Weight lifting for women?

Options
Hello! I was wondering if anyone could guide me to some very good weight lifting/progressive loading routines that are suitable for women? I'm a college student with not much money to afford extras, and I don't really have one constant gym I can go to since I move from place to place a lot. So lifting at home would be most compatible with my life, but does home lifting/resistance moves even build muscle? Like I want to actually tear down and build back up my muscles, not just tone, so I don't know if that would be effective enough. I do have a gym at school but usually the guys are hoarding all the squat racks and to be honest I feel uncomfortable squatting near them. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Here is a list of programs, there are bodyweight and dumbell depending on what you have access to.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

You don't necessarily *need* a squat rack to do the programs if the rack isn't free. I workout at home, I do have some equipment but not everything. I don't have a rack so I sub-in different types of squats or movements and it has worked well for me.

But it depends on your goals. You say you don't want to "tone" do you mean you want to build muscle?

For example:
    If you want to "tone" you want to lose the fat covering your muscles - this will typically be eating at a calorie deficit
    If you want to build muscle and gain size/mass, you will want to bulk by eating in a surplus
    If you are happy with your weight and want to maintain to and lose fat and build muscle at the same time, you can eat at maintenance and "recomp" but keep in mind, this can take a lot of time and patience

What you do will depend on your stats, your bodyfat% and your physique goals.

With all of the above, you will want to follow one of the programs in the above link for best results.

• sahbomnimt
    sahbomnimt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :) Thank you for sharing
  • hayvensea97101
    hayvensea97101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Here is a list of programs, there are bodyweight and dumbell depending on what you have access to.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

You don't necessarily *need* a squat rack to do the programs if the rack isn't free. I workout at home, I do have some equipment but not everything. I don't have a rack so I sub-in different types of squats or movements and it has worked well for me.

But it depends on your goals. You say you don't want to "tone" do you mean you want to build muscle?

For example:
    If you want to "tone" you want to lose the fat covering your muscles - this will typically be eating at a calorie deficit
    If you want to build muscle and gain size/mass, you will want to bulk by eating in a surplus
    If you are happy with your weight and want to maintain to and lose fat and build muscle at the same time, you can eat at maintenance and "recomp" but keep in mind, this can take a lot of time and patience

What you do will depend on your stats, your bodyfat% and your physique goals.

With all of the above, you will want to follow one of the programs in the above link for best results.

Thank you so much! When you explain it I guess I do want to tone first. I want to lose weight by eating healthier but also not lose my muscle mass/firm up if possible. I'll definitely take a look at the routines linked. Thank you again!!
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love Stumptuous.com for advice... warning. She swears a lot.