New Bike and Now Scared to Ride It!

Just bought a new bike today and I'm having a bit of fear about taking it out on the streets with all those cars whizzing by at the 100 KM speed limit and then some. How did you get back into what we all knew as kids was a great form of exercise and play but now know what 'can' happen when/if cars and bikes collide? It's a road bike and I want to do primarily training and fitness but also have fun seeing the sights as well. Just looking forward to getting outdoors and out of my sedentary mindset!

Replies

• carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    you just gotta jump on it and do it!! Yes it's scary at first, but you'll get used to it. just go on slower streets until you get the feel for it
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Do you have bike paths near you? I stick to the designated bike paths in my area - I can still see the scenery but don't have to be afraid of being sideswiped!!
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    BE CAREFUL!!! I got a roadbike at the beginning of the summer and have just started to take it on the road. Make sure you're confident with hand/arm signals, stopping and turning quickly, looking over your shoulder, etc...

If you know of any neighborhoods with not a lot of traffic I'd start there - or a bikepath is ideal!

Have fun with it!!!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    I just bike over 200km in July and never hit a road once, except really small residential streets. i just checked out my city website , downloaded the bike map an stick to it. I often ride with my toddler in the bike trailer , so I am not going anywhere near fast cars .
    Gooflemap also have bikepath. Check it out, you maybe get surprised how many out there!
  • Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    Love riding on the road!!!! Just make sure to ride like you are invisible, meaning act like you aren't there/always be on the defensive side of it. Make sure you also know the proper hand signals and that you learn the bike first, don't just go out and ride if you have never rode that certain bike. Good luck!
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    And always ride with traffic on the same side of the road. Never ride on the side opposite of traffic. That's dangerous. Reaction time is cut by 2/3 for motorists.
  • llbird
    llbird Posts: 51
    Thanks for the replies. I will check out the bike paths to see how I can stick to the side roads for the time being. Do any of you ride with a rear view mirror affixed to your helmet or bike handles (road bike)? Also, do you tend to ride solo or have you joined up with cycling groups? As a newbie, I don't think I could keep up with the 'long haulers' yet, LOL.
  • Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    I usually ride solo,because I bike commute. On the weekends I hit the trails with friends if they are free. When I get my road bike I am hoping that I can find a small group that I can ride with.
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    I try to stick to the bike paths that don't share a lane with traffic but sometimes it is hard to avoid. I ride a recumbent trike so the three wheels make me feel safer from the start. Drivers don't realize when they get right behind you and honk to alert you that it can scare the crap out you and make you crash.
    I also have the orange flag on the pole, several different lights which I use even in the daytime and I wear a rear view mirror atached to my sunglasses or helmet. Still have to be vigilant though. Most of the places I ride seem to have drivers aware that they are sharing a bike path, with signs, etc. But some idiots-even with the big yellow signs with a picture of a bike and the words "share the road"-still honk and yell at me to quit riding on the road. I guess they don't realize that even if it isn't a signed bike path that the law stil says to treat bicyclists as an equal.
    I get a little nervous some times. But I just try to remain alert. I am not going to quit doing a form of exercise that I actually enjoy and don't feel as if I am being punished or forced to do.
    Hope you keep with it. I love it and so far am up to around 80 miles per week (5 riding days).
    Troy
    Yukon, Oklahoma
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Congrats on the new bike! Bicycling is fun and a great way to stay fit, but your fear is well understood. A bicycle is definitely NOT a toy, yet many adults, and unfortunately some motorists, can't understand that. The best policy, I believe, is to be very serious about it, but do not be afraid.

Here are some thoughts I have about it that may help:

1.) ALWAYS develop what is called "situational awareness." Be continually aware to the ever-changing environment you are in at the moment. Look around. Listen.

2.) Before riding, check your bike... A, B, C: Air, brakes, chain (and crank, and gears) to ensure you are all set, tight and good to go.

3.) Develop a "feel" for your bike, but always pay attention to the road. Remember that when looking at an object on or off the road while riding, we tend to steer toward the object.

4.) Make eye contact with motorists. You would be surprised how far away you can be to pick up on another person's eyes. The eyes can tell you a lot, and make sure they see your eyes. Communicate with them when you can. Show no fear, but show confidence.

5.) Retain your pride, but show courtesy. Remember, when it comes to a conflict between bicyclist and motor vehicle, we have no chance of winning. We are outweighed.

Just a few random cycling thoughts, and maybe some food for thought for ya. I could probably think of a lot more, but I haven't had my breakfast yet, and it's early. :smile: Take care, be safe, and have a blast!
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    All great points above.

I ride alone a lot and try to find odd times where traffic will be less on the roads I travel. When trying to log 20/30/40+ miles i have to take busy roads or I would get dizzy doing a figure 8 around my town.

I do have a mirror but must confess it is more trouble than it is worth. Adjusting it means I am not looking ahead and a road obstacle could do more damage.

Happy riding :)
  • llbird
    llbird Posts: 51
    Just a bit of an update. Took the bike out today with DH for my first 'real ride.' Earlier in the week I just went around my neighborhood. Turns out I didn't understand how the gearing system works and was riding around in 15th gear instead of 5th gear on relatively flat areas!:embarassed: I was wondering why it was so hard to pedal, just assumed I was really out of shape, lol. Sorry, that must sound very lame to the seasoned riders out there but I'm over 50 years old and only had a basic bike as a kid. I thought I underdstood it, but add traffic, gravel on the road and a healthy dose of fear and it was all a bit confusing at first.

So, we went out today for a 13 mile ride or so. Took our time and some breaks (saddle soreness even with good bike shorts). It went so well! I was blessed with perfect weather: not too hot, a bit of a breeze, pretty good traffic-wise given it was early Sunday. We took the long way home, a back country road with agricultural fields and beautiful scenery. Scores of bicyclists were headed the other direction, seemed to be some sort of race going on. Best part was that I was outside and loved it! Already thinking about when we can go again!:bigsmile:
  • ponzini
    ponzini Posts: 2
    Ride lots and have fun. I have a helmet mirror and my wife has one affixed to the left end of her handlebar. both have advantages and disadvantages. I keep knocking the little mirror off the end andit gets lost easily. hers is on a mtn bike bar. probably wouldnt fit my bar. try both and see what works foryou.