Russian twist + tailbone

Options
azkabanned
azkabanned Posts: 79 Member
edited January 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Does anyone else’s tailbone feel like it’s digging into the mat and ground when doing Russian twists? Mine gets very uncomfortable, like there’s too much weight on that little point on the end of the tailbone when I get into that position and am wondering if I’m doing it wrong? After a couple it starts to hurt :(

Would they still be effective if I put a cushion under my bum?

Replies

• THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Yes. Form must be seen. Too far forward? Too far backwards? Hyper extension?

You can try the standing version RT with a weighted long bar braced as if you are going to do a landmine press.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    There are several ab moves that are just not comfortable to me because of my bone structure. I easily get rug burn and bruises down there. Sometimes it's form, but sometimes you just have to do a different exercise.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Agree with above about checking your form and position as a first step. If you can't find a way to do them then you need to find an alternative exercise. No sense torturing yourself for a single exercise that can be substituted.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan. I would just dump it altogether.
  • chrsmina
    chrsmina Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I agree with Azdak, dump it, besides you make your abs in the kitchen.
  • azkabanned
    Options
    Without having seen you do a Russian twist my first thought is that you're leaning to much backwards.

What happens if you change your position to a more upright one? And are you using weights or just body weight to perform the movement?

You could use a yoga mat but if you're chafing your tailbone cause of bad form the yoga mat or a cushion won't help.

Again, haven't seen you do the twist.. Just my first thought.

Yeah I’d be better off asking someone who can see. It’s just my body weight, no weights.

I do all my floor exercises on a yoga mat regardless, but it does nothing for my tailbone in a Russian twist because the tailbone protrudes so much when I lean even slightly back.

I also get the tailbone chaffing when I try to do a full sit-up :(
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    meowthhh wrote: »
    Without having seen you do a Russian twist my first thought is that you're leaning to much backwards.

What happens if you change your position to a more upright one? And are you using weights or just body weight to perform the movement?

You could use a yoga mat but if you're chafing your tailbone cause of bad form the yoga mat or a cushion won't help.

Yeah I’d be better off asking someone who can see. It’s just my body weight, no weights.

I do all my floor exercises on a yoga mat regardless, but it does nothing for my tailbone in a Russian twist because the tailbone protrudes so much when I lean even slightly back.

I think most people would recommend ditching those full sit-ups too. They aren't considered a great exercise to begin with. The only reason we did them in the military is to test for core strength. I don't think it was a great test for that either but hey, it's something that's easy to count.
  • azkabanned
    edited January 2018
    Options

I think most people would recommend ditching those full sit-ups too. They aren't considered a great exercise to begin with. The only reason we did them in the military is to test for core strength. I don't think it was a great test for that either but hey, it's something that's easy to count.

Interesting you say you guys used it as a test for core strength... I tried to use it to gauge my progress. I say “try” because I wanted to see IF I could do a full one after 2 weeks of almost-daily core exercise. I can’t lolololol (I can def see progress in a longer plank tho)..they are definitely not part of my routine.

I don’t have a gym membership for equipment access, so I do a lot of the exercising at home, and at “yoga sculpt” and “yoga barre” classes at the yoga studio where the core portion is basically the FitnessBlender core video. My teacher didn’t say there was anything wrong with my form but I’ll ask her specifically tomorrow.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I recommend you go look at AthleneX on YouTube, he has a lot of great core routines that you can look at for free. He has a ton of alternatives to situps etc that you really don't need.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Interesting you say you guys used it as a test for core strength... I tried to use it to gauge my progress. I say “try” because I wanted to see IF I could do a full one after 2 weeks of almost-daily core exercise. I can’t lolololol (I can def see progress in a longer plank tho)..they are definitely not part of my routine.

I don’t have a gym membership for equipment access, so I do a lot of the exercising at home, and at “yoga sculpt” and “yoga barre” classes at the yoga studio where the core portion is basically the FitnessBlender core video. My teacher didn’t say there was anything wrong with my form but I’ll ask her specifically tomorrow.

A better gauge of core strength is moving from a 4 point to a 3 point to a 2 point plank(high plank on hands and toes) And then adding various motions without compromising the plank.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

A better gauge of core strength is moving from a 4 point to a 3 point to a 2 point plank(high plank on hands and toes) And then adding various motions without compromising the plank.

Stay away from the testing, just stay away. ;)
  • azkabanned
    edited January 2018
    Options
    chrsmina wrote: »

Not trying to make abs lol, just don’t want to be sooooo weak anymore. I went to yoga for the first time almost 2 months ago and people who were 3x my weight and age could hold their planks easily and I was collapsing all over the place lol.
    And if my stomach and waist looks a little tighter in the process. Yayyyyy. I have about 10lb to lose overall in the kitchen (also 10lb till I’m considered to be at an underweight BMI).
  • azkabanned
    Options

I’ll keep that in mind but there’s no way I’d even be able to do that now lol. Baby stepppsss.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Not trying to make abs lol, just don’t want to be sooooo weak anymore. I went to yoga for the first time almost 2 months ago and people who were 3x my weight and age could hold their planks easily and I was collapsing all over the place lol.
    And if my stomach and waist looks a little tighter in the process. Yayyyyy. I have about 10lb to lose overall in the kitchen (also 10lb till I’m considered to be at an underweight BMI).

Honestly, besides large movements like Squat, Deadlift, OHP, etc moving into and out of various planks is going to be your biggest bang for the buck regarding core strength.

For that matter, learning to stand strongly will help your core. All of the following should be comfortable, not exaggerated. Shoulders down and back. Head tall, chin slightly down(eyes to horizon) glutes, back, abs firm but not tense... legs straight and heels driven into the ground.

Your plank should mirror a good standing position.
  • azkabanned
    Options

Honestly, besides large movements like Squat, Deadlift, OHP, etc moving into and out of various planks is going to be your biggest bang for the buck regarding core strength.

For that matter, learning to stand strongly will help your core. All of the following should be comfortable, not exaggerated. Shoulders down and back. Head tall, chin slightly down(eyes to horizon) glutes, back, abs firm but not tense... legs straight and heels driven into the ground.

Thanks for the tips! Yah I’ve heard a lot of people say different variations of planks are the best if you’re working with just body weight. I could barely hold a high plank for 2 secs without completely collapsing, but I found that the variation of crunches and other floor exercises helped with getting to a point where I could hold long enough to check form.

I’m always wearing at least 3 inch heels (5 days a week at least)... so that has really messed with my form standing.
  • Fitwithsci
    Fitwithsci Posts: 69 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I would shy away from such exercises because twisting of the spine particularly when loaded, can cause degeneration of the inter-vertebral discs, not fun. The primary function of the abdominal muscles is spinal stabilization, so I would recommend training them as such (planks, anti-rotation exercises, landmines etc. all with a neutral spine). A little flexion/extension/rotation here and there is ok, and probably necessary but in moderation. If you must do russian twists try doing it from a glute-ham machine. When set up properly, it should not apply pressure on your tailbone and will allow you to do the motion in varying degrees of flexion/extension, and will exert less force on the spine.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Thanks for the tips! Yah I’ve heard a lot of people say different variations of planks are the best if you’re working with just body weight. I could barely hold a high plank for 2 secs without completely collapsing, but I found that the variation of crunches and other floor exercises helped with getting to a point where I could hold long enough to check form.

I’m always wearing at least 3 inch heels (5 days a week at least)... so that has really messed with my form standing.

I wrote this some time back. It's still my advice

I prefer the High/low AKA front leaning rest(pushup-up/down) positions.

You can also practice the standing and laying variations.

In fact, you should start with the standing and laying variations.

standing... while barefoot(preferable but not obligatory) keep your feet flat and grab the ground with your toes, zipping the tension up through your calves, thighs, glutes, Abs/back(the tension in your abs is like that you would use to sit up, not like you would use to "suck in" the back/glute tension is just enough to balance your abs. through your chest and into your arms, bringing them either up to vertical or up with elbows bent and hands at shoulder height.

Laying... same thing but start with arms resting in "superman" and pulling them up under your shoulders as the zipper reaches them.

High, same as laying, but after zipping up your arms, allow the tension to raise you up while extending your arms fully... Recover by lowering to ground and revering the zipper.

Low, Come up to high, then Lower until arms are parallel to ground but no part of body is touching the ground. Recover either to high, or to laying.

Good hold times, Standing(30 seconds) laying(60 seconds) High(2-3 minutes) Low(30 seconds)

Recover before your form starts to break down and tension begins to cause shaking/quivering.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I also have a bony tailbone and got abraded there doing Russian twists. I took a couple weeks off and it went away. I can do them fine, now. I think they are great core exercises because they strengthen your obliques. Planks are fantastic, too.