C25k day 1... nearly killed me!

Options

Replies

• Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Okay... I'll wait a day and learn from experience of others as I'm in for the long haul. Would hate it if I gave up. Thanks all.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    But I will be going on my treadmill anyway to walk so I may aswell to c25k.

no, you may not 'as well' do c25k. you may 'as well' take a rest day.

you're throwing away the adaptation stimulus you just gave your body on the previous day. seriously, resting is there for a reason; it should actually be called a 'building' day. don't waste your build days :) your body needs them.

the other advice will be there tomorrow. for today, take the advice that is telling you to take the rest day.

*speaking as someone who has never become a runner, but who did try pretty hard a couple of times*

• greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The other observation that I'd make is that in the daily check in thread on the C25K support forum here you'll see fairly regularly people ignoring that advice.

There’s a C25K support forum here? How can I find it? I’ve been searching and searching both on this platform and the internet in general for a forum geared towards C25K users, and I keep coming up empty handed.

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

I think this is the active group.

You can find other groups here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/groups/browse/popular
    Just type C25K in the search field.
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The other observation that I'd make is that in the daily check in thread on the C25K support forum here you'll see fairly regularly people ignoring that advice.

There’s a C25K support forum here? How can I find it? I’ve been searching and searching both on this platform and the internet in general for a forum geared towards C25K users, and I keep coming up empty handed.

There is also a C25K subreddit you could check out.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on finishing your first day. Running is such an awesome activity for so many people. Are you able to go outside or run on an indoor track? I think starting a running program on a treadmill can be difficult because you are forced to go the speed you set and that hinders finding your natural pace.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Couple pointers.
    1. Make sure you can do 35-45 minutes walking before jumping in to C25K
    2. Make sure you get checked out for good shoes
    3. If you can possibly get outside, do so. It's emotionally/subjectively easier, since you're entirely setting your own pace, and objectively a bit harder, since you're dealing with wind, terrain, etc.
    4. Slow down. Then slow down. At the end of your run intervals(at least at the beginning) you should feel like you had a little bit more. That gets harder when your intervals pass 10 minutes, but you should still feel like you didn't have to stop.
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I embedded the good advice and reduced the running speed down to 6-6.3kph on day 2 and managed to finish the routine comfortably. Wasn't dying at all! The weather in UK right now is not great for running outside and I'm not sure I'm brave enough to run outside. Think it's a confidence thing being a beginner and it's also exposing.

The incline thing was great advice (did this on rest day to make walking more interesting) Really worked my buttocks and legs. Felt it when I got into bed as my body was aching but that means I'm working hard and my body is adjusting?

Feeling really energised by c25k and looking forward to day 3.

That is fanatastic news @Enthusiast84

Keep up the great work!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    A year ago it nearly killed me too, now I run for an hour at a time. Albeit VERY slowly, but I don't care ;-)
    I agree with everything already said....shoes are mega important, so are rest days (I usually walked on those just didn't run). For me though, after the first couple of weeks it was more of a mental issue than a physical one, I have found that my body can do a heck of a lot more than my brain thinks it can!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Felt it when I got into bed as my body was aching but that means I'm working hard and my body is adjusting?

Well, it likely does mean you worked hard, and did some damage - which a good workout will do.

As mentioned though - it's the rest for recovery and repair that allows rebuilding stronger and adjusting.

If the "rest-day" walking at a steep incline was a hard load on the muscles/tendons/ligaments - then where was the rest for them?

Especially here at the start, where this running is like a lifting workout to your body - would your body benefit from a normal lifting 48 hr rest.

Walking easy is fine - getting blood flow to damaged muscles is great. Putting another load on them - not so great.

You'll get to the point eventually where the damage done isn't as great, so the recovery time doesn't need to be so great.

But if not handled well now - your body will get the rest one way or another - and 6 weeks off because of an injury can feel devastating. And isn't at all unusual.

Keep up the enthusiasm though. It'll do you well during those aching times.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Aqualang26 wrote: »
    Yeah man, I can so relate. Coming from a place of ridiculously unfit, it's super hard. There is a pre-c25k program I found helpful. It's essentially a couple of weeks that start at 15 then 30 second intervals before the 1 minute.

Today is the last day of my second consecutive time through week 1 if C25k, and I might do it a third week depending on how tonight goes. (Its also my second time through the program as a whole.)

Don't push too hard! This is a restart for me after a partial tear to my patella tendon - a result of trying to push too much too soon and bad form.

People are right about not worrying about speed, but going overly slow can cause an unnatural gait - which contributed to my injury.

I was walking at 3.5-4.0 mph for 45-60 minutes for months before this and, honestly, that's probably better for me. I just want to be able to run, like really badly. Do keep in mind that long, brisk walks can be just as beneficial as a short, slow jog.

What is the name of the pre-C25K program and is it free? Also- anyone know of any free C25K apps that are good for iPhone? I started looking last night and they say free but then they want you to pay for the "rest of the program" or something. Surely there's a good free one out there right?
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    GAH! Take those rest days. I know its really hard, because running feels so good, but you will regret not resting when you are injured and have to sit out a week. Slooowwwww down and run on alternate days until you finish C25K. Your speed will gradually increase and you will stay injury free. :)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Aqualang26 wrote: »
    Yeah man, I can so relate. Coming from a place of ridiculously unfit, it's super hard. There is a pre-c25k program I found helpful. It's essentially a couple of weeks that start at 15 then 30 second intervals before the 1 minute.

Today is the last day of my second consecutive time through week 1 if C25k, and I might do it a third week depending on how tonight goes. (Its also my second time through the program as a whole.)

Don't push too hard! This is a restart for me after a partial tear to my patella tendon - a result of trying to push too much too soon and bad form.

People are right about not worrying about speed, but going overly slow can cause an unnatural gait - which contributed to my injury.

I was walking at 3.5-4.0 mph for 45-60 minutes for months before this and, honestly, that's probably better for me. I just want to be able to run, like really badly. Do keep in mind that long, brisk walks can be just as beneficial as a short, slow jog.

What is the name of the pre-C25K program and is it free? Also- anyone know of any free C25K apps that are good for iPhone? I started looking last night and they say free but then they want you to pay for the "rest of the program" or something. Surely there's a good free one out there right?

Zenlabs is free. There are addons that are pay. but the basic timer is free
  • wifey826
    wifey826 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started the program a while ago (in December), and regrettably, stopped. Several factors came into play:
    1. No gym membership, so training outside in the winter, and not being a seasoned runner= bad on the lungs. I hurt a lot.
    2. Whole darn family caught the flu, plus 2 or 3 other illnesses.
    3. Got even colder (below 0) and we had icy roads for over a week.
    4. Started a second job, and what little time I have at home, I want to spend it with my young kids, who hate seeing me leave anywhere without them. I only ran at night, but now, I can barely keep my eyes open to run after they are already in bed.
    5. Enough time has passed that I will now have to start over. I had only made it to week 3, and it felt IMPOSSIBLE to run any longer than those intervals.

My speed never topped 4mph. When I tried, I got side stiches and felt like I was going to die. That was the last run I did. :(

I had such high hopes for this. I'm really trying to stay upbeat, but now, I've passed the 9 week window, and the 5K I registered for is now less than 2 months away. I still plan to participate, but not as a runner.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I embedded the good advice and reduced the running speed down to 6-6.3kph on day 2 and managed to finish the routine comfortably. Wasn't dying at all! The weather in UK right now is not great for running outside and I'm not sure I'm brave enough to run outside. Think it's a confidence thing being a beginner and it's also exposing.

The incline thing was great advice (did this on rest day to make walking more interesting) Really worked my buttocks and legs. Felt it when I got into bed as my body was aching but that means I'm working hard and my body is adjusting?

Feeling really energised by c25k and looking forward to day 3.

Careful on the whole run outside thing. :)
    I did the C25K starting in Jan 2017 on the treadmill in my basement. Beat the poor thing to *puppy* as I was ~265 lbs. Started running outside in April. Now I hate the treadmill and only use it when outside is real bad (you know, Canada in January). Much rather run outside.

If you want to try outside, look for a local ParkRun. I know they are big in the UK and probably the most judgement free (and cost free) run you can try. 5K Saturday mornings.
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Think I'm getting over excited with exercise (it's addictive) but I need to take it a bit easier esp as I want this to be part of my lifestyle so the last I want is for this to feel a chore.

Just walked today and did a lot of it outside which was great as it brings fresh air and other benefits. Trying to get 10 thousands steps each day just so that I'm active and moving. This is working and I'm realising that it can be achieved lots of different ways. Was sedentary until recently!!!! :o
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. Repeat weeks if you need to. You'll get more fit. Seriously take it easy to avoid injuries. This is a long journey, just take it one workout at a time.