How much should I be eatting?

Options
So I've been being fit for about 2-3 weeks now. I've lost 3 pounds in fat and it's making my waist slimmer which I like but I'm worried I'm not eatting enough protein. I want too lose the fat while also gain muscle but I'm scared too eat too much. I am eating roughly 2030 calories a day and about 100 grams of protein a day. I weigh 173 right now and I'm 5'11. Any tips?

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm a 5'5"ish woman and I cut on 2000 cals. You should be eating more... closer to TDEE-250 cals and 150g protein.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You seem to be eating a good amount of calories if you are averaging about 1lb per week. But your protein should be around 140 to 170g per day.
  • surgeo228
    surgeo228 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Alright thank you guys! This is gonna help a lot!
  • MassarDv
    MassarDv Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Watch Jeff Cavalier’s YouTube videos on building muscle and burning fat at the same time.

You need to be in positive nitrogen balance to build muscle during a deficit and your protien numbers should be close to your body wieght in Pounds .
    You need track your macros very closely and body measuremts to make progress .

If you try with 40 carb 30 protien and 30 fat ratio you may see some results but cardio on a non work out day will help you to lose more fat .

To even raise the game of burning
    1. Try intermittent fasting
    2. Try One refeed day in a week
    3. Try fasted state cardio

If you are losing .5 pounds per week without strength loss then you are on the track but the key to your success will be tracking and adjusting macros.

When on cut it is well known that you have to do less reps for the same weight you were lifting when you were bulking .
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It varies depending on individual needs and preferences.

I’m currently 170 at 5’10” and having to eat 3150 kcals/day (about 200g protein) just to keep a slow gain (0.2-0.4 lbs./week) going. When I cut, it tends to be 1250-ish kcals/day of 90+% protein, using Lyle McDonald’s RFL protocol to cut roughly 15 lbs. in two weeks.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MassarDv wrote: »
    Watch Jeff Cavalier’s YouTube videos on building muscle and burning fat at the same time.

You need to be in positive nitrogen balance to build muscle during a deficit and your protien numbers should be close to your body wieght in Pounds .
    You need track your macros very closely and body measuremts to make progress .

If you try with 40 carb 30 protien and 30 fat ratio you may see some results but cardio on a non work out day will help you to lose more fat .

To even raise the game of burning
    1. Try intermittent fasting
    2. Try One refeed day in a week
    3. Try fasted state cardio

If you are losing .5 pounds per week without strength loss then you are on the track but the key to your success will be tracking and adjusting macros.

When on cut it is well known that you have to do less reps for the same weight you were lifting when you were bulking .

None of this will improve fat burning. And if you incorporate refeeds, it should be at least 2 days of moderate protein, low fat, very high carb. But if it's not 2 consecutive days, it won't do anything to decrease cortisol levels or increase leptin.

Fasting is just a strategy and fasted cardio doesn't add anything to the equation.