Upper body strength exercises? Any tips?

Options
I used to have so much strength built up in my arms and legs because I used to lift dogs all day (I worked at a dog grooming salon, I wasn't just deadlifting dogs for the fun of it...lol). I haven't done that in years, though. Up until recently, I didn't notice that my strength has diminished significantly. It's hard for me to even pick up my cast iron skillet!

Does anyone have tips for upper body strength exercises? Maybe ones that don't require a machine? I'm not opposed to going to the gym but I have yet to find a decent one in my area.

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    What equipment do you have available to you? Are you interested in bodyweight, kettlebell, dumbbell or other home equipment? There are a lot of things we could definitely recommend but it would help to know a little bit more about your interests and what you would have access to if you aren't going to a gym.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    What equipment do you have available to you? Are you interested in bodyweight, kettlebell, dumbbell or other home equipment? There are a lot of things we could definitely recommend but it would help to know a little bit more about your interests and what you would have access to if you aren't going to a gym.

If you've got a variety of cast iron pans, you could probably adapt a club workout.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/03/18/an-introduction-to-indian-club-training/
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

If you've got a variety of cast iron pans, you could probably adapt a club workout.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/03/18/an-introduction-to-indian-club-training/

Oh, weighted clubs, there's some old school training I haven't done in years.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Without any idea of what you have to work with.

I’ll just suggest the best.

Bench press-anterior
    Pushups-anterior
    Overhead press-anterior/lateral
    Barbell rows-posterior
    Pull-ups-posterior
    Deadlifts-everything. Primarily posterior

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Popsugar fitness on youtube has lots of options. I did a quick search and found this one:

https://youtu.be/EBQq6Fuhzt0
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    Dumbbell bench presses, start out with lower weights to avoid injury. Push-ups, do them in a modified position. Probably get some bands and work with those as well.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    When I began, I use to use full laundry detergent bottles of various sizes; as dumbbells!
  • mamacita99
    mamacita99 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you have access to Youtube there are many workouts available - search "Functional". I like bands, and kettlebells, which don't take up any space unlike machines. A 20 min kettlebell workout will burn 450 calories when done right.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    mamacita99 wrote: »
    If you have access to Youtube there are many workouts available - search "Functional". I like bands, and kettlebells, which don't take up any space unlike machines. A 20 min kettlebell workout will burn 450 calories when done right.

No, it probably won't.

You might get to 200 or 250(equivalent to running) but that's about as good as it can get.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Why just upper body? It's usually best to follow a full-body program.

What equipment do you have?
  • lariel16
    lariel16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Why just upper body? It's usually best to follow a full-body program.

What equipment do you have?

I'm not opposed to a full body workout, but I have a lot of strength in my legs, just none in my arms. It's so bad I have a hard time lifting light boxes over my head when I'm putting stuff in the attic. And my cast iron skillets, which I use every day, will probably break soon because they're too heavy for me to lift and I'll drop them.

I have no equipment. I could get weights and stuff but no gym equipment; I don't think my floor will hold heavy stuff like that.
  • lariel16
    Options
    W8WarI wrote: »
    When I began, I use to use full laundry detergent bottles of various sizes; as dumbbells!

That's a great idea!
  • lariel16
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Without any idea of what you have to work with.

I’ll just suggest the best.

Bench press-anterior
    Pushups-anterior
    Overhead press-anterior/lateral
    Barbell rows-posterior
    Pull-ups-posterior
    Deadlifts-everything. Primarily posterior

I have no gym equipment whatsoever, but some people here are giving me great ideas with household products (detergent bottles, skillets, etc.). Thanks for the advice!
  • lariel16
    Options

I have no gym equipment and like I was telling someone else, I don't think my house could handle heavy gym machines. I like the idea of kettle balls and the like though!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    lariel16 wrote: »

I have no gym equipment and like I was telling someone else, I don't think my house could handle heavy gym machines. I like the idea of kettle balls and the like though!

You could probably benefit from a single 5lb kettlebell by the sounds of. Then as you gain strength you could move up.

• lariel16
    Options

You could probably benefit from a single 5lb kettlebell by the sounds of. Then as you gain strength you could move up.

Thank you! I'm going to look into this. :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Thank you! I'm going to look into this. :)

Look around YouTube for some good beginner workouts. The swings you could do with heavier weights but just get use to them at first. KBs are great for all over bodyworkouts with little equipement.
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with deadlifting dogs??
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    tinuz wrote: »
    whats wrong with deadlifting dogs??

Wait, that seem rather ambiguous and I'm confused. Are WE deadlifting the dogs, or are THE DOGS deadlifting? English is such an imprecise language. :grin: