HORRENDOUS Keto bulletproof coffee

Options
So for years I've known about this bulletproof coffee business but never dared to try it. After a few (million) videos, articles and blogs of everyone raving about not only the benefits but how DELICIOUS it is I got super excited.

So I have the blender I have the coffee the coconut oil and the butter. I follow the spoonful of this and that.

IT WAS SO DISGUSTING I had to hold back not to vomit and tried so hard to like it. I tried little sips big sips but no...

How do u guys do it that swear by it and love it? I really don't wanna buy the coffee and ingredients from the bulletproof coffee franchise

Replies

• sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm sure there are plenty of things that you like that make others queazy at the thought of even being in the same room with.

Not sure where you stand on hazelnut, but a lot of people love the stuff. Personally, the smell alone makes me want to blow chunks. Different strokes for different folks.

The keto coffee itself kept me from eating between meals. It did a great job with that. I'm assuming from your picture that you're not trying to take off weight. So why drink it at all? If you're trying to add a few pounds there are all kinds of other ways to get more calories in your diet.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    sgtx81 wrote: »
    I'm sure there are plenty of things that you like that make others queazy at the thought of even being in the same room with.

Not sure where you stand on hazelnut, but a lot of people love the stuff. Personally, the smell alone makes me want to blow chunks. Different strokes for different folks.

The keto coffee itself kept me from eating between meals. It did a great job with that. I'm assuming from your picture that you're not trying to take off weight. So why drink it at all? If you're trying to add a few pounds there are all kinds of other ways to get more calories in your diet.

^^This. People like different things. If you're used to drinking your coffee sweet, unsweetened coffee of any kind (keto or not) is probably not going to taste good to you.

I used to drink my coffee unsweetened, but with a small amount of milk, cream, or unsweetened nondairy (nut/soy etc.) milk. These days, I mostly drink it black, and only add milk to cover up "bad" coffee (if I buy it away from the house) -- too weak, over-roasted, etc. I can't stand sweetened coffee. It tastes vile to me. I'd rather have salt in my coffee.

I've never tried bulletproof coffee because I expect I wouldn't like it for the same reason I don't like the non-dairy powdered or liquid "creamers" that contain vegetable oils -- for some reason, they don't fully mix into the coffee, and you're left with this (to me) unappetizing "oil slick" on the surface of your coffee. Really, the only oil I want in my coffee is the oil from the coffee beans.

I've given up trying to figure out how people can stand sweetened coffee or oil floating on top of their coffee, and you probably should do the same about bulletproof coffee. It's not for you, and there's no accounting for differences in taste (well, actually, sometimes there is a genetic difference that seems to explain some taste preferences, like cilantro, or bitter flavors, but other than satisfying scientific curiosity, that doesn't really get you anywhere).
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I tasted it once. I eat low fat so I thought it tasted good. Maybe I should go keto.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Sounds disgusting to me, but I don't know like coffee anyhow.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I got one pre-made at Whole Foods. Not a fan, and it was 220 cals
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    There's no role to say you need to drink it. If you don't like it, don't drink it, easy. I think it sounds foul.
  • kathskelly53
    kathskelly53 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just watched a programme busting food myths, one was this coffee said it came in at 500 calories. That put me off straight away
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get mysterious woos all the time. Maybe it's someone who misread the post or actually thinks it's woo-like, but I think it makes more sense to (1) realize it happens to everyone so is not some "MFP vs. me" thing, and (2) maybe assume someone thought it was a positive or meant to hit like (or hug, LOL).
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I'm keto and I actually like the bulletproof coffee (more so with MCT oil than coconut because I'm not nuts about tasting coconut). I think it tastes good at any rate but it's more calories than I usually want for breakfast and I'm lazy. So I just make coffee with a splash of heavy cream in the mornings. Most people who drink it do so because they like it and/or it keeps them full or gives them energy. If you aren't seeing any positives to it then I wouldn't give it another thought.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    The few times I've had bulletproof coffee it has kept me full. However I cut it out after I realized the coffee was adding too many calories to my day. (although it kept me full I dont normally eat breakfast so I was adding an extra 200-300 calories where it was 0 before.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    If you want to add fat to your coffee try heavy cream or half and half. I have no idea where these ideas like butter or coconut oil in coffee came from. That does not sound tasty to me, and is not in any way more healthy. It's all mostly saturated fat.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to drink my calories they'll be alcoholic.

FOR. THE. WIN.