Shall I ignore my BMI

Options
Just wanted to know if people in general try to reach a BMI goal. My goal is to reach 80kg for 175cm (currently at 81.6kg), but the BMI calculator says that i would still be "overweight", and ideal weight would be 75kg, I don't know if I could even reach that, and I don't think that I want to lose that much weight. Is BMI calculation overrated?

Replies

• ZRunner5Lulaica
    ZRunner5Lulaica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've been at my bmi and slightly over and where I am. To be honest, I was happiest with my body when I was slightly over the normal range (25.5-27). The only reason I have some eye on it is that hubby's insurance that I'm on gives a discount if you are under a set bmi (along with other factors).

Hubby is in the same boat though that his weight would be stupid low if he were to get into the normal range (his weight for the discount also is lower than he would like). The last time he was that low, he was also training for the MS150, and after the ride, he gained a bit of weight since he didn't have intentions of riding in the next year.
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Like most things in life, the accuracy of the BMI is on a bell curve. It is accurate for the majority of people, however, it isn't for those who have too little muscle mass or those that have a lot of muscle mass. You'll have to answer the question for yourself whether to ignore it based on your own assessment (either by doing a relatively accurate body fat measurement - DEXA, bod pod, underwater weighing), or just look in a mirror to determine if you like what you see and like how you feel at the "overweight" BMI weight.

I myself have a lot of lean mass for my frame size. To get into the non-overweight category, I need to stay at 16% body fat or less, which is really tough for me to do, so I typically hover about 3-5 pounds into the "overweight" BMI. I feel great at that weight, am happy with how I look, so I don't care about BMI.

That's what i am thinking too, once i reach my bodyweight goal, I will concentrate on lifting a bit more to tone, and you are spot on saying that if you are happy with what you see when you look at the mirror, I should not worry too much about some scientific guidelines
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm using mine as a starting point. But as I close in on the ideal range for my height, I mean to sit down with an RD and figure out what's probably a good number for me. (I know I don't want to be at the bottom of the range and I think I want to be about 10lbs into it, but that's more because I'm the kind of person who can drive herself nuts if she's 0.2 out of the 'good' zone and I'd like to have enough of a buffer so I'll still be within the range with 'normal' fluctuations. If an RD tells me something else, I'll take specific advice from an expert over general recommendations from a chart.)
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I find the BMI scale a good value to strive towards, but I know for my bone structure and muscle etc, If i get as low as the BMI suggests I'd look malnourished lol. Just take pictures and measurements and go from there. When you see yourself in your body that you are YOUR optimum weight then stop there :)

• netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    One thing I'd say is - just don't get too fixated on a specific number... years ago I, for some reason, set my goal to a BMI of roughly 20.. I did drop to that weight (though the last 3-4kg was due to dental issues, to be honest) and I looked awful - like, gaunt face, ribcage showing through my back, super skinny arms, etc
    As it turns out I feel best at what's cosidered the slightly higher end of normal BMI
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    T
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    The easy way to do it: Set a goal based upon whatever metrics you like (weight, BMI, body fat percentage, etc.). If you like what you see when you get there, you're good; if you don't, set another goal and work toward it. If, somewhere along the way to your initial goal, you find a weight ....

Thank AnvilHead, that's some good advice you are giving me. I am about just over 1kg from my current goal. BMI still a bit too high but as you said I am not too worried about it. Once I reach my goal, I see how easy it is to maintain, if I can afford to lose another couple of kgs, i will set a new goal

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    The easy way to do it: Set a goal based upon whatever metrics you like (weight, BMI, body fat percentage, etc.). If you like what you see when you get there, you're good; if you don't, set another goal and work toward it. If, somewhere along the way to your initial goal, you find a weight where you look good and feel good, you're good. It's not like you're immutably locked into your initial goal and can't change your mind along the way.

IMO, the ultimate goal is to reach a healthy weight where you minimize/eliminate the health risks associated with being overweight (or underweight), and are satisfied aesthetically with what you see in the mirror. BMI is a reasonable range for the vast majority of people, but it's not the be-all and end-all of measurement metrics.

Nice thoughts, or set a performance goal, say being able to do 10 pullups. Most people carrying a lot of extra bodyfat won't get that metric until they drop some.
  • becky_shrinks
    becky_shrinks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    A better indicator for health than BMI is waist measurement, a waist measurement has been proven to be a better indicator of actual health, risk of heart disease and stroke so if your bmi was higher than the normal range but your waist measurement is less than 94cm for men and 80 cm for women your probably perfectly healthy