frustrated

Options
2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    So you became overweight by eating less than 1200 calories for years and now you lose weight only by eating too much? If you don't agree with informed and helpful users like @TavistockToad then I would encourage you to ask your questions of the dieticians whom you trus and you feel are correct.
  • Being_DeDe33
    Being_DeDe33 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I changed my setting from 1200 to 1000 calories daily. Don't give up! I hate my stomach too, it is so stubborn. #keepmovingforward
    jdomal wrote: »
    I've been the same weight for two weeks. I measure. I don't have a sweet tooth and I have food allergies so I don't have the same urges for foods that other people seem to deal with. I do yoga, walking and lap swimming (training for swim a mile) and I'm adding weights this week. While I feel stronger, I don't see much difference in how my clothes fit. My belly seems just as big. My arms and legs have never been fat.

The biggest struggle I have is eating enough (please be kind). I'm just not used to eating so much food at 1200 calories seems like a lot of chewing.

• amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Like many others have said, weight training can retain a bit more water due to your body trying to heal itself and retaining water for those muscles. Also, walking, yoga and swimming may not lose as much weight as you think it would.

Also, it's been two weeks. Weight takes some time to come off. Weight only drops off within the first week or so because it's water weight. I wouldn't worry about it so much. But if you're considering adding in a lifting routine, I would suggest upping your calories. When I first started losing weight and weight training I used to eat 1,700 calories. I'm now at 1,450 and have been considering upping it again a little bit.
  • jdomal
    jdomal Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Food scale. Use it. Everything in your diary is a "piece" or a "half-cup", etc. I don't see many things weighed in grams

One thing that jumped out at me was a "small apple" and "4 slices of cheese". That could be anywhere from 185 calories (like you have), to several hundred calories. Weigh the apple in grams. Weigh the cheese in grams. At the very least, treat it as an experiment and see if you were right. If you were, then you have eliminated another variable. If you were not right, then you've found your answer (or one of them, at least).

Check out this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

i'm just using the mfp choice that best represents what I have in front of me. If the product/manufacturer is represented, I choose that. I have small apples. There are choices, with diameters listed, of small apples. I looked up calories and asked a friend who is a registered dietician. She said there not to worry about weighing apples since they average out and are a low calorie option. My doctor didn't want me worrying myself into a tizzy over each item since I'm only overweight, not obese, and it was my own personal desire to lose weight. As to the 4 slices of cheese: they are pre-sliced. They come in specific sizes, already sliced and the nutrition information is on the side of the package. Four slices is one serving for cheddar. I could convert it to grams but it isn't necessary unless I felt like doing math.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Those packages can be up to 20% off. Typically on the high side.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Food scale. Use it. Everything in your diary is a "piece" or a "half-cup", etc. I don't see many things weighed in grams

One thing that jumped out at me was a "small apple" and "4 slices of cheese". That could be anywhere from 185 calories (like you have), to several hundred calories. Weigh the apple in grams. Weigh the cheese in grams. At the very least, treat it as an experiment and see if you were right. If you were, then you have eliminated another variable. If you were not right, then you've found your answer (or one of them, at least).

Check out this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

i'm just using the mfp choice that best represents what I have in front of me. If the product/manufacturer is represented, I choose that. I have small apples. There are choices, with diameters listed, of small apples. I looked up calories and asked a friend who is a registered dietician. She said there not to worry about weighing apples since they average out and are a low calorie option. My doctor didn't want me worrying myself into a tizzy over each item since I'm only overweight, not obese, and it was my own personal desire to lose weight. As to the 4 slices of cheese: they are pre-sliced. They come in specific sizes, already sliced and the nutrition information is on the side of the package. Four slices is one serving for cheddar. I could convert it to grams but it isn't necessary unless I felt like doing math.

You could easily be eating 10-50% more if you are eyeballing for using measuring cups instead of weighing solids. So, you don't have to weight food, but then you also wont know exactly how many cals you are eating
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You changed your eating habits just 1 month ago. I did not see a change in my waist measurements for at least two months. Be patient. Good luck!
  • jdomal
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    So you became overweight by eating less than 1200 calories for years and now you lose weight only by eating too much? If you don't agree with informed and helpful users like @TavistockToad then I would encourage you to ask your questions of the dieticians whom you trus and you feel are correct.

that isn't what i said. Please re-read. I also said be kind since I was frustrated. I have been ill for a long time and I'm resuming normal activities after a very prolonged time away from fitness. I've never, ever had to count calories in my entire life. And yes, I gained weight from not eating enough, not eating often enough, being ill and medication. It happens more than people realize. I rarely feel hungry so it is a struggle to eat 1200 calories as my original post stated. I never said I ate too much. I'm not sure where that impression was formed. I did ask a question along the way asking for clarification about eating more if you exercise more since I'm not sure anymore what the correct answer is. It has become muddied.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Check out this thread.

Ok. Do it your way. (But your way isn’t working, right?)
  • jdomal
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    What are your goals?

Are you trying to lose weight? Or recomposition?

Lose weight, regain balance and fitness.