Am I losing weight too fast (2.84lbs/week avg)

Options
I am 67 days into my journey, and weight is peeling off.

Am I losing weight too fast? (I'm a 5'11, 33 Y.O. Male)

My start weight was 250 lbs, and I am currently at 217.6 lbs. My average weight loss over the last 65 days is 2.84lbs / week. My calorie deficit is set at 1500 cals per day, and I eat back 50-100% of my exercise calories.
For the last month I've been working out 4 times a week, 1.5 hours of weightlifting each time, sometimes more.

I'm sleeping like a baby, and feeling stronger and faster than ever.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

Diary : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/deimosphoebos

Replies

• Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    not to be a downer but it may start to even out. i started 5 years ago at 296 and the first 50 dropped off in 4-5 months. then it went slower and slower. got down to 215 after about 2 years and then would go up 10-15 lbs, down 10-15 lbs.

right now im at 217 and im going at about 1-2lbs a week. though i am a little *ahem* older than you by 15 years

the trick is not to get discouraged if you put on a lb or two when you have been steadily losing
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    That rate of loss WILL slow down, and it'll have nothing to do with what you're eating. As your absolute weight goes down, the percentage of body weight that you can lose may well stay the same, but it will be the same percentage of a smaller number. It won't reflect on you or your food (probably), but it will happen. Remember to recalculate your deficit numbers as your weight goes down.

And as Jerrypeoples said, don't let that discourage you. It's terrific that you're having such great results! Appreciate them, and keep on keeping on!
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I would say slow it down a bit and add some calories so that you are only losing 2 lbs per week. What I found was that as I got healthier, stronger, with more endurance, my workouts became more intense, with heavier weights/more resistance. I was clipping along at 2.4 lbs per week and then accelerated and lost 3 lbs one week. I figured I had better increase my calorie intake to slow things down and stay healthy. Fyi, I started at 222 lbs, and I am down to 188 lbs now.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Edit because I misread: Yes, it's too fast, and it's because you've got MFP set to make you lose too fast. A 1500 calorie deficit works out to a 3lb loss per week, so if you go over once in a while your body is basically doing exactly what is expected.

So...eat more. You're close enough to 200lbs now that a 1000calorie deficit would be appropriate, and when you go under 200 you're going to want to cut it down to 750. Aim for around 1% of your body weight per week; that number's going to keep shrinking. Meanwhile as your weight goes down your allotted calories will shrink a bit as well, so eventually the two will meet in the middle and you'll be eating at maintenance for your goal weight.

Great job so far; keep it up!
  • deimosphoebos
    deimosphoebos Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    L2TheDen wrote: »
    1500 calorie deficit a day is a bit too low (for a person starting at 250 lbs) if you ask me. Around 1800 would be ideally. Have you had any recent blood work done? Losing weight to fast can have a real negative side effect on both your body and health.

I started my daily calorie goal at 1800, then dropped it to 1700 after a month, and now it's been at 1500 for the last two weeks.

Last blood test was 2 yrs ago, and no issues.

I do feel a bit hungry from time to time, but then I eat. After work yesterday I had a fresh bagel and some veggie chips, that brought me over my goal having eaten back all my exercise calories.
  • deimosphoebos
    Options
    if you feel great... why not embrace your luck. Some on here talk about a .5 pound a week loss being good..all that does is destroy willpower...why not knock of the weight and be done.

A slow rate of lose may "destroy willpower" but a too-rapid rate of lose destroys muscle mass.

I understand I'll be losing muscles, which is why I have increased my protein intake and am hitting the gym quite regularly now. Do you still think, even though I'm feeling stronger, more energy, I should still slow it down?
  • deimosphoebos
    Options
    Edit because I misread: Yes, it's too fast, and it's because you've got MFP set to make you lose too fast. A 1500 calorie deficit works out to a 3lb loss per week, so if you go over once in a while your body is basically doing exactly what is expected.

So...eat more. You're close enough to 200lbs now that a 1000calorie deficit would be appropriate, and when you go under 200 you're going to want to cut it down to 750. Aim for around 1% of your body weight per week; that number's going to keep shrinking. Meanwhile as your weight goes down your allotted calories will shrink a bit as well, so eventually the two will meet in the middle and you'll be eating at maintenance for your goal weight.

Great job so far; keep it up!

Maybe I miss wrote, my calorie goal is set at 1500 per day, I think my deficit is around 1000 cals.
  • deimosphoebos
    Options
    kazgorat1 wrote: »
    I would say slow it down a bit and add some calories so that you are only losing 2 lbs per week. What I found was that as I got healthier, stronger, with more endurance, my workouts became more intense, with heavier weights/more resistance. I was clipping along at 2.4 lbs per week and then accelerated and lost 3 lbs one week. I figured I had better increase my calorie intake to slow things down and stay healthy. Fyi, I started at 222 lbs, and I am down to 188 lbs now.

How long have you been on this journey (222lbs to 188lbs)? What was the reason you decided to increase your calorie intake? How much of your exercise calories do you normally eat back?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    L2TheDen wrote: »
    1500 calorie deficit a day is a bit too low (for a person starting at 250 lbs) if you ask me. Around 1800 would be ideally. Have you had any recent blood work done? Losing weight to fast can have a real negative side effect on both your body and health.

I started my daily calorie goal at 1800, then dropped it to 1700 after a month, and now it's been at 1500 for the last two weeks.

Last blood test was 2 yrs ago, and no issues.

I do feel a bit hungry from time to time, but then I eat. After work yesterday I had a fresh bagel and some veggie chips, that brought me over my goal having eaten back all my exercise calories.

Since that precedes your rapid weight loss by 22 months, how is that relevant? It's like my being in an accident, and someone saying, "don't move, it looks like you broke your leg," and my saying, "no, I had an x-ray two years ago, I'm fine."