Weird question: where can I find a scale outside my house?

Options
mortuseon_
mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
I don't keep a set of scales in my house because of a previous eating disorder, but now that I'm trying to lose a little weight again, I feel it would be useful to be able to weigh myself occasionally to track my progress.

Since I don't want to risk bringing scales into my home and introducing obsessive habits again, I was wondering if anyone in the UK knows if there's anywhere I can weigh myself out in the world?! I don't have a gym membership currently (££), but I know they sometimes have scales there...I was wondering about that kind of thing in other locations, if they even exist. Thanks!

Replies

• PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Could you borrow the scale of a friend or relative?
  • mortuseon_
    Options
    I have no friends or relatives nearby, haha! (Just moved up to Scotland from England).
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Sometimes health food stores but you have to pay at least a quarter.
    Doctor's Office
    Gym
    Weight Watchers Meeting
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    How often are you looking to weigh? If rarely you could just weigh in when you get a check up at the doctors. You could also get a tape measure and check your measurements once a month. No use measuring daily, since you won't see any difference, so maybe less potential to become obsessive.
  • cshern
    cshern Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sometimes drug stores (chemists) have them - the larger chains, if you have them there.

My goodness, you look so thin in your picture.

Anyway, I won't sabotage you by engaging on why you feel you need to lose weight. I would literally die to be as thin as you, which is probably the last thing I should be saying to you.

You could also simply track your measurements, since the app has that built into it.

Good luck :-)
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Drug store? Sometimes the blood pressure machine does weight as well..I know the one in my Wal-Mart pharmacy does.
  • mortuseon_
    edited January 2018
    Options
    cshern wrote: »
    Sometimes drug stores (chemists) have them - the larger chains, if you have them there.

My goodness, you look so thin in your picture.

Anyway, I won't sabotage you by engaging on why you feel you need to lose weight. I would literally die to be as thin as you, which is probably the last thing I should be saying to you.

You could also simply track your measurements, since the app has that built into it.

Good luck :-)

Photo is at my approximate goal weight, taken a few years ago. I'm not quite there yet ;)

Thanks all! That's a good idea to check the pharmacist - I wouldn't want to weigh more than once a month or so, so paid services are fine, within reason. I just searched this, and it looks like they MIGHT have one in one of the Boots stores locally. I'll have to search around to see if that's the case. I appreciate the help :)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Maybe an animal feed store?
    A vets office if you explain and bribe with doughnuts.....hmmmm
  • mortuseon_
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Maybe an animal feed store?
    A vets office if you explain and bribe with doughnuts.....hmmmm

LOL. "Excuse me, Dr, I need to check the weight of an exceptionally large heifer..."

(just kidding, of course)
  • juliamc183
    juliamc183 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of Boots stores have a set of scales you can pay to use, so it may be worth having a look in your local one. :)
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yes the vet clinic is a great idea, where my cat goes there is one right inside the door anyone is free to use.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,140 Member
    Options
    Here in the states (in FL), some grocery stores (Publix) have a scale near the door. Don't know if they do in the UK. Not sure why our grocery stores have them though...seems a little odd.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Walmart often does, as do several pharmacies.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I often see them in shopping centres, near the bathrooms. They can be up to a dollar to use. Pharmacies often have them.

Do remember that by virtue of weighing out of the house, you'll be adding clothing weight (unless you plan to get kicked out of Boots :D ), so don't freak out if its a few pounds higher than you'd expect.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Most large Boots stores have scales, maybe a local leisure centre.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Most boots and Tesco.
  • Roobyzooby
    Roobyzooby Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Boots the Chemist have them, usually ones that print out the weigh in result.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Do you have a physician that you saw for your treatment? Have you checked in with them lately? I'm assuming a physician's office has a scale, and it might be a good idea to check in with them about your weightloss/goals since you do have a history of ED. Also, it's a good idea to use the same scale consistently for tracking.
  • mortuseon_
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Do you have a physician that you saw for your treatment? Have you checked in with them lately? I'm assuming a physician's office has a scale, and it might be a good idea to check in with them about your weightloss/goals since you do have a history of ED. Also, it's a good idea to use the same scale consistently for tracking.

I'm not in contact with those doctors any more, have moved twice since then unfortunately. Since it's been a good few years since I've had a serious/sustained relapse, I'm pretty confident that I won't need to see a doctor, but I appreciate the suggestion. Had to do a lot of recovery by myself, so pretty sure they can't tell me anything I don't already know anyway...
  • obpyum
    obpyum Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Some of our grocery stores have large scales near the check out; you could check there!