Carbs, no carbs....I’m so confused

Options
2»

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I don't care for diet soda at all because I hate the taste of it... But I do like those low-calorie powders that you put in your water to add flavor. My favorite is the TruLime brand, watermelon Fresca flavor.... it's absolutely the best. It's very very sweet though so a little package meant for 16 oz of water does probably about 32 to 36 ounces for me
  • Marykaylady2010
    Marykaylady2010 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Some diets will have people avoid certain types of foods to appeal to a particular audience. Like everyone said weight loss is about a calorie deficit and finding out what works for you may take some trial and error. Some people will prefer diets that eliminate certain foods that they tend to over eat because they are all or nothing people, some like that they don’t usual involve counting each calorie and just sticking to certain foods. The fad diets will come and go if your a carb lover and do low carb no carb that’s hard to sustain for the rest of your life and once you stop the diet most gain the weight back cause they didn’t learn how to moderate themselves.

I like tracking calories because there is no food I’m not allowed to eat. If there is a day where I want to eat a donut for breakfast I can as long as I plan it into my calories. The second I tell myself I can’t have that on my ‘diet’ it becomes all I can think about. Now that’s said I know if I eat nothing but junk food I will run out of calories for the day and be hungry and then I will end up going over my calories.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    megs_1985 wrote: »
    Southpawcj wrote: »
    One quick question.....what are you thoughts on diet drinks/diet sodas??

They have no calories, so they have no bad effect on your weight loss.

Some people claim that the artificial sweeteners make them crave sugar and then they overeat, but I have not found that to be the case with me personally.

Scientists think the sweetness tricks your brain into releasing insulin anyway in preparation of the incoming sugar but then when it’s not there you just have extra insulin floating around which may or may not lead to insulin sensitivy. I’m sure having too many could be bad for this reason but if it’s something you like then having it in moderation probably won’t do any long term damage.

If this were true, I don't see why the ADA would recommend diet drinks for diabetics the way they do. Surely it would harm them? Which scientists believe this and through what kind of studies, because it's certainly not part of mainstream health advice

Wow! This is a very good point. I never thought about that as a counter to the argument but that makes a lot of sense. I have heard the myth about" it tricks your body into thinking sugar is incoming" but I never really thought about your statement as a counter to that myth. Very insightful.

Another thing, if the taste was the thing that determined insulin, then your insulin wouldn't rise with carb foods that aren't sweet.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    megs_1985 wrote: »
    Scientists think the sweetness tricks your brain into releasing insulin anyway in preparation of the incoming sugar but then when it’s not there you just have extra insulin floating around which may or may not lead to insulin sensitivy. I’m sure having too many could be bad for this reason but if it’s something you like then having it in moderation probably won’t do any long term damage.

And I've used artificial sweeteners all over the place while losing weight as well as in maintenance. They've had zero impact. "May or may not lead..." is another way of saying "This is probably B.S...."
  • BexB42
    BexB42 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am trying the no carbs, it makes me actually crave bread, chips, bagels, pizza... Oh the pizza. What happened to me was I felt deprived, so then I binge on carbs. I have taken to LOW amounts of carbs, and they have to be worth it. Not a bag of chips, but a piece of freshly baked bread with olive oil. Is that martini I had going to derail my weight loss? No, but I do plan it into my eating for the week. People who are physically active, like myself, need a certain amount of carbs to be able to "run." There is science for everything, but it definitely individual. SO it is not less confusing, but the bottom line is, everyone who posted is correct. It is up to what works for you.
  • valine128
    valine128 Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Just eat a balanced diet. Eat carbs, protein and fat. It's silly to restrict any of them.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Southpawcj wrote: »
    I am still pretty new to MFP premium. I am trying to get a good game plan and I am so confused. I know that low carb, high protein diets are what some people do while others say it’s all about calories. I’d surely welcome some thoughts and suggestions. Thanks so much!

It's about calories either way...low carb is just one of many ways to control calories...when you substantially cut out an entire macro-nutrient, you're cutting out a lot of calories.