First Boxing Class Tonight - I'm TERRIFIED!

Options
Going to my first boxing class and I am every bit as TERRIFIED as I am excited! Yesterday was my 1-year-start-of-weight-loss-journey-anniversary and I'm trying very hard to bring fitness more into focus this year. First thing was signing up for a "grown up" gym (so long, Planet Fitness!) so I can capitalize on classes, including tonight's beginner's boxing session!

While on the one hand I'm totally stoked to be trying something new and branching into new things, I'm also a) human and typically afraid of the unknown, and b) always nervous when I do something by myself! Here I am hoping someone has some expert advise/encouragement...

I have gear, hand wraps, and a whole lot of adrenaline. Trying to stay hydrated now but that is only contributing to the feeling that I'm going to pee myself. Any tips for a first-timer? (If it makes a difference, I'm a 23 yo woman, active job but not a gym rat at ALL, I know it's a beginner's class but that's pretty much it!)

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Don't drink TOO close to class or you might have to run out and pee mid way through the warm up!

Have fun, good luck, don't psych yourself out!
  • nadean1980
    nadean1980 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, and I am sure you felt the same way when you first joined Planet Fitness both terrified and excited! But once we do these things we realize or wonder why was I so scared?!?! So don’t let it get to you, you’ll have so much fun!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    nadean1980 wrote: »
    I am sure you felt the same way when you first joined Planet Fitness both terrified and excited!

Afraid of Planet Fitness? Is this a thing?

OP - go earlier and watch the prior class. Familiarity is comforting. :+1:
  • mikeb4bjj
    mikeb4bjj Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It's your first class. That means nobody is going to let you spar. That means nobody is going to hit you. Just have fun.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm a member at a Title Boxing Club, and I absolutely love it! If your gym has a website, maybe check it out for tips for your first class or a description of the class. At Title, you do not hit anyone and no one hits you. You do a workout on the heavy bag. It's a cardio boxing fitness class, not actual sparring. The instructor calls out and demonstrates what the exercise or punch combo is, and don't be afraid to ask a question if you aren't sure what to do. Your class may or may not be similar depending on the specific gym, but either way I would guess someone will give you a quick tutorial since it's your first class. I would suggest getting there a little early to maybe see the end of the previous class and to allow time to wrap your hands and get situated for the class. Hope you enjoy it!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    so jealous. My local YMCA used to have cardio kickboxing classes and they rocked! The only nearby boxing class is over 200$ :(
  • mikeb4bjj
    mikeb4bjj Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    glennagael wrote: »
    Thanks for the reassurance, everyone. I LOVED it. It's a skills class, so we were hitting but pads, not faces. ;) The instructors gave me some tips to practice at home. So sad I won't be able to go until next week!

You can shadow box and skip rope anywhere!
  • dmich3210
    dmich3210 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I took lessons for about a year and a half. It’s a blast, but a definite workout.

Unless you are at a gym that is training competitive fighters, it won’t be “serious”, a lot more laid back and fun than combative. I took my lessons at a “lifestyle” boxing gym - in other words, no future Oscar de la Hoya’s or Muhammed Ali’s in training, just a bunch of mainly middle-aged lawyers, doctors, accountants, engineers etc blowing off steam, getting exercise, and having fun. Also, while there was the opportunity to get into sparring matches with trainers and eventually other members, no one seemed too intent on landing any really serious punches that would inflict any damage. You know no one is taking it too seriously when a sparring match round stops in the middle because both guys can’t quit laughing - which is what happened to me a couple of times - my sparring partner had a great sense of humor and I was highly amused at just how bad of a boxer I was!

Enjoy it, have fun, don’t take it too seriously - it’s an exercise class, no different than spin class or kettle bells or whatever.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm a member at a Title Boxing Club, and I absolutely love it! If your gym has a website, maybe check it out for tips for your first class or a description of the class. At Title, you do not hit anyone and no one hits you. You do a workout on the heavy bag. It's a cardio boxing fitness class, not actual sparring. The instructor calls out and demonstrates what the exercise or punch combo is, and don't be afraid to ask a question if you aren't sure what to do. Your class may or may not be similar depending on the specific gym, but either way I would guess someone will give you a quick tutorial since it's your first class. I would suggest getting there a little early to maybe see the end of the previous class and to allow time to wrap your hands and get situated for the class. Hope you enjoy it!

+1 Boxing is a great social sport and very supportive from my experience. I would say there is nothing to fear, you aren't going to get hurt and you'll love it.
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I hope you enjoyed it! I'm a member of iLoveKickboxing and we hit bags. There is also a 15 min "warm up" which is very intense. Its more like HIIT, with squats, burpees, pushups, etc. I absolutely love it! I hated every kind of exercise known to man. Its the only thing I've stuck with and its been 2 yrs now.
  • glennagael
    glennagael Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    jadior wrote: »
    I hope you enjoyed it! I'm a member of iLoveKickboxing and we hit bags. There is also a 15 min "warm up" which is very intense. Its more like HIIT, with squats, burpees, pushups, etc. I absolutely love it! I hated every kind of exercise known to man. Its the only thing I've stuck with and its been 2 yrs now.

I did love it! Yes, the exercises before hand are super intense, but they were genuine warm ups, not exhaustive. I was totally jazzed! Here's to two more years, and beyond. :smiley:
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2018
    Options

I did love it! Yes, the exercises before hand are super intense, but they were genuine warm ups, not exhaustive. I was totally jazzed! Here's to two more years, and beyond. :smiley:

Congrats on your first night! Glad you enjoyed it because it's a great sport. So are you going to spar eventually or just do the training?
  • glennagael
    glennagael Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Congrats on your first night! Glad you enjoyed it because it's a great sport. So are you going to spar eventually or just do the training?

Thank you! It really is amazing. Right now I'm focusing on training because I can only commit to one (hopefully two) classes a week and I am hardly in prime physical condition. It would be amazing to spar some day--- I won't pretend I wasnt having visions of Rocky all day. (: How long have you been boxing? Any tips?
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thank you! It really is amazing. Right now I'm focusing on training because I can only commit to one (hopefully two) classes a week and I am hardly in prime physical condition. It would be amazing to spar some day--- I won't pretend I wasnt having visions of Rocky all day. (: How long have you been boxing? Any tips?

LOL, yeah you'll be hearing Going To Fly Now for a bit. I haven't boxed for years, I did about two years along with Kick Boxing. I would just make sure you get your conditioning and confidence up. When you start sparing it's a lot of fun and you'll be surprised at how your reflexes take over sometimes. I remember the first time I instinctively slipped and rolled under a punch when just playing around and it was pretty interesting to realize how much my body had learned to just go with the flow.
  • mrtrel
    mrtrel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Boxing is fun and gives you a good overall workout. Glad you're having fun with it.