Weights

Options
I heard from someone that the faster you do the weigth training the better. Is this true? I also heard from someone else that the slower you do it the better (A basic pace). I don't want to waste my time or damage my body, so I'd appreciate any letting me know.

Replies

• bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    What do you mean "faster"? As in rep speed? I do mine slower. The slower you do it, the more it breaks down your muscles, so they generally get stronger as opposed to blazing through the reps and not feeling anything.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I would think it to be more beneficial doing them slow and controlled.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    slow and under control is what my trainer told me
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Slow and controlled - the longer you can keep that muscle under tension the better. F'rinstane, a bicep curl half-way and held, really keeps the lower biceps tensed much more than a set of fast full curls would do.
  • beedo30
    beedo30 Posts: 186
    Options
    I would think it to be more beneficial doing them slow and controlled.
    Do slow controlled movement with heavy weight. If your going to hit the same muscle group.twice a week then yes lighten the load and use speed but perfect form. Look up p.h.a.t. workout if your really interested but for now, just lift!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how you are lifting weights. For instance at Curves they use hydraulics for their weights so the faster you go the more pressure (or something like that) or more weight it makes. I have never seen anyone, girls or guys, at the gym going super fast lifting heavy weights. That seems dangerous to me. Hope that helps :)
  • trishdoyle
    Options
    It depends on if you want to train for power, strength or endurance. Most people train for strength. It is important to do a slow, consistent, controlled speed for strength. You can derive the right amount of weight by determining the most weight you can lift once, and taking a percentage of that weight until you can lift it 10 times. The last few repetitions should be difficult. Make sure you rest between sets, and give your body at least one or two days to recover between sessions. And remember, your form is important!
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Do you mean circut training? It has it's benefits but while doing one circut do not sacrifice technique. Good luck!
  • nickele_d
    nickele_d Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What is circut training? I'm still new to all this, eating less on the low carb diet has been a eye opener, but with weight training and stuff I'm completely off my ball. I've been walking a lot, hiking, swimming etc. But Weights I'm not entirely sure what i'm doing...?
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    What is circut training? I'm still new to all this, eating less on the low carb diet has been a eye opener, but with weight training and stuff I'm completely off my ball. I've been walking a lot, hiking, swimming etc. But Weights I'm not entirely sure what i'm doing...?

A thing you can do at the gym or at home if you have the right equipment. 30-45 seconds of vigorous exercise on one machine (for example, a treadmill), followed by 30-45 seconds of vigorous exercise on another machine (cycling machine for example) and so on.
  • nickele_d
    nickele_d Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I get it thanks.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If you lift slower it's going to be mainly anaerobic. You'll burn less calories, but get a better/ harder/ more intense workout for your muscles. If you go faster you're relying more on momentum and it will be less work for your muscles. You'll burn more calories though, because your heart rate will be constantly up as lifting faster with little or no breaks is more aerobic. It really depends on what you're hoping to do. Personally I prefer to lift slower and then do aerobic/ cardio exercise after, but if I'm rushed for time, circuit training is a pretty good workout too.
  • krista896
    krista896 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I go fairly slow so its my muscles doing the work, not the momentum of the movement.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I can see doing the reps slower is better, and doing sets faster is better. So, you should move from one type of exercise to the next quickly. I do one set of each exercise(4 exercises total) and rest once I've done all sets. I repeat this two more times.