find a spot for adding steps in my work out section. And I agree with Louisafurley, boy o boy in my mid 50s and can't get under 200lbs~

If you would like to chart your steps walked on a daily basis, you can add steps as a measurement to track in your account.

PS .. If you take a walk and count those steps, you can log walking for the length of time you walked, but the step count is something that you would need to create as a custom exercise that you might call "Pedometer", or "steps" ...
  • jeanona
    jeanona Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    As with so many others here, not in my experience.

I'm 46 and lost around 60 lbs of post pregnancy weight about 12 years ago. Since then, I've been more or less maintaining up/down 10 lbs from goal weight (120 - 130 lbs). I gain because of binging issues but physically, I find dropping back to goal weight now just as easy as it was when I was 34. I may be one of the lucky ones with good health, no hormonal issues and it's simply a matter of CICO in that whether I fill my days eating "healthily" or "sugar junk", I find no real difference in speed of loss and no real difference in TDEE either (if there is, it'd be so small that it doesn't really affect me physically). Mentally though, I can say it's tougher because I don't have the same motivation to drop weight as I did during my 30s.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I feel like in my 50's it all started to make sense and I finally understood how to lose weight. So it is hard and I wish that I done this long ago, but I also don't find it overly difficult. If you are finding it difficult maybe your goals are too drastic?