karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    kazgorat1 wrote: »
    karahm78 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I don't either. What's the point in working out to assist with weight loss if you are just going to eat it all back? :smile:

Because you're set to lose without exercise, and while creating a larger deficit may sound appealing it isn't necessarily a good thing. Plus your body needs the additional fuel if you work out.

Meh. When I add up the calories burned from the weight lifting and cardio I do, it maybe comes out to 1,500/week, which won't even equate to 1/2 a pound of loss.

If you are at your ideal bodyweight, that's one thing, but when you are carrying around 35 lbs of excess fat like I am, your body can tap into those reserves for energy.

Good for you.

I run 20-25 miles a week. I'm fueling those.

Well, yes, if you are running 25 miles per week, you had better be fueling up. I see a lot of people who walk so many steps with their Fitbit and then think they should eat significantly more to compensate. Some people don't realize that if you are not getting your heart rate up to your target rate, you aren't burning a ton of calories.

I eat my Fitbit calories and still lose/maintain right on schedule.... getting calories from my Fitbit just means I've exceeded the activity level I selected in MFP.

Seems to be working for you, so no need to change :smile:

Just curious...how many calories does your Fitbit say you've burned that you eat back?

726 today.... however I have my settings as Sedentary, but I wasn’t today ;-)
  • ms_havisham
    ms_havisham Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I didn't start off eating my exercise calories, but then, my exercise routine was sporadic. I recently went to from that to a workout or 2 every day and was suddenly cranky and lightheaded, a bit nauseous and had no appetite. Since then I have worked really hard to eat the extra calories and feel better. Side benefit, I had hit a plateau and was making no progress, then suddenly after eating more the weight started coming off...like 4 pounds in a week. The low blood sugar was pretty obvious and made it impossible to function. As long as the weight keeps coming off I will assume I am logging accurately and eat the calories, if it stops I can always reevaluate. I'm a daily weigher because I have a medical condition and losing too much weight too quickly can be a sign it is flaring up again. One week is fine, but if I lose more than the 2 pounds for much longer I need to slow down.