Cooking? Enjoy it or hate it?

Options

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

Unless you're rich and can afford a cook or eat out every night, I think it's best to make the most of it.

I'm always on the lookout for simpke but different recipes to try to make cooking ibteresting and I don't mind the food prep or cleanup.

It's part of the process but there are those days when I don't want to be bothrred and just boil a pack of instant ramen and thow some shrimp & veggies into the pot or just open a tin of sardines to eat w/some crackers.

Just depends on my mood.
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it. One thing I do hate is cooking for one. My boyfriend works nights so I usually cook 3-4 meals/week and we eat leftovers a lot. I like that with a little practice you can take recipes and make them your own fairly easily. That is also the reason I hate baking. :D

Fun side story, my mother cooked a hot meal 5-6 days a week when I was growing up. This was after spending all day teaching teenagers how to cook (she was a home ec teacher and as the sewing classes went away they got replaced with foods classes). When I was about 21 she finally told me that she hated cooking and only did it to set a good example for my sister and me.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have always liked cooking from a young age. I cook every day for my family. I like collecting recipes and trying new things somewhat. I think I am a good cook and it makes me happy to do it.
  • fuzzy_l0gic
    fuzzy_l0gic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love it. Mostly because I can cook my favorite restaurant food a little "cleaner". For example, my homemade Chicken Alferdo last night had about 500 calories less than Olive Garden.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    koslowkj wrote: »
    I enjoy it. One thing I do hate is cooking for one. My boyfriend works nights so I usually cook 3-4 meals/week and we eat leftovers a lot. I like that with a little practice you can take recipes and make them your own fairly easily. That is also the reason I hate baking. :D

Fun side story, my mother cooked a hot meal 5-6 days a week when I was growing up. This was after spending all day teaching teenagers how to cook (she was a home ec teacher and as the sewing classes went away they got replaced with foods classes). When I was about 21 she finally told me that she hated cooking and only did it to set a good example for my sister and me.

It is interesting that your mother hated cooking. My mother also cooked every day when I was a child but less after I was a teen. As an adult I came to understand that she didn't really like doing it most of the time. I don't know how my siblings feel about cooking.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I just started liking it with a instant pot....fast clean up!
    Otherwise its suckey if you work full time. Hate cooking cleanup :s
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Instant pot or I can eat toast and peanut butter.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Cooking to me is just a regular daily chore like housework. I don't enjoy it, it's just something that has to be done.
  • ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Love it. But it can get overwhelming if my work schedule doesn't keep with what I'm supposed to be working (I'm looking at you, 12 hour day and being shifted to closing). So I usually do 3 meals a wee that have 4-6 servings so I can pack leftovers for lunches or dinner another night.

Thankfully, Hubby is pretty open to trying things, which is good since I like to have a decent variety in what we're having.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I enjoy cooking (and baking) so much! I love playing with spices and seasonings and coming up with new flavors.

I love the sights, scents and playing with colors and textures.

I'm always browsing recipes sites and I checkout recipe books at the library. It's great putting my own spin on recipes.

I have a lot of kitchen appliances and tools, plus I'm a sucker for those informericals. :p

My dream is to grow everything I possibly can in my own backyard, but in the climate where I live that's not going to happen.

Tonight I made "Egg Roll in a Bowl" with a homemade sauce. It was amazing and very yummy!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I love cooking, I'm just a lazy kitten and don't do it much
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cooking, but sometimes I need a break from cooking 3 meals a day for one person. This past week, I just had to take a break and eat out some. I've been making breakfast smoothie for the last couple of days because it is just one less meal to cook. I got a bit burned out. Then there are the dishes. I have a dishwasher but so many gadgets and I end up having to load the d/w and also hand wash.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I don't like it much at all. I do it because I need to. When I have had roommates I never minded being the clean up crew instead of the cook.

I don't try new recipes much because if It does not turn out it was a waste of my time and money. I tend to cook the same things over and over.

I was once asked if I could take a pill for nourishment and never eat again in my life would I do it. I said hell yeah! I would not even need a kitchen or have to grocery shop! Imagine the spare time and room I would have!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Between cooking my own and not knowing who cooked mine, I'd rather cook my own.
  • PetiteHabanero
    PetiteHabanero Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I used to despise cooking, but as I get older and improve my nutrition I enjoy it more and more.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I hate it. Neither of my parents cooked when I was growing up so I thought it was normal to eat out every night. I'm trying to learn how to make some things so that my boyfriend and I don't eat out all the time too.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It depends. On days when I'm rushing home after work to put supper on the table for my family, I find it stressful and I hate it. I don't even want to eat what I've cooked. BUT on the weekend, when I'm not rushed and I have time to make something and take my time, I absolutely love it. Especially if I can have a glass of wine and some good music.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    It can be fun to cook for other people (hello Disco Potluck Night!), but for just myself I hate, Hate, HATE it. I batch cook once a week. No more, no less. Any other dietary needs can be fulfilled by Grubhub, it's just not worth the waste of time, patience, and groceries.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it. Plus it is the best way to ensure you know what's what in your food and take full responsibility for your diet. And, need it say it? "Do the creative work, or do the cleanup," LOL. Just kidding - I'm now retired, wife still working. The kitchen has become my domain, and I have the time to do a decent job at providing healthy, tasty nourishment for the family.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I love to cook.