Air Bike for Home Use

Options
Wanted to know if anyone had experiences with higher end home/gym fan style exercise bikes. I'm looking at an Air Assault, Schwinn Airdyne Pro or the new Rogue Echo bike.

My gym has an Air Assault and I have a love/hate relationship with it. The Pro and the Rogue bikes use a belt drive as opposed to a chain and are suppose to be quieter and lower maintenance.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Look into a gadget called a 'bike trainer', which lets you mount a real bicycle on it indoors and pedal to your heart's content. It's much cheaper than one of those noisy things.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Look into a gadget called a 'bike trainer', which lets you mount a real bicycle on it indoors and pedal to your heart's content. It's much cheaper than one of those noisy things.

I know what you're talking about. We have one in our house that one of the kids left and didn't have room in their new place. I have upper back/shoulder issues and want the arm motion as opposed to leaning over on a stationary handlebar.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The air bikes were a staple in gyms and rehab centers for years. They went out of fashion when elliptical cross trainers became popular.

I think they have some benefits. It’s a straightforward movement—very little skill required. The resistance is consistent and measurable. And the resistance range goes from almost zero to the high end of human capability, so it can be used by fit and unfit alike.

Downside is that there is only one movement you can do. And they can be noisy.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I have an air assault bike. I call it the death bike. I got mine from Rogue. I don’t know if I can answer any questions on noise level because I can rarely hear it over my own screams of pain and misery. I’ve not used any of the others to offer a comparison on the belt vs chain or anything else. Sorry.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. We have a membership to a well equipped gym so not worried about just the one movement as we have other options. Looking at bike as a home option for some HIIT training as well as some leisurely LSD work while watching TV. One of the things that intrigues me about belt drives (in addition to lower maintenance) is they are supposed to quieter (per reviews I've read. You still get the wind noise, but very limited mechanical noise.

• 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Yep I too have an Assault Air Bike, is it loud? Yes. I have it in my basement so I don't really care that its loud.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I bought the Air Dyne Pro for Christmas for our home gym as a present to ourselves. The wife absolutely loves it. I like it too but haven't been using it as much as I'd like (I'm putting in over 50K meters a week on the Concept2 rower currently, prepping for an indoor regional race).

I read gobs and gobs of reviews on the Air Dyne Pro, the Assault Bike and the Xebex Bike. Not familiar with the Rogue one you mentioned. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. They are KILLER workouts, though. Not for the faint of heart. Harder than anything in most gyms unless you belong to a CrossFit gym.

I can row a half marathon at a decent clip, but 20 minutes of intervals on the Air Dyne wipes me out if I'm going all out on the intervals. I can't wait till next week after my rowing race to spend more time on it. The Air Dyne has went from $1299 in the past two years to $899 on sale. That's what made my decision. It's the quietest of all of them. Sure, when you go all out, the fan makes some air noise, but not too crazy loud. The only thing I didn't like is that you absolutely need the "air diverter" on the Air Dyne (or at least we did in our cold basement). It's only $29 but it was a bit challenging to put on. Wish they had the option to buy it with one already installed. Don't want to get too long winded, but the fan cage guard was installed in the wrong places to put the Air Diverter on as easy as what it's supposed to according to the instructions. I had to figure out how to take off the factory installed wind blade guard screws and put them in the right location (something the factory did wrong). Other than that, it's a fantastic piece of equipment.

If you like monitors that show instructors, have fancy bells and whistles, this bike probably isn't for you. The dashboard has two preset interval workouts and a custom setting for intervals. You can toggle between calories, watts, MPH and RPM on the display for performance. Your have the ability to see a Watts needle at all times. Deceptively simple and sinister at the same time.

These aren't your grannies air bikes. You'd have to go really slow for your LSD on these things. I don't think I'm going all that hard on 30 second intervals and then I'm slowing down at 25 seconds because I can't sustain any longer. For LSDs, I'd consider something easier like a C2 Airbike.
  • Azdak
    Options
    I bought the Air Dyne Pro for Christmas for our home gym as a present to ourselves. The wife absolutely loves it. I like it too but haven't been using it as much as I'd like (I'm putting in over 50K meters a week on the Concept2 rower currently, prepping for an indoor regional race).

I read gobs and gobs of reviews on the Air Dyne Pro, the Assault Bike and the Xebex Bike. Not familiar with the Rogue one you mentioned. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. They are KILLER workouts, though. Not for the faint of heart. Harder than anything in most gyms unless you belong to a CrossFit gym.

I can row a half marathon at a decent clip, but 20 minutes of intervals on the Air Dyne wipes me out if I'm going all out on the intervals. I can't wait till next week after my rowing race to spend more time on it. The Air Dyne has went from $1299 in the past two years to $899 on sale. That's what made my decision. It's the quietest of all of them. Sure, when you go all out, the fan makes some air noise, but not too crazy loud. The only thing I didn't like is that you absolutely need the "air diverter" on the Air Dyne (or at least we did in our cold basement). It's only $29 but it was a bit challenging to put on. Wish they had the option to buy it with one already installed. Don't want to get too long winded, but the fan cage guard was installed in the wrong places to put the Air Diverter on as easy as what it's supposed to according to the instructions. I had to figure out how to take off the factory installed wind blade guard screws and put them in the right location (something the factory did wrong). Other than that, it's a fantastic piece of equipment.

If you like monitors that show instructors, have fancy bells and whistles, this bike probably isn't for you. The dashboard has two preset interval workouts and a custom setting for intervals. You can toggle between calories, watts, MPH and RPM on the display for performance. Your have the ability to see a Watts needle at all times. Deceptively simple and sinister at the same time.

These aren't your grannies air bikes. You'd have to go really slow for your LSD on these things. I don't think I'm going all that hard on 30 second intervals and then I'm slowing down at 25 seconds because I can't sustain any longer. For LSDs, I'd consider something easier like a C2 Airbike.

In terms of the basic resistance and science behind it, it actually is your grannies air bike. :) It was a good concept 25 years ago, it was just poorly made (required constant maintenance) and it fell out of favor because people thought it was old-fashioned. I’m glad they are making a comeback. They are excellent choices for interval work.
  • KarblessKreature
    KarblessKreature Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Looking at getting one also. Total body workout. Full body warm up, steady state and intervals. Can do it all it seems. Often called the devils bike, lol. Also good on off days no eccentric so no soreness the following day from what I understand. Can’t wait.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. Keep them coming.

From my research, the Airdyne Pro and the Rogue Echo both have a belt drive system which is supposed to be quieter and lower maintenance. The Rogue just came out late 12/17, but has been getting great reviews and has a great price point (about $150 less than an Airdyne Pro). I'm a bit leary getting a recent release, but anyone I've talked to says Rogue has excellent customer service and really backs what they sell.

Actually tried to order a Rogue. They were out of stock to had to sign up for an email notification as to when they would be in stock to order. I got a notification they were in stock, but when I tried to order they were gone 4.5 hours after I got the e-mail.
  • Azdak
    Options
    I am a little amused to hear terms like “devils bike”—30 years ago, we had 70 yr olds riding these bikes for 20 min a couple of months after a heart attack or bypass surgery.

Just goes to show it’s all how you use it.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    I am a little amused to hear terms like “devils bike”—30 years ago, we had 70 yr olds riding these bikes for 20 min a couple of months after a heart attack or bypass surgery.

I use mine almost exclusively for HIIT (although I’m almost afraid to use the term here-please nobody yell). It’s the worst like 12 minutes of my training. And half of that is rest lol. Sometimes it’s another round before I hit the cutoff and I curse my body for being so inspired that night.

I do also use it or my rower (at non death-defying levels of intensity) for a warmup for some other workouts. It’s not so bad then.

The bike was a Valentine’s Day gift....

• Packerjohn
    Options

As you say 30 year ago they were a rehab machine. From 20 years ago to maybe the last 2-3 you would see 1 or 2 beat up ones in hardcore gyms with one or 2 jacked guys riding them in sweatpants and hoodies. Now it's the hot thing.

I'm looking at one for the long haul Probably more short higher intensity stuff for now and hopefully a long time from now for rehab so I don't have to go to the clinic every day :).
  • Azdak
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

As you say 30 year ago they were a rehab machine. From 20 years ago to maybe the last 2-3 you would see 1 or 2 beat up ones in hardcore gyms with one or 2 jacked guys riding them in sweatpants and hoodies. Now it's the hot thing.

I'm looking at one for the long haul Probably more short higher intensity stuff for now and hopefully a long time from now for rehab so I don't have to go to the clinic every day :).

I hope the humor was evident in my last comment, and it wasn’t perceived as ridicule.

That’s a good concise history. The old AirDynes got to be old-fashioned and were maintenance nightmares at the end when the quality started going down. By the time some redesigned, more streamlined models started coming out, the ellipticals had already won the day—not to mention Schwinn pretty much imploded.

I always appreciated the simple movement and the accuracy of the workload measurement. It’s fun to see a good machine being rediscovered by a new generation.

But for me—it is kinda like seeing your kid come home all excited about hearing a Beatles album. :D
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    some video's on the current market options. I want the new Rogue bike!

https://youtu.be/RSrKrFmIWQg

https://youtu.be/5hEb6OELFR4

• Packerjohn
    Options
    some video's on the current market options. I want the new Rogue bike!

https://youtu.be/RSrKrFmIWQg

https://youtu.be/5hEb6OELFR4

Yep, that is the video I saw on the Rogue.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

I hope the humor was evident in my last comment, and it wasn’t perceived as ridicule.

That’s a good concise history. The old AirDynes got to be old-fashioned and were maintenance nightmares at the end when the quality started going down. By the time some redesigned, more streamlined models started coming out, the ellipticals had already won the day—not to mention Schwinn pretty much imploded.

I always appreciated the simple movement and the accuracy of the workload measurement. It’s fun to see a good machine being rediscovered by a new generation.

But for me—it is kinda like seeing your kid come home all excited about hearing a Beatles album. :D

Not at all.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options

Not at all.

My Mother in Law had the old fashioned Air Bike. It was a relic and OK for a nice, easy workout. The one I have now (the AirDyne Pro) can do around 1000 watts (if you have the ability to do that). I know what you're saying but the whole idea of these bikes is to get up to as high of watts on the interval spikes as you can. You'd be quite surprised at the difference having the mobile arms (and heavy commercial style construction) makes. I can only get up to around 600 watts. If I tried to do 600 watts on an old machine it would have been impossible first of all. Second, the thing would probably break apart. So while similar concepts, very different machines and purposes.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Rogue got the Echo back in stock and ordered one today. Will give a simple review when it comes in and I get it put together.