1st day on plan (for the 30th time this month!)

Options
This is the 30th time Ive started my new years resolution!!

So... here I go, I need to lose 21lbs to be at my goal weight and I want to get fitter. Somehow I feel writing it down will help motivate me... we shall see!

Wish me luck!

Replies

• ItsNotLost23
    ItsNotLost23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is also my 30th time this month! I/ wish you luck girl! take it one meal at a time!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You have to want it badly enough to stick with it... all the best ladies :smile: You CAN do it! :smile:
  • Mikkimomof6
    Mikkimomof6 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Getting through the first two days is the hardest for me (dropping all the sugar and carbs I usually load up on). Once I get through that, the cravings start to lessen and I always feel so much better that it's easier to keep going! You can do this!!!
  • DisneyVeganLove
    DisneyVeganLove Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You are off to a good start. Taking the time to write everything down do help me feel accountable.
  • beth4101
    beth4101 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Same. I’ve started and restarted my diet so many times but I guess we all fall of the wagon. We just have to remember to get back on it . We can all do this!
  • youwillsee1day
    youwillsee1day Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Same here. I keep starting and restarting. We need motivation I need to stay on here more than I was so it can keep me motivated. Good luck everyone.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 30 of Whole 30 and stuck with it each day! (Trust me, no one is more surprised than me.) I even made it through my OWN 50th Birthday without cake or booze and I don't think that has ever happened.... You guys can do this. But tomorrow? I'm drinking my damn Bourbon. LOL
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way. Do you need to stay "motivated" to go to work every day? Do you need to get "motivated" to pay your bills, fix your car, buy your groceries? Do you need to be motivated to take a shower or brush your teeth?

Unless you are suffering from depression, then no...you do these things because you have to . This is the same thing. In order to be healthy, you have to be a healthy weight and not over eat. You go to work whether you feel like it or not. Or you lose your job right?

Give this the same importance as your job and your hygiene and everything else you do as a functional adult.

Next thing is to make sure your calorie goals are realistic and that you are getting at LEAST the minimum, if not MORE of your daily protein, fat, fiber, and other nutrients. Doing so helps you feel more satisfied, trust me!!!

For many people, 1200 calories a day is NOT realistic and many people lose just fine when they eat 1300, 1400, and even 1500 calories a day. Choose a goal that is attainable and you will have an easier time staying on track.
  • debbi39
    debbi39 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started counting calories three days before I joined, I do not have friends here first, but at least coming on and viewing my food is helping but now its time to start finding empowering people to help each other stay on track.
  • LaurenD63
    LaurenD63 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Look at it this way. Do you need to stay "motivated" to go to work every day? Do you need to get "motivated" to pay your bills, fix your car, buy your groceries? Do you need to be motivated to take a shower or brush your teeth?

Unless you are suffering from depression, then no...you do these things because you have to . This is the same thing. In order to be healthy, you have to be a healthy weight and not over eat. You go to work whether you feel like it or not. Or you lose your job right?

Give this the same importance as your job and your hygiene and everything else you do as a functional adult.

Next thing is to make sure your calorie goals are realistic and that you are getting at LEAST the minimum, if not MORE of your daily protein, fat, fiber, and other nutrients. Doing so helps you feel more satisfied, trust me!!!

For many people, 1200 calories a day is NOT realistic and many people lose just fine when they eat 1300, 1400, and even 1500 calories a day. Choose a goal that is attainable and you will have an easier time staying on track.

Very well stated!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,808 Member
    Options
    good luck, getting started and sticking to it the first week or 2 is the hardest, once you stick with it awhile, its much easier
  • elf_master
    elf_master Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

This is a great piece of advice. I am in recovery for substance abuse and your advice falls in line with something my sponsor said that I always repeat to myself. He would say, "Feelings follow action, not the other way around!" It truly is a brilliant sentiment.

OP - if you're reading this - I too struggle with instant gratification vs. long-term satisfaction and one of the main reasons is because I think about how I feel about what I need to do vs how I will feel in the future when I've accomplished my goal (or failed it for that matter.) It comes down to impulse control and refusing to think about the consequences in an honest manner. My favorite line is always "I'll eat this now and then tomorrow I'll make a better choice." We give our future selves too much credit!! I think it will be easier to make the hard choice to deny my cravings in the future when I know plenty well (from experience) that is FALSE.

What's been helping me this go-around with getting back on track is not allowing myself to follow that spiral thinking that begins with the craving. Whenever I start thinking about the food it seems like the longer I go back and forth in my head about eating it or not and the pros and cons of it I start to feel like I absolutely cannot deny the craving and if I don't do it I will be miserable. It's probably just because of the saying "whatever you put your attention on grows."

Good luck, you can do this! Tonight I'm going to remember that I am not alone in this struggle and that it is possible to make changes. And when cravings come up it's going to be a simple "No, you don't want to do that because it will take you out of the deficit and it will make the last 3 days of success pointless. Those treats will be available for the rest of my life and tonight I choose to abstain." And then get busy doing something else to take your mind off of food. Watching this TV show on YouTube last night called Secret Eaters helped me avoid late-night sugary eating.

Anyways, sorry for the novel. My last suggestion is something from a 12-step program. It's kind of silly but it actually can help. Say to yourself..."I'll have that chocolate tomorrow." And then by tomorrow either the craving has passed or you just say the saying again! Lol. You might try planning treats for yourself too to fit into your daily calorie goal.

• KateBoss7521
    KateBoss7521 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If your current plan is so hard that you can’t follow it, than you might want to reconsider the plan you’re trying to follow. Rather than doing an intense and/or restrictive exercise/diet plan, look at things from a long term perspective and then start by making small changes.

Make a Pinterest board with inspiring quotes, clothes, recipes, etc. If you start craving junk food or feel discouraged, go look at your board to remind you of your goals.

Head to the grocery store (go just after eating so you aren’t tempted to buy junk) and get some fresh fruits & vegetables. Having those available and on hand when you get hungry is super helpful! Start incorporating as much fresh produce into your diet as possible, and slowly cut back on the junky stuff.

Diet changes can be tough, so take things slowly. I started with bananas, apples, baby carrots, fresh green beans, those little baby oranges, peanut butter, whole grain bread, and some dried fruits/nuts for snacks. Start with things you like and then slowly add new things as you go.
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You can do this. What's keeping me going is daily logging on mfp, support from mfp friends and all the great advice on the community forums. I think if so many other have/are suceeding then so can I. :)
  • porcelanmermaid
    porcelanmermaid Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You can do this. For many people January is simply a free trial for the new year and 2018 resolutions don't actually start until February
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    This is the 30th time Ive started my new years resolution!!

So... here I go, I need to lose 21lbs to be at my goal weight and I want to get fitter. Somehow I feel writing it down will help motivate me... we shall see!

Wish me luck!

What's different today than any other day?
  • vibrantval83
    vibrantval83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I start and stop so often. I'll loose weight then gain it back. My doctor recently told me to start a inflammatory diet due to my sciatic and bulging disc. I'm limited to so much activity right now. I've been eating lots of veggies and I have dropped at least 5 pounds this week.