Exercising everyday, some say it's bad some say it's not?

Options
This past month I have been working out more than normal. Previously I was going to the gym about 3 times a week and doing all strength training/lifting coupled with walking my dogs 2-3 miles a day. Also did yoga once a week or once every two weeks.

Recently started training for a half marathon so I am running 3 times a week, only lifting 2 times a week and now consistently doing yoga once a week and a Pure Barre class once a week.
So total of 7 workouts a week sometimes I run and do yoga or the gym in one day (like run in the morning, gym at night) and therefore get a full rest day, other times I have gone almost 2 weeks without a rest day. Still walking the dogs about 2-3 miles a day.

People have told me this is not good for your body as it needs to recover but I have also read that if you are using different muscles every workout then you are giving the other muscles time to recover. If I don't feel well or I feel fatigued then I wont force myself to but I like the habit of dedicating time to working out. And I also like the fact that I have a little more slack in my diet and have been able to eat a little more while still losing weight. But I don't want to do anything that would hinder muscle recover or growth.

Opinions?

Replies

• chrsmina
    chrsmina Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you feel fatigued take a day off. Regarding training for the half, you should take a rest day a week, especially if it is your first. Each day will feel progressively harder due to tiny bits of damage to the legs. Rest them.

Alternate lifting and running but do take at least one day of nothing to help your body.

• ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes, overtraining is bad. Some people only talk about overtraining as it relates to the frequency of workouts. Some break it down to the frequency of workouts for each muscle group.

In my opinion it is difficult to have an overtraining discussion just based on the frequency of workouts. To me, one needs consider the intensity of the workouts, factors which creates stress to the body outside of exercising, monitoring themselves for signs of overtraining. For example, I run 6 days a week and I did it weighing almost 250 lbs at one point. Almost everyone would say this is very dangerous. But, almost 18 months of this schedule (some off and on), I'm still doing it and have no pain while running.

Some people will require a coach to really help monitor themselves. Some can look for the signs themselves. So the safe answer is get on some every other day schedule. The technical answer is you can workout as much as body can handle. The rub being, you need to know the signs and limits.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    There is no 1 right answer for these types of questions because there are so many variables. Ultimately, if you're able to recover sufficiently (adequate sleep, cals, nutritents) between workouts, then you're probably fine.
  • soinbnsng
    soinbnsng Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes, overtraining is bad. Some people only talk about overtraining as it relates to the frequency of workouts. Some break it down to the frequency of workouts for each muscle group.

In my opinion it is difficult to have an overtraining discussion just based on the frequency of workouts. To me, one needs consider the intensity of the workouts, factors which creates stress to the body outside of exercising, monitoring themselves for signs of overtraining. For example, I run 6 days a week and I did it weighing almost 250 lbs at one point. Almost everyone would say this is very dangerous. But, almost 18 months of this schedule (some off and on), I'm still doing it and have no pain while running.

Some people will require a coach to really help monitor themselves. Some can look for the signs themselves. So the safe answer is get on some every other day schedule. The technical answer is you can workout as much as body can handle. The rub being, you need to know the signs and limits.

Do you feel like you need more sleep when working out so much? I get about 7 hours but feel sleepy more often now. I think I will up it to 8 but my body feels fine just my a little brain fog.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yoga and dog walking are things that are active recovery, or at the very least, things you aren't going to need to recover from. Also, it depends on how intensely you are lifting and running. That makes a huge difference on recovery needed, and something none of us know. Rest days aren't something that's completely straightforward.
  • ronocnikral
    Options
    soinbnsng wrote: »

Do you feel like you need more sleep when working out so much? I get about 7 hours but feel sleepy more often now. I think I will up it to 8 but my body feels fine just my a little brain fog.

I get 8+ hours of sleep. With 3 kids, I basically come home from work and have to start the process of dinner, tub, reading etc to get them to bed, so I can hit the sack 45-60 mins later.

I also monitor my heart rate while sleeping. If it pokes up, I know I need to back off on the running. I make sure I am not getting sick (and have not had more than a cold once in the last 18 months). I check that my muscles aren't fatigued. If I start running and something is off on my heart rate, I stop and re-evaluate. Sometimes I pack it in, sometimes I slow it down, sometime I cut back the workload. I am also meticulous about planning and keep notes about workouts. I plan out 2 weeks of workouts and adjust them constantly. I also monitor myself for stress (my wife also helps with it). If sex drive goes in the toilet, I am overworking.

I disagree with someone above who said certain things are "active recovery." It's the entire load you are applying to your body. If you must walk a dog daily, it should be accounted for in your plan. Maybe as "active recovery," maybe not? If I spend a saturday running around doing home improvement projects, it gets accounted for (I work a desk job and being on my feet 8+ hours a day is something different).
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ...I disagree with someone above who said certain things are "active recovery." It's the entire load you are applying to your body. If you must walk a dog daily, it should be accounted for in your plan. Maybe as "active recovery," maybe not? If I spend a saturday running around doing home improvement projects, it gets accounted for (I work a desk job and being on my feet 8+ hours a day is something different).

She's not asking whether it should be accounted for as exercise. She's asking whether it's OK or if it's harmful to be doing something active every day of the week. I exercise every day of the week, but some days are active recovery days. I actually find that those recovery exercises (like the dog walks and the yoga) are more helpful than laying around and doing nothing, since it seems to stretch everything out and keep me from getting stiff.

I don't consider those kinds of easy activities to be a stress on my body at all. It's still exercise, but it's not hardcore, and it gives the body a rest from the more intense workouts, like my trail running and mountain biking. <-- Those are the kinds of things you might not want to be doing every day of the week. Recovery exercises get counted as exercise because it is exercise. Sure, I guess it's adding to the entire load, but if your body is responding well to that load, it's a good thing. If you are over-training on the intense stuff and finding yourself getting run down or injured, then it's time to really rest. But I personally don't need a day off from dog walks and yoga. But that's just my opinion. Every body is different... B)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are gearing up for a half marathon you will find out soon if you are doing too much.

If you find your times and/or your endurance is suffering, it’s too much. Could you get your dogs geared up to marathon training pace? Then they can help you get to goal.

I think getting extra sleep is a great idea.

Also watch for any sign of overstrain or injury and never skip your cool-down stretches.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Chances are you’re not stressing your body too heavily if you’re not feeling fatigued.

If I do my training a close to maximal load for more than 3 days in a row I will feel fatigued for a couple of days until I recover and my CNS has a chance to unload.
  • soinbnsng
    soinbnsng Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Chances are you’re not stressing your body too heavily if you’re not feeling fatigued.

If I do my training a close to maximal load for more than 3 days in a row I will feel fatigued for a couple of days until I recover and my CNS has a chance to unload.

I definitely feel sore two days after lifting and my legs are sore after running a long run, abs sore after yoga or pure barre but fatigue I only feel when I am not eating enough. The reason I asked this question was because I have read on other forums that working out everyday isn't efficient. So I don't want to do more work for no reason.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    soinbnsng wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »

I definitely feel sore two days after lifting and my legs are sore after running a long run, abs sore after yoga or pure barre but fatigue I only feel when I am not eating enough. The reason I asked this question was because I have read on other forums that working out everyday isn't efficient. So I don't want to do more work for no reason.

In my experience muscle soreness is a sign of not doing enough of the same activity. I only get sore when I skip workouts. Like if I only lift or run once in a week, or suddenly do a really long run, I get sore. That is way different from soreness in other places like your joints. If my knees or hips feel sore it means I'm doing too much and need to rest or ease up.
  • devalzo
    devalzo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are many things involved in proper body recovery. Mental state, nutrition, sleep, rest... and it also depends on the intensity of workout.
    If you can align all of that you might be good for every day workout. But you know that is close to impossible, unless you are paid to do it.

Tried it, and for me it did'n end well.
    From my experience, whatever you do, proper nutrition (natural electrolites, vitamins, minerals...) should be your major priority.
    Body will tell you if it is fatigued, but sometimes you might not notice lost of important nutrient that can affect your health.
    Balance is the key. If you put more pressure on your body you have to give it something in return.
  • ronocnikral
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    ...I disagree with someone above who said certain things are "active recovery." It's the entire load you are applying to your body. If you must walk a dog daily, it should be accounted for in your plan. Maybe as "active recovery," maybe not? If I spend a saturday running around doing home improvement projects, it gets accounted for (I work a desk job and being on my feet 8+ hours a day is something different).

She's not asking whether it should be accounted for as exercise. She's asking whether it's OK or if it's harmful to be doing something active every day of the week. I exercise every day of the week, but some days are active recovery days. I actually find that those recovery exercises (like the dog walks and the yoga) are more helpful than laying around and doing nothing, since it seems to stretch everything out and keep me from getting stiff.

I don't consider those kinds of easy activities to be a stress on my body at all. It's still exercise, but it's not hardcore, and it gives the body a rest from the more intense workouts, like my trail running and mountain biking. <-- Those are the kinds of things you might not want to be doing every day of the week. Recovery exercises get counted as exercise because it is exercise. Sure, I guess it's adding to the entire load, but if your body is responding well to that load, it's a good thing. If you are over-training on the intense stuff and finding yourself getting run down or injured, then it's time to really rest. But I personally don't need a day off from dog walks and yoga. But that's just my opinion. Every body is different... B)

I understand what was being asked. In terms of walking the dog or yoga, my point is, one day it may ok, another day it might not be.

With backyard access to a trail, I would love to trail run every day of the week and my body can handle it. like you say, we're all different. 8)

Also, the attitude of "no pain, no gain" is a poor one, imo. Depending on goals, there can be many things happening that aren't associated with acidosis (what many people strive for as "soreness"). Things such as mitochondrial production, "lactate shuttle," muscle fiber adaptation, etc. Even if you don't feel "sore," you can still be over training.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I also walk a dog every day for 2-3 miles. I don't really look at that as stressful to my body because the pace is slow and easy and it's been a part of my daily life for the past 7 years. I run as well, generally 5-6 days a week. If I'm not training, I run 30-40 mpw, at the moment it's higher (50+) because I'm training for a marathon in April. On my two days off running I will either go for a short hike (again, slow and easy) or do 45 minutes on a stationary bike. I mix yoga in on my rest days or shorter run days. Once a week or so I'll decide not to do anything extra. I'm 61 and don't feel like I'm doing too much. When I do, my body is very quick to tell me. When every run is a struggle, it's time to back off. When I dread going for a run, it's time to back off. When I find myself unable to do anything active besides my scheduled runs, it's time to back off. I do find that I sleep more when my training intensifies. Either that or I don't sleep because my body is achy. But overall, I sleep more than most people.