Please help. I am getting obsessed and depressed.

Options
I have been overweight my entire life. My mom is morbidly obease, and I don't want to become her.i am 5'6" and I used to weigh in at 270lbs when I was only 15. I started the medifast diet that year dropping down to 170lbs in just a year. But to me, I looked exactly the same. I got depressed when I hit a plataue on the diet that lasted 5 months. I desperately wanted to be skinny, and eventually I got so dissatisfied with my lack of progress my weight slowly went back to 230lbs. I thought I always look 500lbs so I never saw me gaining weight in the mirror.I am now 19.
I have started losing weight unintentionally because of depression, down to 211lbs. But now I've started obsessively counting calories. And searching the internet looking at thin women I wish I could look like, or quick solutions. How to lose 60lbs in 5 months. It is effecting college. I'm an A grade science student, and I have been not studying or being able to focus because all I can think about is losing the weight, and losing it fast. I know fast weight loss is unsustainable.i know my obsession is wrong, I just can't stop! I'm crying writing this because I don't know what to do. My health insurance doesn't cover mental health.

Replies

• Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Whoops, just saw the part about your insurance. If there is someone available at your school, you could check with them to see if you'd have to pay. You may not if it's a service that your school offers!

Another option would be a community health center. You can google your area for one. They offer services for people without insurance coverage, and charge for appointments based on your income. (I work for a community health center in CT, so I'm very familiar with how they work. :) )
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I want to underline what kazie said about photos. To me photos are the ultimate truth tellers. If you take periodic pictures of yourself in an identical pose and clothes (or not) and identical lighting you will be amazed how profound even a 20lbs loss can look. I'm 58. You are young. Weight control is a lifelong pastime. Patience!
  • yumesoraki
    yumesoraki Posts: 4,859 Member
    Options
    As above, hugs. It can definitely help to talk to someone. There are services online for active listeners (free), because sometimes you need an ear. Most universities do have counseling services (if it's not required for them to have it anyway - I mean, I think it's required for them to have that service available).

I personally like some of the support-challenge groups here on MFP. Each that I've been a part of (like the Ilvermorny Challenge -has a big focus on health/wellness challenges) has been super supportive. I've gained a few accountabila-buddies out of it as well ^.^
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My adult son goes to his university ‘s counseling center, and it’s completely free. Your situation is affecting your studies and your school will be supportive of giving you the tools you need to cope with your obsessiveness and the stress causing you to lose focus.

So... take some photos of your face, front body, side body and back. Follow MFP program. Take same photos after you lose 20 pounds. You will see a difference! Try the phone app PicsArt (free). You can make a collage of “before “ and “after” pictures. You can put last month’s front full body pic next to the one of you 20 pounds lighter, for instance. Pretty cool!

Take good care of yourself. You’re worth it!!
  • AuroraBliss22
    AuroraBliss22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I go to community because I can't afford a university for 4 years. My college does have counseling but it is$200per session. (My class schedule got me laid off)
  • AuroraBliss22
    Options
    Eire228 wrote: »
    Whoops, just saw the part about your insurance. If there is someone available at your school, you could check with them to see if you'd have to pay. You may not if it's a service that your school offers!

Another option would be a community health center. You can google your area for one. They offer services for people without insurance coverage, and charge for appointments based on your income. (I work for a community health center in CT, so I'm very familiar with how they work. :) )

Thank you. I'm trying to find some resource.
  • AuroraBliss22
    Options
    kazie1206 wrote: »
    Body dysmorphia is a real thing. A lot of people who lose a lot of weight (including myself) experience it. I lost, from the very beginning to now, 125 lbs. And do you know what, at times I still think I am fat. I still look down at my body and see a girl pushing 300. I still walk into plus size clothing stores because that is what I see, but it is getting better for me. But the first thing you need to do is take a time out. When I get like this, I pull up an old picture of myself and set it next to a current picture. That usually puts it back into perspective for me. When I can visually see the difference. Then you need to congratulate yourself on your successes. Now I know that you had a period of time that you re-gained. That is just part of life. I know because I’m on journey #3. So you forget yesterday because that doesn’t matter and you can’t change what has already taken place. You can only focus on today. THE HEALTHY way. You did not gain weight overnight and you cannot lose it overnight. I have been in your exact shoes. I was depressed, I tried every fad diet to lose weight as fast as possible. (One that only allowed me to eat every 3 days and that was only watermelon). DON’T DO THAT! I lost weight quickly and then I gained it back twice as fast and then the depression began again which was a vicious cycle because my depression leads to binge eating which farther lead to depression and so on. So what you need to do is decide that you’re in it for the long haul. Do a healthy lifestyle, do a healthy lifestyle that works for you, and get your body moving. Weigh in one a week max. Make mini goals and celebrate them (with no food related rewards). Like I am I huge book person and I would buy a new book at each 10 pound drop. Take a photo every month and build a collage of success! You may not see it day to day, but over a month period, you will see that difference and its crazy seeing day 1 and month 6. And then agree that this is a lifestyle change not a diet and it will need to be something you can live with for the long haul. Don’t compare yourself to supermodels, dang they don’t even look like that in real life. We’d all look 100 times better if we had stylist and tanners, and Photoshop and hairstylists, but especially photoshop. Make your goals about your health and your happiness. Allow yourself to know you are beautiful. One additional thing, and I know it’s corny, but I swear it actually works. On this journey, stand in front of your mirror and tell yourself these things every morning (and say it like you mean it – even if you have to fake it til you make it). #1. I am beautiful. #2. I am worth it. #3. I can do this. #4.I love you. At first, it will be weird, but over time if you tell yourself enough, you start to believe it and get to a better mental place. It also wouldn’t hurt to seek out a body dysmorphia support group. It helps to know that this is very common thing that happens and it is only your own perception, not how everyone else sees you. You can do this!

Thank you so much. This post was very helpful. I don't really know what to reply to all the helpful tips people give me on here except that. I'm trying my best to take it all in. I want to make a positive change.
  • GlorianasTears
    GlorianasTears Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Wow thats sad stuff
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Question regarding your insurance: you say that yours doesn't cover mental health. Does that mean counseling only? If you were to go to your primary physician who accepts your insurance and tell them all that is going on with you, would your insurance cover antidepressants, if those are warranted?
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I wonder whether BetterHelp.com might be worth looking into. They have a sliding scale charge of $35 to $70 per week, with UNLIMITED on-line counseling. You can live chat, phone or video chat with a counselor they pair you up with. You can subscribe as long as you want. Maybe you could consider doing one or two weeks, then unsubscribe if you find it's too expensive or not what you were looking for.
  • lezley_a_k
    lezley_a_k Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Since you are in college your university should provide free mental health and counseling services. Please contact the health department to get the details. Also many universities have psychology departments that also offer groups for people to join for things like weight loss and obsessive thoughts. Check into that as well. Good luck and I am sending you positive energy and support from afar.
  • Dree216
    Dree216 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. Just remember that YOU deserve to be healthy and happy, but it does take exercise & healthy food. We are all in this together. Best wishes!
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Take this time to Invest in Yourself. School will pay off a million times more than being thin. Do your science homework!!! Kill it!!! I am so excited to see where life will take you, or where you will take life!

You have the rest of your life to drop the weight, but your education is the most important thing in my opinion

I never thought I was that cute growing up. At 19 my body still was not done growing or settling in as it will. So don't be too hard on yourself!

Your life is sacred
    Your journey is so special
    Take your time
    Don't worry about what anyone else is doing or what they look like
    You have your own path

Make healthy food choices, but make sure you're getting the nutrition your body and brain need to succeed! There's a whole world out there for you to change! To focus on only your looks is the narrow path. Cultivate your skills and strengths now, it will pay off later.
    Looks are a depreciating asset, but a degree and knowledge is an investment that will continue to payoff

Invest your time wisely

Be strong
    Be healthy
    Have faith in yourself
    Don't let anyone or anything pressure you

Do what's right for you

I'm rooting for you :)
  • CourtneyUT
    CourtneyUT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My mother is morbidly obese and I have a deep fear of becoming that way too. Just remember, you are young and can start today to treat yourself kindly. Neither of us have to become what our mothers have. If you are a religious person, you could check to see if your church has counselors that can help. I'm a Mormon and my church has a program that helps pay for members to see licensed mental health counselors if needed. Perhaps your church has a similar program? Hugs to you!
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hugs. I can't imagine the stress that you are under, but I have suffered from depression on and off through the years, and I know how it can affect studies and motivation and just make everything seem that much harder, and at times impossible. I also know what it's like to not be happy with your body, and how that can affect everything else.

I agree with everyone here that suggests trying to find some sort of counseling. If your regular doctor refers you, your insurance might cover it, otherwise online paid options or even online support groups might help. Sometimes just being heard is enough.

Here are my recommendations. Set your MFP to maintenance. Aim to eat about 500 lower than that, but any day you don't eat over maintenance is a win and means you won't be gaining. Eat more fruits and vegetables, the vitamins will make you feel better. If you're living in the northern hemisphere, start taking 5000 IU of vitamin D a day. Vitamin D deficiency can lead to seasonal depression, but is luckily one of the easier and cheaper chemical imbalances to fix.

Go for a walk every day, even if it's only a 10 minute walk around the block. We can't always control our weight, water retention, stress, and TOM make that impossible, but we can control our activity. 10 minutes won't burn a lot of calories, but it will be something that you did right every day, and will lay the building blocks for a healthier lifestyle.

Friend me on here if you want. I'm active every day and am glad to help anyone on their journey.
  • Ivelina34
    Ivelina34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hugs from me too. Every morning when I wake up i am happy because i am alive. This helps me a lot. I live my life , eat vegetables and fruits and step by step everything become perfect. Be thankful and you will see the change. Lot of hugs one more time. When you get calm you will make whatever you want !
  • tjluck1234
    tjluck1234 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There are government programs for mental health check out your area see if they can help and remember everyone has issues
  • stephanierae07
    stephanierae07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I read something I think you need to read earlier and it really made perfect sense, last year I watched a show on tv called “my diet is better than yours” I continue to follow the winner, jasmine and she is very inspiring I’ll post the link to her fb page for you to take a look at also sending you a friend request sweetie I’ll be here for ya!