Need a new way of looking at this.

Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I found that finding the right foods to eat can help, and I’d say that snacking on those foods and drinking a glass of water without sitting down to a meal is a good habit.
    Think frozen, microwaveable meats, and fruits and vegetables. Make quick, pack quick, and eat quick. Don’t forget water helps with food digestion, so drink plenty of it
    Hm, this is the exact opposite of what is usually considered healthy habits and mindset - make food a priority, work up an appetite, cook at home, eat regular meals, sit down to eat, enjoy your food, no foods are in themselves "right" or "wrong" (just dosage and frequency).
  • CourtneyUT
    CourtneyUT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    This is why I don't have a food scale, it can get obsessive. I look at it like a game, weigh twice a week and take measurements. You don't have to do this for the rest of your life.

My advice would be the exact opposite of this.
    1) get and use a food scale
    2) weigh daily
    3) you DO have to do this the rest of your life

I’ve lost 85# and kept it off for over a year by following the above.

So many people think they just have to count calories till they reach goal - no wonder so many people regain. That's part of why I'm waffling - I know I need to do this for the rest of my life and it feels like a big pill to swallow. But looking at it day by day makes it easier.

Thanks for your advice and congrats on the weight loss and especially the maintaining!
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    CourtneyUT wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    This is why I don't have a food scale, it can get obsessive. I look at it like a game, weigh twice a week and take measurements. You don't have to do this for the rest of your life.

My advice would be the exact opposite of this.
    1) get and use a food scale
    2) weigh daily
    3) you DO have to do this the rest of your life

I’ve lost 85# and kept it off for over a year by following the above.

So many people think they just have to count calories till they reach goal - no wonder so many people regain. That's part of why I'm waffling - I know I need to do this for the rest of my life and it feels like a big pill to swallow. But looking at it day by day makes it easier.

Thanks for your advice and congrats on the weight loss and especially the maintaining!

1. I had a plateau for a bit but I am now losing weight again without a food scale so I don't have one.
    2. Weighing daily could make you crazy with all the fluctuations
    3. So you will die if this site ceases to exist?!? Come on now, no one said I will stop right when I get to goal but I know how many calories I'm supposed to eat and I've been doing this for 63 days, I figure once I'm doing it for a year or more, I will learn how much I need to eat to go forward. I am only cooking for myself. Yes, there's a challenge when you cook for other people and maybe the OP has that challenge as well but I won't.
  • NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't know why weighing and measuring your food would be considered obsessive.
    I mean, when you make a recipe, that's what you do right?
    You measure quantities, and try to do so accurately, so that your food tastes how you want it to taste.
    This is just measuring quantities, so that your body looks and feels how you want it to look and feel.

I mean, you track your spending right? Maybe not every penny, but you keep a general awareness of your spending habits, and change them when necessary, and measure the impact of them right? You spend less when you realize you are spending too much. You check your bank account to make sure there is enough in there. No one thinks that's obsessive, I don't know why people think this would be obsessive.

You're right, alot of people don't track their calories. Alot of people are also miserable and struggle to lose weight.

Track what you are comfortable tracking. Watch the results. Did you lose what you thought you would? Good! You have some "intuitive eating" in you! Did you not? Then tighten up the tracking.

Tracking my calories takes about 10 minutes of my day. I spend about as much time brushing and flossing my teeth a day. If that's worth 10 minutes a day, isn't my whole body?

Good luck and I hope you find a solution that works for you!

• NoxeemaJackson
    NoxeemaJackson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Do your balance your finances to make sure you pay your bills and stay within your budget, rather than spend intuitively? It's just good sense to use the available tools to stay on track rather than to flounder for no good reason.

Calorie counting is just body care like brushing my teeth or washing my hair. If I have to be obsessive to stay in the normal BMI range, then that's a positive, useful obsession.

okay, weird, I just said all the same stuff, but in a very long winded way. I should have read your post first!