Got my CrossFit jump rope!

va1bqyxpeai9.jpeg

I got my first CrossFit jump rope in the mail today! I probably haven’t jumped rope since the 3rd grade, but I am looking forward to burning some calories!

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    What is a CrossFit jump rope and is it any different from a regular jump rope?
  • nadean1980
    nadean1980 Posts: 50 Member
    I am just learning but I do know that the CrossFit jump ropes are weighted (handles) and ropes are thicker to add more weight. Just creates extra resistance.
  • jennybearlv
    Does the extra resistance make the rope go slower so it's easier to jump?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    .... weighted jump ropes have been around for a while- still confused why this is a cross fit jump rope?

Also be careful with the weighted ropes- I wound up with shoulder issues from the weighted handles. #blameitoncrossfit
    just kidding
  • nadean1980
    Yup, the heavier it is the better a beginner can handle it.

This is an article I read that was helpful
    http://wodreview.com/equipment/best-jump-ropes-for-crossfit-what-to-look-for
  • nadean1980
    JoRocka wrote: »
    .... weighted jump ropes have been around for a while- still confused why this is a cross fit jump rope?

Also be careful with the weighted ropes- I wound up with shoulder issues from the weighted handles. #blameitoncrossfit
    just kidding

I guess bc it’s big in the CrossFit world? I am just learning..
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    nadean1980 wrote: »
    I am just learning but I do know that the CrossFit jump ropes are weighted (handles) and ropes are thicker to add more weight. Just creates extra resistance.

I've been doing CrossFit for 3 years and I only know one person who has a weighted rope. Most have some version of a speed rope.
    Jump ropes come in all sorts of styles and have since long before CrossFit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I know speed ropes are big for them- because of double unders- and a weighted rope is not as good for double unders as a speed rope.

Man they really got the market cornered on things that have been around for ages.
  • nadean1980
    rybo wrote: »

I've been doing CrossFit for 3 years and I only know one person who has a weighted rope. Most have some version of a speed rope.

Thank you! I’m learning so I don’t know much about it. Just that jumping rope works several muscles, and I like exercises that work all or a group of muscles at once!
  • jennybearlv
    Yup, the heavier it is the better a beginner can handle it.

This is an article I read that was helpful
    http://wodreview.com/equipment/best-jump-ropes-for-crossfit-what-to-look-for

Neat. I've never been good at jump rope. It's cool there are ways to slow it down.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    That's awesome! I just got my own rope recently too, and it really helps a lot. I couldn't do double unders with the ropes at the gym (I think part of that is that I am short and even the shortest ropes were a bit too long for me, mine was ordered in the right size), and can with mine! I know you just bought one, but just to help with learning, I would check out rxsmartgear.com some time. You can read about the different cable weights and things. A few of the people at my box that have been doing crossfit for awhile recommended them. I have the elite 2.6 cable and love it. One of the advanced girls at my gym has the hyper. Good luck and enjoy your new jump rope!
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    ZombieKillaPrincess Posts: 404 Member
    Yay!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    I have a love - hate relationship with jumping rope (hate from usually when is slaps me someplace) ;) It is a really good workout, one of those that makes you feel like you're a BOSS when you finish.

I have an interval timer that I use to do a 10 minute workout, start slow and build it up - enjoy!!!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    rybo wrote: »

Yup, I have a speed rope.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I know speed ropes are big for them- because of double unders- and a weighted rope is not as good for double unders as a speed rope.

Man they really got the market cornered on things that have been around for ages.

Love rope work, but I have the same type of weighted rope only it isn't branded. It's probably cheaper that way. It's for boxing and that's not getting extra fees. ;)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    What is a CrossFit jump rope and is it any different from a regular jump rope?

It's more expensive...

:)