Less alcohol- February 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm in, my goal is no more than 7 drinks per week.
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm in again! After not losing any of my holiday weight last month, I need to take this more seriously. Snacking more than I knew I should was a factor, but so was the drinking, even though I tried cutting down. But I didn't try hard enough.

So goal is to stick to one night during the week, and then only one or two drinks, and then maybe Fridays and Saturdays depending on what's going on.

Here are some tips that I know have worked for me in the past that have helped me avoid drinking:

- Play an evening sport with a rec league (but skip the beers after!)
    - Commit to working out first thing in the morning both to yourself and to someone else (e.g. a workout buddy or fitness class instructor)
    - Give yourself some errands to do in the evening
    - Whatever you do, just stay out of the kitchen (except to make meals)
    - Avoid routes to work or home that have beer or liquor stores on them (this is a big one for me as there is a liquor store right by my bus stop on the way home from work)
    - Tell your significant other you are trying to cut down (or eliminate) and ask for their support
    - Promise yourself you won't drink the night before a big meeting, presentation or other important event where you need to be on your game
    - Consider taking a supplement like Kudzu (personally I have found this to help but it might have been placebo - either way!)
    - Write down your feelings in a diary (if you struggled that day, how great you felt that morning because you didn't drink the night before, etc.). This helps identify your triggers and figure out ways to cope
    - Visualize your success
    - Keep coming back to forums like this

I'm with you. I have tried repeatedly to lose weight for the past couple of years. Cutting out alcohol completely for 30 days (or more) is the ONLY thing that has worked for me. So glad to nail down the culprit!
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    bdbchick wrote: »
    Will be joining in this challenge for Dry February. I’m trying to think of another way to say dry February though. Any suggestions?

One member in January referred to it as freedom, how about Freedom February?
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    snoo61 wrote: »
    bdbchick wrote: »
    Will be joining in this challenge for Dry February. I’m trying to think of another way to say dry February though. Any suggestions?

One member in January referred to it as freedom, how about Freedom February?

I LOVE it!!! Freedom February it is!!!!
    P.s. That's my word of the year for 2018. Every year I choose a new word to live by. And so FREEDOM is perfect !

What a great idea! I'll have to think of something fitting.
  • AlainaKayy
    AlainaKayy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Definitely need to cut back!
  • mmccool719
    mmccool719 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I’m in! My goal again for this month is to drink only on Friday night and Saturday, 2 glasses each instead of 3. We are going to an all inclusive resort this month so I will smartly indulge in food and wine.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    @JulieAL1969, I choose a "word of the year," too. Each year, I change my work email password to incorporate that word so I have to think of it at least once a day.

Ahhh, that's a great idea to incorporate in your daily life. Awesome!
  • machchic
    machchic Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969 I'm on and ready to go.
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this again @JulieAL1969