Halo top and erythritol

Options
Hi everyone! Halo top has come to the UK and I have fallen in love with the stuff. I feel like I can finally be satisfied with dessert rather than having a tiny tiny little piece of something. However I’ve been reading up on it and apparently the sweetener used for Halo Top is erythritol. A lot of studies are showing that it actually causes weight gain or fat gain. Is this true???? Why are they bursting my bubble! What is your take on it? Thanks

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The only study I saw was pretty awful.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5448202/
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »

That study is in reference to serum(blood) erythritol, not dietary.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »

That study is in reference to serum(blood) erythritol, not dietary.

The only interesting thing is that it seems that there is a metabolic pathway from dietary carb intake and the presence of erythritol thus it has a metabolic process that wasn't known. Considering that there was no attempt to study the caloric intake it would seem likely from the results that higher caloric intake leads to higher levels of erythritol and higher levels of fat increase. Hmm, do we prove water is wet now?
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    squeeeyk wrote: »
    IIRC, consuming erythritol has no effect on blood sugar levels and is excreted out of the body unchanged....theoretically making it one of the few artificial sweeteners that aren't necessarily terrible for you. Is that not correct?

There is no concrete evidence through lack of good quality study data. So I suppose it's neither bad nor good: We simply don't know enough. Because even if they don't affect blood sugar levels, we don't know if they affect other things: Organs, cells, blood, gut flora, whatever. Until we have conclusive proof through a number of larger studies, we cannot say that it isn't terrible for you.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    IIRC, consuming erythritol has no effect on blood sugar levels and is excreted out of the body unchanged....theoretically making it one of the few artificial sweeteners that aren't necessarily terrible for you. Is that not correct?

There is no concrete evidence through lack of good quality study data. So I suppose it's neither bad nor good: We simply don't know enough. Because even if they don't affect blood sugar levels, we don't know if they affect other things: Organs, cells, blood, gut flora, whatever. Until we have conclusive proof through a number of larger studies, we cannot say that it isn't terrible for you.

True, but also, we don't have evidence that this is an issue at this time. I don't ingest this type of sweetner, that I know of, but as it is still generally regarded as safe, and has to undergo certain studies just to get to were it is, I would think that we aren't going to see a lot of evidence that it's particularly harmful. All substances cause some harm to the body so there's that as well.
  • stanmann571
    Options

True, but also, we don't have evidence that this is an issue at this time. I don't ingest this type of sweetner, that I know of, but as it is still generally regarded as safe, and has to undergo certain studies just to get to were it is, I would think that we aren't going to see a lot of evidence that it's particularly harmful. All substances cause some harm to the body so there's that as well.

Exactly. As long as you don't experience the gastric side effects in normal dosages, you should be fine.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options

Exactly. As long as you don't experience the gastric side effects in normal dosages, you should be fine.

Well, most people do have some typical gastric side effects from sugar alcohols but I'll leave that to the imagination. ;)
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I love Halo Top! I am eating it not so much because of the calorie count as because I've successfully lowered my cholesterol by using MFP to track (and eat less) saturated fat. I agree with all of the people above who have referred to moderation being key. Plus, for me Halo Top is pricey enough that I have that added motivation to not eat too much of it!
  • tmaths
    tmaths Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I came in here thinking this was about the video game, and was excited. Now I'm dissapointed.. hah
  • stanmann571
    Options
    jsminer827 wrote: »
    I haven't read any long-term studies (in fairness, not sure it's possible given relative new-ness), but from personal experience erythritol is one of the few sugar alcohols that seem not to cause gas and bloating for me - a lot of lower calorie foods or those that are marketed as low carb use sugar alcohols in place of sugar to give the effect of sweetness without the calories and carbs. They're simply an alternative to the other, often maligned, low-calorie sweeteners on the market.

I love HaloTop - particularly the lemon cake flavor. Despite my love affair with ice cream, I don't consume it in vast quantities and I think moderation is the key to everything in life.

Without conflating the issues, I'm going to bring up aspartame... is it technically toxic? Sure, I think science has proven that... but despite my love of diet soda (which I don't drink anymore because the sweetness made me crave other sweets which was a definite contributor to my weight gain), there was never a day where I could have come close to consuming 20, 12-ounce cans which is the approximate amount required to put a 165 pound human over the limit. It's the same as eating something like 100 of those little aspartame packets - yikes.

Again, I think moderation is key. And if you aren't experiencing digestive upset, enjoy your HaloTop. Unless you have a medical condition, the proven cause for gaining weight in the long term is burning fewer calories than you consume.

I think it's closer to 200 cans or about 1 lb of powder.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I've been eating it regularly over a year and I haven't seen any weight gain from it. I also don't have any stomach issues with it either luckily.
  • soinbnsng
    soinbnsng Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20 pounds since October and I have multiple pints of Halo Top a week. Sooo Idk lol
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    jsminer827 wrote: »
    Without conflating the issues, I'm going to bring up aspartame... is it technically toxic? Sure, I think science has proven that...

Absolutely not true. See:

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/aspartame.html'

and:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/are-artificial-sweeteners-safe/

Don't let the fear mongers scare you.